• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Health Services Collegiate Program

Cris Foski

This is a regular occurence once someone separates... When you separate your records go to Archives, then, unless you have tricare for life after your retire, you have the VA, we still have guys who have Tricare for life, but have service connections (which would result in a compensation) where the VA takes care of you. When you fill out the VA forms, you can either opt to receive compensation or retirement pension, I would pick retiring unless you have a ton of medical problems, there's nothing like free health care. People can file service connections (which once again result in compensation) for anything like allergies, scars, you name it. In all reality, everyone should because this enhances VA services, you don't have to pick the compensation when you have a pension, but you file for a service connection, they will take care of everything from the mileage to getting to where you need to go, to surgical services if needed and ordered buy a VA provider. Bigger need for services means opening more VAs where Vets don't have the ability to receive care of specialty services.

I don't feel uncomfortable because while you guys have the safety and security of a job for now, I don't and this helps me get groceries or gas up my car for the service I provided while on submarines, while sent out to 9/11 during the terrorist activities, or providing medical support during the initial push into baghdad, only to be sent straight to the Marines for my next command, and you guys know how that is.

Big tip though guys, once you separate, make a copy of your record, cause it might get lost, and I'd rather you know now than to come in yelling at some poor smuck who gets paid 13 bucks an hour while wearing 4 hats trying really hard NOT to yelled back because this gentleman is a fellow Vet.

So I guess no one really knows then... thanks guys... I'll take it into consideration.

exNavyOffRec

K, to clarify, first of all, that Warren Zevon track was off the chain, secondly, I have a recruiter friend who explains that knee trouble is something Programs like the HSCP strive away from. When I separated, they said get your VA done now, you’ll be glad you did. I did, and they hooked me up with 20%. Thing is, I never needed anything from them. My knee is great and actually better than before… So, while applying to the HSCP program, I find myself a bit nervous cause I don’t want to get disqualified for something that is not an issue. I also started thinking, well how do they find out anyhoo? Lots of here say, my officer recruiter says underneath 30%, I’m underneath, but my buddy says not to mention it. I actually believe in honesty, but don’t want my chances hurt from applying cause of something that is not an issue. I’m also applying for medical, not flying BTW. Just wondering if anyone knows how they will find out about the compensation?
And no, there are no set guidelines about <30% and in the Reserves. That’s false. I found the instruction a while ago, but if you google in some way shape or form, there are some Vet links that explain that You can still be a higher percentage and be in the Reserves. You just can’t take drill pay and compensation pay at the same time.
Failing to disclose info for an officer is grounds for courts martial, there is a former Ens in the brig right now for falsifying info in order to get in.

The 30% deals with what Navy Medicine is comfortable with waivering.

Cris Foski

I'm at 20% with the right knee. I keep hearing, as well as reading from the Army Medical Manual, which is what we follow as well, is that knee gets you disqualified. I really appreciate your feedback on this which from your title, seems like you do the recruiting for Os. Do you have any experience with the HSCP program? I guess I'm just looking for reassurance prior to putting in the time and effort before heading to NRD Atlanta...

exNavyOffRec

Do you feel even a little bit uncomfortable receiving VA disability compensation when you have no "disability"? Or is this a normal occurrence?

As far as disclosing that you are receiving VA disability compensation, I'm pretty sure that there's a question on the physical exam paperwork that asks about that. If so, disclosing is your only valid option.
There has to be some evidence in order to get a rating, it may not be causing issues now but may later, for instance my arches have fallen, don't really notice unless I do hard PT but I will get some money for it, later on down the road it will get worse. In some cases a person will get a 0% rating, that means there is something there but it is causing no issues and requires no meds or anything, however if it gets worse then it can be upgraded.

exNavyOffRec

I'm at 20% with the right knee. I keep hearing, as well as reading from the Army Medical Manual, which is what we follow as well, is that knee gets you disqualified. I really appreciate your feedback on this which from your title, seems like you do the recruiting for Os. Do you have any experience with the HSCP program? I guess I'm just looking for reassurance prior to putting in the time and effort before heading to NRD Atlanta...
Apply for the program you may get an ortho consult but it is worth a shot.

Cris Foski

Thanks Sir, do you think I can just skip to the chase. I'm in the Reserves right now, might have an Ortho guy on my watch, and have him do a clear for go with this. That way, I'm not wasting any time and have it included in my package... Not to worry as well, I bike 11 miles to and from work 4 times a week and hit the gym after, def not a weennneeee.

exNavyOffRec

Thanks Sir, do you think I can just skip to the chase. I'm in the Reserves right now, might have an Ortho guy on my watch, and have him do a clear for go with this. That way, I'm not wasting any time and have it included in my package... Not to worry as well, I bike 11 miles to and from work 4 times a week and hit the gym after, def not a weennneeee.

You could, but I would talk to the recruiter you would be working with to see if it is even necessary based on the medical documents, it shouldn't take long to get the documents submitted to N3M for clearance.

Joseph Rowe

Hey guys, I've read over this e-mail string and I would like to say to you Cris that if you're having any ideas of NOT disclosing this information, please don't. Disclose the info, it sounds like your knee is not an issue and you should be fine.

Sir, I think this young sailor is asking how will the Navy find out. Is it possible for you to just tell him so that he does not make a mistake. Will they contact the VA? This is what I'm sure the Navy does.

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
This is a regular occurence once someone separates... When you separate your records go to Archives, then, unless you have tricare for life after your retire, you have the VA, we still have guys who have Tricare for life, but have service connections (which would result in a compensation) where the VA takes care of you. When you fill out the VA forms, you can either opt to receive compensation or retirement pension, I would pick retiring unless you have a ton of medical problems, there's nothing like free health care. People can file service connections (which once again result in compensation) for anything like allergies, scars, you name it. In all reality, everyone should because this enhances VA services, you don't have to pick the compensation when you have a pension, but you file for a service connection, they will take care of everything from the mileage to getting to where you need to go, to surgical services if needed and ordered buy a VA provider. Bigger need for services means opening more VAs where Vets don't have the ability to receive care of specialty services.
I don't feel uncomfortable because while you guys have the safety and security of a job for now, I don't and this helps me get groceries or gas up my car for the service I provided while on submarines, while sent out to 9/11 during the terrorist activities, or providing medical support during the initial push into baghdad, only to be sent straight to the Marines for my next command, and you guys know how that is.

Big tip though guys, once you separate, make a copy of your record, cause it might get lost, and I'd rather you know now than to come in yelling at some poor smuck who gets paid 13 bucks an hour while wearing 4 hats trying really hard NOT to yelled back because this gentleman is a fellow Vet.

So I guess no one really knows then... thanks guys... I'll take it into consideration.

If you apply for a commissioning program, when you get your medical exam you will have to fill out a form detailing your medical history. When I was doing reserve officer recruiting, the form used was the SF-93. NavyOffRec should be able to tell you if there is a newer or different form in use now. Take a look at the SF-93; as a corpsman, you may be familiar with it. On the back/second page, question 20 specifically asks about disability compensation received, pending or applied for. Any form used in place of the SF-93 likely asks the same kind of question. You do not want to complete these forms with anything but straight, honest answers. (And since you "actually believe in honesty," I guess that won't be a problem.)

You seem to want to have things both ways: you want to continue to receive disability compensation, and yet you don’t want the Navy to consider you disabled. I understand that having a disability rating does not necessarily preclude you from getting picked up for a commissioning program, as long as you meet the required physical standards or get a waiver for standards that you don’t meet. However, in an earlier post you wrote that you are “perfectly fine,” which caused me to wonder why you are receiving VA disability compensation. You make it sound like applying for VA disability compensation is an automatic thing upon separation from active duty, and it is not. You have to decide to file a claim and then file it. You have to explain in your claim what kind of service connected disability you have. A separating service member who is not disabled but claims that they became disabled through their military service, for the purpose of receiving disability compensation, commits fraud. I would think that VA disability compensation is only given for a condition that is considered permanent, or if the disability is not permanent, the disability compensation stops when the disability goes away. I’m sure that someone who knows better will let me know if I am wrong.

I understand that the disability compensation that you get is nice because it helps you get groceries and gas up your car. But it is not payback for the service you provided while on submarines, or for providing medical support during the initial push into Baghdad, only to be sent straight to the Marines for your next command. For that, you received pay and allowances, just like everyone else, and hopefully a measure of job satisfaction. Trying to spin it the way you are is just rationalizing.

If you truly have a service connected disability, than belay my last. But from what I’ve read so far, that doesn’t seem to be the case. I’ve heard of too many cases of people trying to cheat the system for me to be complacent. It’s no better than welfare fraud, and it’s stealing from the vets who are actually disabled and who really do need the VA’s resources.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
.....As far as disclosing that you are receiving VA disability compensation, I'm pretty sure that there's a question on the physical exam paperwork that asks about that. If so, disclosing is your only valid option.

Yes there is.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
OnTopTime,

If the VA gave him disability for his knees, they documented prior problems/treatment from his medical record and if they awarded him 20% you can bet they did an MRI and an orthopedic evaluation. While the damage might not be causing him problems now (hence the "perfectly fine"), this damage does not heal itself and will only become greater as he gets older. The compensation is for the damage that has occured and not the symptoms. If the damage gets worst, he can apply for a higher rating.

You are getting on a moral high horse over something that is an approved practice for vets and in accordance with the law. He would have been a fool not to have his mediacl records reviewed and not make the appropriate claims as later on in life when the damage gets worse and they symptoms do show, he would have a lot harder time showing the service connection. If fact, when you go to the seperation classes, you are advised to have your records reviewed by the experts at the local vet organizations and submit to the VA.

exNavyOffRec

If you apply for a commissioning program, when you get your medical exam you will have to fill out a form detailing your medical history. When I was doing reserve officer recruiting, the form used was the SF-93. NavyOffRec should be able to tell you if there is a newer or different form in use now. Take a look at the SF-93; as a corpsman, you may be familiar with it. On the back/second page, question 20 specifically asks about disability compensation received, pending or applied for. Any form used in place of the SF-93 likely asks the same kind of question. You do not want to complete these forms with anything but straight, honest answers. (And since you "actually believe in honesty," I guess that won't be a problem.)

You seem to want to have things both ways: you want to continue to receive disability compensation, and yet you don’t want the Navy to consider you disabled. I understand that having a disability rating does not necessarily preclude you from getting picked up for a commissioning program, as long as you meet the required physical standards or get a waiver for standards that you don’t meet. However, in an earlier post you wrote that you are “perfectly fine,” which caused me to wonder why you are receiving VA disability compensation. You make it sound like applying for VA disability compensation is an automatic thing upon separation from active duty, and it is not. You have to decide to file a claim and then file it. You have to explain in your claim what kind of service connected disability you have. A separating service member who is not disabled but claims that they became disabled through their military service, for the purpose of receiving disability compensation, commits fraud. I would think that VA disability compensation is only given for a condition that is considered permanent, or if the disability is not permanent, the disability compensation stops when the disability goes away. I’m sure that someone who knows better will let me know if I am wrong.

I understand that the disability compensation that you get is nice because it helps you get groceries and gas up your car. But it is not payback for the service you provided while on submarines, or for providing medical support during the initial push into Baghdad, only to be sent straight to the Marines for your next command. For that, you received pay and allowances, just like everyone else, and hopefully a measure of job satisfaction. Trying to spin it the way you are is just rationalizing.

If you truly have a service connected disability, than belay my last. But from what I’ve read so far, that doesn’t seem to be the case. I’ve heard of too many cases of people trying to cheat the system for me to be complacent. It’s no better than welfare fraud, and it’s stealing from the vets who are actually disabled and who really do need the VA’s resources.

There probably is a form update, but it is basically the same.

In dealing with physical disability ratings it is virtually impossible to cheat the system, it is all based on test/xrays and such, his doc may not have fully explained why is getting the rating, but hearing is a near guarantee for anyone not in an office.

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
OnTopTime,

If the VA gave him disability for his knees, they documented prior problems/treatment from his medical record and if they awarded him 20% you can bet they did an MRI and an orthopedic evaluation. While the damage might not be causing him problems now (hence the "perfectly fine"), this damage does not heal itself and will only become greater as he gets older. The compensation is for the damage that has occured and not the symptoms. If the damage gets worst, he can apply for a higher rating.

You are getting on a moral high horse over something that is an approved practice for vets and in accordance with the law. He would have been a fool not to have his mediacl records reviewed and not make the appropriate claims as later on in life when the damage gets worse and they symptoms do show, he would have a lot harder time showing the service connection. If fact, when you go to the seperation classes, you are advised to have your records reviewed by the experts at the local vet organizations and submit to the VA.

I fully agree that if there's even a hint of a service connected disability, a separating service member would be smart to have his or records reviewed, and if appropriate file a claim. That being said, if there is no current disability, I find it hard to believe that the VA would make payments to an individual to the tune of thousands of dollars a year. I don't see a problem with filing a claim at separation to document the situation, perhaps getting rated at 0% if there is no current disability, and then requesting a review sometime down the road if a disability appears. Otherwise, what's the individual being compensated for? The potential for there to be a disability? The compensation should be for a reduced quality of life. If that factor doesn't exist, neither should the compensation.

If the poster in question has done everything by the book, than I'll get off of my horse and direct my indignation at a nonsensical VA compensation system. When I did TAP class (twice), we were advised to have our medical records screened, and submit a claim to the VA if appropriate- it wasn't an automatic. If the advice given now is for everyone to submit regardless, it's no wonder that the VA claims process is so backed up.

exNavyOffRec

I fully agree that if there's even a hint of a service connected disability, a separating service member would be smart to have his or records reviewed, and if appropriate file a claim. That being said, if there is no current disability, I find it hard to believe that the VA would make payments to an individual to the tune of thousands of dollars a year. I don't see a problem with filing a claim at separation to document the situation, perhaps getting rated at 0% if there is no current disability, and then requesting a review sometime down the road if a disability appears. Otherwise, what's the individual being compensated for? The potential for there to be a disability? The compensation should be for a reduced quality of life. If that factor doesn't exist, neither should the compensation.

If the poster in question has done everything by the book, than I'll get off of my horse and direct my indignation at a nonsensical VA compensation system. When I did TAP class (twice), we were advised to have our medical records screened, and submit a claim to the VA if appropriate- it wasn't an automatic. If the advice given now is for everyone to submit regardless, it's no wonder that the VA claims process is so backed up.
yes you are to submit no matter what, the basis is not to get $$$$ now, but get a 0% rating for anything they feel may cause an issue later, if you don't submit to VA and get a 0% rating a person might as well forget getting anything down the road for real issues.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
The VA, not the member establishes the disability rating. Again, just because there is no pain / symptoms, it doesn't mean there is not damage. The compensation is for the damage caused, not pain suffered.