• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"Navy Freeing up Aviation Training Pipeline"

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Oh snap. Well, anyone who doesnt wanna wash out is just gonna have to study their ass off. I know I will... but its good to have a degree in aerospace engineering just in case.

Yeah, good luck with that. As a primary IP, I flew with enough of engineer types and realized it doesn't much matter what your major is, it is no inidicator of success. Now API, don't know but c'mon, it's API.

PerDiem

Look what I can do!!
Maybe what he meant was that if he attrites, it's good to have that degree as a back-up to possibly find a decent job afterwards. Just my interpretation though.

Kaminoshi

^--- is correct :D.

Im not terribly worried about API. Honestly OCS is more of a hurdle that I need to get over than API.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Maybe what he meant was that if he attrites, it's good to have that degree as a back-up to possibly find a decent job afterwards. Just my interpretation though.

I prefer to see the negative in people and assume the worst. :icon_wink

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Yeah, good luck with that. As a primary IP, I flew with enough of engineer types and realized it doesn't much matter what your major is, it is no inidicator of success. Now API, don't know but c'mon, it's API.

I thought the only indicator of success was whether you had had a paper route at some time in your life. (And not got fired from it...)

I can't remember where I heard this, but it sounded too strange not to be true.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I thought the only indicator of success was whether you had had a paper route at some time in your life. (And not got fired from it...)

I can't remember where I heard this, but it sounded too strange not to be true.

Well ... you probably heard it from the same guy who told me, I guess ... and even though I HATED THOSE RAINY, COLD, ZERO-DARK-THIRTY deliveries of @ 100 lbs of processed wood off of the back of my bike to unappreciative, whiny, cheapskate customers that occasionally had barking/biting dogs that I sprayed w/ ammonia from my anti-dog squirt gun ... it was a great 'character builder' ... and it built up your legs, too ... :)

exhelodrvr

pilot

Well ... you probably heard it from the same guy who told me, I guess ... and even though I HATED THOSE RAINY, COLD, ZERO-DARK-THIRTY deliveries of @ 100 lbs of processed wood off of the back of my bike to unappreciative, whiny, cheapskate customers that occasionally had barking/biting dogs that I sprayed w/ ammonia from my anti-dog squirt gun ... it was a great 'character builder' ... and it built up your legs, too ... :)

4 AM, in some not-so-nice areas of town. Got really good with throwing papers, though, and riding my bike with no hands, while I took papers out of my baskets, folded them, and put them in the sack. (The route was about 3/4 of a mile from my house, so that cut down on the number of trips back to the house.) Of course, once while doing that I wasn't paying attention, and ran into the of a parked car. That got my attention real quick. (And bent the frame of my bike!)

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Yea I had a paper-route too. Here it is.

PaperboyHazards.png

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
^--- is correct :D.

Im not terribly worried about API. Honestly OCS is more of a hurdle that I need to get over than API.

I don't think you really know what you're talking about yet...OCS and API are different entities. They will both pose different challenges that no matter what your degree is in, can challenge you.

Maybe you'll have a leg up in aero, but nav, frr, wx, swimming might pose unforseen problems. Agreed, ocs is the closest alligator to your canoe, but to say it is or won't be tougher than API..without having been, is a bit naiive.

Kycntryboy

pilot
I don't think you really know what you're talking about yet...OCS and API are different entities. They will both pose different challenges that no matter what your degree is in, can challenge you.

Maybe you'll have a leg up in aero, but nav, frr, wx, swimming might pose unforseen problems. Agreed, ocs is the closest alligator to your canoe, but to say it is or won't be tougher than API..without having been, is a bit naiive.

I'm going to agree with both of you. After going through OCS and having to juggle studying and stress, it was nice to get into the college final type studying of API, where all I had to worry about was studying and not everything else.

And with you OU, likewise I saw people who could do OCS flawlessly but couldn't adapt to API.

Kaminoshi

Fairly true, its probably because im more confident in my academic ability than dealing with the pain a DI can put me under. Eh well, doesnt really matter. Im going to go to both eventually.

side note: this summer is taking too long and I am trolling around on forums too much... 4 more months of boredom to go ಠ_ಠ

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator

Oh, in that case, my reasoning still stands. An engineering degree is not an indicator of getting a successful job on the outside as well....based only from what I've seen from friends trying to get jobs in the real world. I have no actual data to back up my opinion :)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
4 AM, in some not-so-nice areas of town. Got really good with throwing papers, though, and riding my bike with no hands, while I took papers out of my baskets, folded them, and put them in the sack. (The route was about 3/4 of a mile from my house, so that cut down on the number of trips back to the house.) Of course, once while doing that I wasn't paying attention, and ran into the of a parked car. That got my attention real quick. (And bent the frame of my bike!)

Maybe. I had a paper route in which I didn't get fired but my success in the Navy and life in general has been a bit half-ass at best :icon_tong I must have had it at the wrong time lol

exhelodrvr

pilot
Maybe. I had a paper route in which I didn't get fired but my success in the Navy and life in general has been a bit half-ass at best :icon_tong I must have had it at the wrong time lol

Well, if having a paper route actually helped my career, I shudder to think what it would have been like had I not had the paper route.

Status
Not open for further replies.