• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"Navy Freeing up Aviation Training Pipeline"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Random Task

pilot
If you fail an exam for which the FAA publishes the entire question bank (i.e. Ultimate Gouge) you fail at life. Likewise, my dog can land a 172...using only the trim. He does have a problem with the comms though.

My dog is great with comms...can't fly for shit though. Maybe they should fly together

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I am fairly certain they are trying to make IFS an attrition program now too. All of my class's pilots were sent to Sky Warriors for their flight portion due to the added stress, and now they make everyone take the stage exams at the base with a proctor. 2 failures on those tests sends you to a PRB along with failures of the FAA exam (80%) and failures of check rides. Could just be my interpretation though.

I'll say that IFS requires work, and if you can't hack it in IFS, things probably aren't going to go well moving forward. That sucks about the stage exams. When they first did them online at home they were basically open book.

Oh, and SkyWarrior isn't some flight school grinder. Sure, you're scheduled to fly every day, but that's the worst part of it. Instructors are a mixed bag like anywhere. I was all worried because I had the "mean" instructor as my Primary. Turns out he was really cool.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I'll say that IFS requires work, and if you can't hack it in IFS, things probably aren't going to go well moving forward. That sucks about the stage exams. When they first did them online at home they were basically open book.

Oh, and SkyWarrior isn't some flight school grinder. Sure, you're scheduled to fly every day, but that's the worst part of it. Instructors are a mixed bag like anywhere. I was all worried because I had the "mean" instructor as my Primary. Turns out he was really cool.

I don't know how seriously I can take a program in which civvies wear wings and flight suits (complete with Navy and USMC patches) and yet have long hair and beards... It's not like these guys are from ATAC flying Kfirs and A-4s in an aggressor role. They are teaching in 172s...

I did IFS at AMS in Milton. No one was pretending to be anything more than they were there.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The one thing I hope for the studs going through now is that standardization has improved in IFS. They always talked about the "standardization" for the school when I did it, but after going through primary and the RAG I definitely see that the Navy's version of standardization and IFS's are completely different, almost to the point that I felt (although it didn't hurt me in the long run, see wings) that everything pretty much varied from instructor to instructor. I still wonder if my roommate in Pcola, who failed out of IFS, had a different primary instructor and different instructor on her check, would she have made it though that checkride which caused her to attrite. Knowing what I know now it sort of makes me uncomfortable that people's military careers rest in the hands of civilian CFIs. Some of them were extremely professional and excellent teachers, but others....

bigwill2876

Current NSS,

43 move along, 42.5 bye, either new community (if available) or civvies, is the current gouge.

One question right or wrong will keep you in or out, but it won't put you from 42/43 to 50 NSS using the previous 200 grade profiles/averages. That is not statistically possible.

Only problem with these artificial cutoffs is the new tests with no gouge and poorly written questions with no correct answers has given the new classes (new non-stolen tests) a class average that is 4-5 points lower than previous (old/not stolen tests) classes, that is incorrect for precise measurement to previous classes NSS.

Using the base given that every class has approx the same amount of intellect ((less USMC :), Zoomies, NROTC, OCS and USNA) per class and work essentially the same amount of study time to test. All has been proven is that something happened to reduce the class averages. So either the intructors started teaching poorly or everyone got dumb, or the tests/questions/answers are bogus.

But "they" have lowered the number of Pool A/B'ers, which was the intent at this time.

So the old adage that "life isn't fair, get over it" is alive and functioning...

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
I'll buy pretty easily that 43 NSS is about an 88 - 92 average. Study your @ss off, don't miss more than 5 questions on any test, and if there's a question you're not sure about, ask the instructor for clarification during the test. The worst that can happen is they can say, "I can't really help you." Most likely they will give you some kind of hint. Obviously, only use that technique if there's a question where you're really not sure what it's asking / which answer is "more correct."

Sounds like another really great way to boost your chances is to rock out on the PFA. Just sayin', do what you can with a bad situation.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
and if there's a question you're not sure about, ask the instructor for clarification during the test. The worst that can happen is they can say, "I can't really help you." Most likely they will give you some kind of hint. Obviously, only use that technique if there's a question where you're really not sure what it's asking / which answer is "more correct."

And make sure you ask those questions loud enough for the rest of the group to hear. Chances are, if you are asking a question, someone else has the same question. Remember, it's not you and your classmates against each other, its all of you against the system.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Sure, you're scheduled to fly every day, but that's the worst part of it.

Bite your tongue.

The one thing I hope for the studs going through now is that standardization has improved in IFS. They always talked about the "standardization" for the school when I did it, but after going through primary and the RAG I definitely see that the Navy's version of standardization and IFS's are completely different, almost to the point that I felt (although it didn't hurt me in the long run, see wings) that everything pretty much varied from instructor to instructor. I still wonder if my roommate in Pcola, who failed out of IFS, had a different primary instructor and different instructor on her check, would she have made it though that checkride which caused her to attrite. Knowing what I know now it sort of makes me uncomfortable that people's military careers rest in the hands of civilian CFIs. Some of them were extremely professional and excellent teachers, but others....

From what I saw when I went through, sure, your roommate might have progressed through IFS had she flown with a different instructor, but it would have likely only passed the buck on to wherever your roommate was headed next.

There appeared to be no correlation amongst strong performers in IFS and in Primary, but poor performers in IFS almost always did poorly in Primary.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I don't know how seriously I can take a program in which civvies wear wings and flight suits (complete with Navy and USMC patches) and yet have long hair and beards... It's not like these guys are from ATAC flying Kfirs and A-4s in an aggressor role. They are teaching in 172s...

I did IFS at AMS in Milton. No one was pretending to be anything more than they were there.

Wow I don't think I would have enjoyed that. That sounds quite a bit different than my IFS experience with at Quantico Flying Club at Shannon airport. Our instructors didn't give a shit, mine got airsick regularly, the owner of the field shot at geese near the runway, and the head instructor hit a moving truck driving down the road while he was on final. Good times though.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Wow I don't think I would have enjoyed that. That sounds quite a bit different than my IFS experience with at Quantico Flying Club at Shannon airport. Our instructors didn't give a shit, mine got airsick regularly, the owner of the field shot at geese near the runway, and the head instructor hit a moving truck driving down the road while he was on final. Good times though.

Sounds like the flying club went to shit while MCAF was being renovated... maybe thats part of the reason why the base CO said they weren't welcome back when they re opened the field

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
I am fairly certain they are trying to make IFS an attrition program now too. All of my class's pilots were sent to Sky Warriors for their flight portion due to the added stress, and now they make everyone take the stage exams at the base with a proctor. 2 failures on those tests sends you to a PRB along with failures of the FAA exam (80%) and failures of check rides. Could just be my interpretation though.

The IFS tests are from the JEPPESEN COURSEWARE (unless it changed). If farmer bob can take those tests and earn his PPL, anyone worth calling a Naval Aviator should be able to kick the shit out of them.
Yes IFS is an attrition program. NOT EVERYONE IS CUT OUT FOR THIS JOB. If you do end up earning your wings, you will appreciate the fact that the guy flying off your wing did not continuosly suck in IFS, API, Primary, or Advanced.

These "BAD TEST TAKERS" have a rude awakening when their squadron expects their NATOPS exams to be a 100%. Its part of the required professional knowledge of the job you want. Stop bitching about it! It only gets harder.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
I'm getting the feeling different communities have different approaches to NATOPS exams. . .

Well perhaps as close to 100% as possible. Its not a requirement, but the grade is recorded in your natops jacket. We dont have HAC or 2p/3p so the Natops exam is one of the few exams we get. Basically my point being, if 80 is something tough to achieve there is a rude awakening down the road.

bigwill2876

Currently a 43 NSS is going to be about a 92 average or better, depending on how you do on each test and the percentage scoring for that particular test. For example, a 94 in Engines will help your more towards your final NSS more than the same 94 PRT score with the percentage scoring.

That may go down as the new un/stolen test is gouged for Pool B'ers or adjusted for bad/unclear questions and the 200 scores for the NSS base guidelines gets adjusted down with falling class scores.

What will happen when the new batch starts arriving from USNA and NROTC is unclear unless "they" figure out more funded stash points to keep pool A under the 400-600 it was the last 9 months.

An 89 average will only get you GAWN at present.

SWO, IT or civvies is current IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.