• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"Navy Freeing up Aviation Training Pipeline"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
A 43 nss is not that difficult to get. The average of test in the history of API is around 93. The test average now is around 92.5. Whatever the adacemic average may be, that will equal a 50 nss. So if average is 93, that will equal 50 nss. To get a 43 average means to be below average. People have the misconception that the minimum cut off grade is getting 93 average which is so not true.

/copy and paste in all the other NSS swamped threads +1

KickintInSD

A 43 nss is not that difficult to get. The average of test in the history of API is around 93. The test average now is around 92.5. Whatever the adacemic average may be, that will equal a 50 nss. So if average is 93, that will equal 50 nss. To get a 43 average means to be below average. People have the misconception that the minimum cut off grade is getting 93 average which is so not true.

This would be awesome...if it were true. I just met two people up for redesignation/force shaping boards with 93 averages.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
This would be awesome...if it were true. I just met two people up for redesignation/force shaping boards with 93 averages.

Are you saying they attired with 93 averages? Or chose to take the redesignation one time good deal because they wanted to? Not the same.

DaSilva11

A-Pool SNA
Two guys just got into the REDES opportunity today after they were told by the LtCol that their 92 avg's weren't good enough and they had a day to get their package ready for the REDES or be attrited. They've also been here since last june......waited a whole year to just be told a 92, A-average means you can't fly NAVY. It's too bad, but there are quite a few API guys trying out this REDES thing who we're close to making the avg test score and the 43 NSS.

sanders

To all NAVY API students, you knew this already since the Redesig brief yesterday, but I thought everyone else would be interested.

Just to make sure...this whole 43 NSS is for Navy, not USMC? Not saying I'm going to slack off by any means, but as long as I get a 80, I'm still good right?

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I call bullshit...sort of. First, there's more to the story. There has to be. However, it's pretty easy to believe that although a 93 would pull you a 50 NSS, a 92 would pull you a 43 NSS. Still though, I think the sour grapes and heartbreak are causing exaggeration and hyperbole. Especially if those who were redes'ing because they didn't think they had the grades had not yet completed. If you pull a 100 on Nav and FRR you can easily move ahead.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I look at the test grades when I walk through the building. There's a spread in there, not everyone stacked up at 93. I find it hard to believe that one average point is the difference between 43 and 50. Statistically possible? Sure.

KickintInSD

They were attrited with Avg=93. I have no idea about their PRT, but one of them had a 41.5 NSS, the other a 42.5. Since this redesig opportunity was good until two days ago, they got very very lucky. Right now, anyone sent to the force shaping board is sent home..except maybe prior SWO's.

firefriendly

pilot
While API has some good qualities like basic swim/survival/etc, I thought the classes were a waste of time. It's a good program to weed people out, if the purpose is to simply thin the herd. However, to say it has the ability to legitimately determine whose going to succeed and fail beyond API is a stretch.

To be clear, I would have attrited out of the present API with my grades and I worked pretty hard; I just happened to be a terrible test taker. Granted I didn't have my back up against a wall or the additional pressure as many of you do now. I did poorly in academics in both primary and advanced but was otherwise a strong performer. It's more important how you handle yourself in the air rather than a classroom in my humble opinion.

I say this in case anyone is borderline near the cut, doubting themselves, and considering redes-ing. DON'T DO IT. You will forever regret it if you voluntarily give up Naval Aviation. I'd fight fangs out as long as possible if I was down there now near the cut. I'd let them tell me up and down that I'm about to be attrited, but I'd make them attrite me. Then, I'd fight the next fight as hard as possible for a redes. And so on.

Krafty1

Head in the clouds
Ok I classed up recently and this is what we were told. The 43 NSS falls between an 88-92 avg. In most recent cases of attrites the PFA score was a factor. The way things are weighted missing 1 question on say the Nav test could make all the difference depending on your progress to that point.

With that said, having been in A-pool recently, you are only going to drive yourself crazy worrying about the NSS and test avg now, the redes opportunity has already passed so you are in it for the long haul now unless you DOR. For all anyone knows this could be over by the time some of you class up, who knows.

MidWestEwo

None
I am fairly certain they are trying to make IFS an attrition program now too. All of my class's pilots were sent to Sky Warriors for their flight portion due to the added stress, and now they make everyone take the stage exams at the base with a proctor. 2 failures on those tests sends you to a PRB along with failures of the FAA exam (80%) and failures of check rides. Could just be my interpretation though.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
If you fail an exam for which the FAA publishes the entire question bank (i.e. Ultimate Gouge) you fail at life. Likewise, my dog can land a 172...using only the trim. He does have a problem with the comms though.

MidWestEwo

None
Well put..It is pretty hard getting through the ground school part though with only the online course and no instructor. Expect around 8 hours or more per day devoted to staring at a computer screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.