• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"Navy Freeing up Aviation Training Pipeline"

Status
Not open for further replies.

KickintInSD

To all NAVY API students, you knew this already since the Redesig brief yesterday, but I thought everyone else would be interested.

http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=53431

The numbers we heard were around 180, and the redesig option was good till mid June. Those that take this option have an automatic slot in the community the numbers work for. (or so they said, we all know how promises work in A-Pool...) After that, attrition = Re-designation board, and competing with all the other ENS from other communities. As of right now, 90% (real number) of those attriting, get sent home at the redesig board, and do NOT stay in the Active Duty Navy.

So out of a ~600-800 person pool (not sure of the exact numbers, but we filled half the auditorium, including those in API) they need 180 to attrite/re-designate...around 25%.

The API test averages are in the mid 90's, so the NSS score cutoff is getting harder and harder to achieve (like it was meant to). I included a ROUGH drawing estimate of the "curve" now being established. Note that this does not show any real numbers, just educated guesses from the numbers very sparingly shown to us.
API.PNG

No complaints, just gouge. If you have any questions about the current situation/views, let me know.

Shakeszilla

I don't really know entirely what this means, but it has me worried. I was pro-rec'd back in April for NFO and am waiting on a final select right now, though I anticipate a late September or early October OCS class date. Does this mean I can expect an API slot upon commissioning? Or will they try to get me to change my mind and go with another designator? I wouldn't mind being offered the time waiting for a spot to take some graduate courses, especially if it would help me with the technical aspects of API and later schools. And speaking of the NSS cutoff, when exactly do you take that test? after commissioning, during API or after?

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
The current NSS doesn't apply to NFOs. But that doesn't mean it won't apply in the future. Worry about something else right now, like getting prepared for OCS.

wrecklessfool

just slackin...
I drank the Kool Aid and dropped my redes request. I got too much time in to gamble with attrition when the odds are stacked against us.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
To all NAVY API students, you knew this already since the Redesig brief yesterday, but I thought everyone else would be interested.

http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=53431

The numbers we heard were around 180, and the redesig option was good till mid June. Those that take this option have an automatic slot in the community the numbers work for. (or so they said, we all know how promises work in A-Pool...) After that, attrition = Re-designation board, and competing with all the other ENS from other communities. As of right now, 90% (real number) of those attriting, get sent home at the redesig board, and do NOT stay in the Active Duty Navy.

So out of a ~600-800 person pool (not sure of the exact numbers, but we filled half the auditorium, including those in API) they need 180 to attrite/re-designate...around 25%.

The API test averages are in the mid 90's, so the NSS score cutoff is getting harder and harder to achieve (like it was meant to). I included a ROUGH drawing estimate of the "curve" now being established. Note that this does not show any real numbers, just educated guesses from the numbers very sparingly shown to us.
View attachment 11590

No complaints, just gouge. If you have any questions about the current situation/views, let me know.

<nerd>Those graphs are jacked up, bro.</nerd>

Some days you win, and some days you lose. It sucks for the guys in A-pool right now, but power through if you want it.

bigwill2876

Any thoughts on the powers that be changing the NSS score from around 43 with the current B Poolers that are using the new tests that were written after the theft of the old tests, or putting the new tests under some type of curve ?

It appears with no gouge and faulty scheduling of test taking, after sitting around waiting for the new tests to be written, that the current B class averages are down 4 - 5 points per class with the new tests.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I wouldn't expect them to back away from the 43NSS to pass. There is a big push to eliminate the backlog and this is a proven method.

bigwill2876

Classic !

Pipeline gets pinched, tests get pinched, the current 200 to figure out what the NSS curve with new tests and no base scores get pinched...

I guess I'll have to dig out my old copy of "Catch 22" !

You can't make some of this stuff up...

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Classic !

Pipeline gets pinched, tests get pinched, the current 200 to figure out what the NSS curve with new tests and no base scores get pinched...

I guess I'll have to dig out my old copy of "Catch 22" !

You can't make some of this stuff up...

The 43NSS thing wasn't in effect for very long prior to the tests being compromised so the new tests, with lower scores shouldn't have much of an effect except keeping the academic score that equates to the 43NSS lower. Once the first class who takes these tests completes the academic phase of API there will be a baseline of what grades = 43NSS. The compromise of the old tests may have made the playing field a bit more level in the grand scheme of things.

Having gone through this stuff back on '05, it sucks. However, I don't think they'll get a better product using the alternative method. At least using this method, even though a high API NSS doesn't neccessarily equate to good performance in primary, there is some amount of personal performance involved.

What is the alternative method? You'd have to ask some of the old old guys for first hand stories, but it appearently involved sitting everyone down in an auditorium and having them open up the envelopes under thir seats... the ones with the pink paper in their envelope were RIF'd immediately.

bigwill2876

I had a long spiffy reply that got put into Internet limbo so here goes short...

Planning is the way;

The pinch at API has been ongoing for months, add in the additional down time up the ladder at Primary and you have a huge cluster in Pensicola.

What would it take to give additional funds to the stash points (O-1's at various USNA offices and recruiting wherevers) for the pre-API'ers rather than bloat the budget with hundreds of Pool A'ers and now ratcheting up NSS scores with tests having no base line for knowing how the test ranks in relation to the compromised (a nice way to say STOLEN) in hardness and even if some of the questions/answers are correctly written or given correct answers.

or;

Reduce the pool of pre-API with alternative Service Selections PRIOR to them sitting waxing cars, polishing golf clubs for half a year and then "giving " them the choice.

Yes a 43 NSS will attrite, but at what price ?

RussBow6

once they get the #s down to where they need em the nss will go back to normal... (i think/hope?)

for those people that haven't done IFS yet and better yet the guys not even through OCS yet... this whole mess should be done before we're affected.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
once they get the #s down to where they need em the nss will go back to normal... (i think/hope?)

for those people that haven't done IFS yet and better yet the guys not even through OCS yet... this whole mess should be done before we're affected.

It seems the people here now and those spring grads getting here soon will bear the brunt of the cuts. Let this be an early Navy education to us all: Timing is everything...

A 43 nss is not that difficult to get. The average of test in the history of API is around 93. The test average now is around 92.5. Whatever the adacemic average may be, that will equal a 50 nss. So if average is 93, that will equal 50 nss. To get a 43 average means to be below average. People have the misconception that the minimum cut off grade is getting 93 average which is so not true.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
A 43 nss is not that difficult to get. The average of test in the history of API is around 93. The test average now is around 92.5. Whatever the adacemic average may be, that will equal a 50 nss. So if average is 93, that will equal 50 nss. To get a 43 average means to be below average. People have the misconception that the minimum cut off grade is getting 93 average which is so not true.

You know if someone had explained that to me a few weeks ago I'd have been a lot less confused. Thanks for clearing that up.

Status
Not open for further replies.