• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Football

xmid

pilot
Contributor
When you consider that 100% of Navy's players will be serving their country and putting their lives on the line after graduation, I believe Navy football has a certain honor to it. There are no players there that are just using it as a stepping stone to go to the NFL, like most college teams. They are players with more in mind than themselves and what benefits them. I enjoy rooting for the underdog. Sure Navy will never play for a national championship, but then again thats not what it is about there is it?....

beau

Bubba is right...they are fun to watch. I only care about the ND game and the Army game..and a bowl game if that happens....

I always pray during the ND game cause we seriously need to break the losing streak....though this year that seems pretty far fetched with the Irish's early success. God they have had some Heartbreakers in that series.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
xmid said:
When you consider that 100% of Navy's players will be serving their country and putting their lives on the line after graduation...
Here you go. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2005/draft/players/68086.html

Be sure to check out the year and the school.

or more here...http://www.hometownannapolis.com/cgi-bin/read/2005/09_06-28/NAS

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2157650

Yea, this guy almost didn't have to serve. And as it looks now, his commitment has been reduced to 2 years.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
I don't agree with letting athletes out of their commitment, but it's pretty hard to argue for holding them to it when the Navy is letting flight school attrites and anyone who DORs out with no repercussions. The Navy hasn't agreeded to release this guy yet, and even if they do, the program is 2 years active, then 5 (I think) reserve where he has to to do some PR and recruiting-type duty.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Steve Wilkins said:
Does anyone really care about Navy football unless they're playing Army?

I'm not even an Academy grad and I love watching Navy football.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
Does anyone really care about Navy football unless they're playing Army?
Settle down folks...comment above was made with a great deal of sarcasm

Hence...
Steve Wilkins said:
There are more important things you should be worried about, like whether Florida is gonna beat the sh!t out of FSU this year.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Our FB that signed w/ the 'Fins... Its actually better for the Navy to have him in the NFL and not on a ship... great guy, but not really officer material.

nfo2b

Well, not anymore... :(
Steve Wilkins said:
Settle down folks...comment above was made with a great deal of sarcasm

Hence...
Perhaps, but your tone has been a tad antagonistic lately, in other threads as well. Cranky geezer. ;)
Whassa matta, Steve-o, the wifey not givin' you none lately? :p
But I concede...I don't really care about much outside the Big-12, the Big-10, the SEC, the ACC, and the Pac-10. Blame it on my short attention span.

phrogpilot73

Let me just say, it made for a tough plebe year (we were 0-10 that year), and the interaction between me and my second class goes something like this:
"So, who's your favorite football team?"
"Navy Sir!"
"Seriously, who?"
"Navy Sir!"
"You really don't have to give me that Plebe answer..."
"Sir, I've had season tickets since I was six. My favorite team really is Navy"
"Man, sucks to be you."

Just got back from the drive up to Harvard on the Severn. Disappointing that they lost, but both offense and defense played strong. Just a different times in the game... Once they hit a groove - WATCH OUT!

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
phrogpilot73 said:
Let me just say, it made for a tough plebe year (we were 0-10 that year)

What year was that? My plebe year was 2001-2002... and we were 0-10 then too... kinda sucked.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
nfo2b said:
Perhaps, but your tone has been a tad antagonistic lately, in other threads as well. Cranky geezer. ;)
A4's was gone for awhile, so I didn't have anyone to argue with.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
With an atmosphere where academy grads are let go from their commitments because of issues after graduation, why not let him go to the NFL. He would be worth his weight in gold to the Navy in the NFL. As I recall David Robinson aka "the admiral" only served a couple of years active duty. I don't even know how the value of Eckel's playing every Sunday on national TV would compare to the cost of running all those "Rocket science is more fun with actual rockets" commercials...