• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Federal vs. Marine Federal

Raptor2216

I had no idea that all this was even available to me already. I just started an account with USAA and i'll probably do my banking with NFCU. I hope it's all as good as everyone has made it out to be.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
This what i got from a friend about USAA loans:

The USAA loan is available 18 months prior to commisioning date. It ranges from2500 to $25,000 and has a flat 3.59% interest rate. Payment is deferred iether 90 days after commisioning or 18 months after you take yout the loan, whichever one is quicker. You get the money directly into your account within a day or so of applying for it over the phone. The only thing is that you have to have your direct deposit transferred over to USAA for payment purposes. They have 2.5% interest on their savings account and another on their checking..that you get back..a lot better than other banks...Transferring direct deposit to them isn't necesserily a bad thing. Its a good deal and a lot better than paying the 11% apr from the dealership or other banks

SlickAg

pilot
When I talked to USAA, they told me I could get it one year before I was commissioned, and you can defer payments up to one year after you take it. 20K of the loan must be for a secured loan (automobile only) and 5K may be an unsecured loan. You can use up to 25K for a car, or any combination in between. One of my buddies has a friend at West Point, and they call it the cow loan, b/c all the cows (juniors) get it May of their junior year, get a car, and then start paying it as soon as they get their bars.

Circle K

pilot
Amazing what that prime rate going up each time the fed reserve board meets will do. My "career starter loan" was 20000 from USAA @1.00% and 5000 from Navy Mutual Aid @1.25%. (Spring 2003) Keep enough of it in savings and investments and it's almost free.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
20K of the loan must be for a secured loan (automobile only) and 5K may be an unsecured loan. You can use up to 25K for a car, or any combination in between.

It can go to more then just an automobile. I know a guy who used the loan to buy his plane.

SlickAg

pilot
It can go to more then just an automobile. I know a guy who used the loan to buy his plane.

That'd be pretty sweet, how long ago was it? A couple of weeks ago they told me car only. I think you can get it up to a year after commissioning. Call them on Monday 888-306-6683.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
It was a about 2 years ago... Another person i know recently (like Aug/sep) was looking to purchase a cub kit, originally he was told auto only, but after some checking they said it was possible as well. You probably just have to get the right person when you call them up... If you don't like what your hearing from them, press them to do some research for you, or just call back and try dealing with a different person.

Raptor2216

What an awesome company. I just called today and within a few mins they gave me a $25,000 loan at 2% for 5 years. It's better to pay off the student loans with this loan and pay this at a lower interest rate. Anyway..."i'm rich b%a@ch!"