• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Federal vs. Marine Federal

motiv8r

I am going to head to Alpha co at TBS in less than 2 weeks time. Obviously I will be opening an account in a military bank for direct deposit, ATM availability etc. As far as I can tell, my options are Marine Federal Credit Union or Navy FCU. My platoon commander at OCS said that although he was not allowed to actually recommend one over the other, he personally used Navy Federal because it had a lot more locations and he considered it a better bank. Does anyone have any experience they can share? Given the fact that I am a Marine, is there some reason I don't know why I should open a Marine Federal account?

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
USAA
Better online interface, faster direct deposit (I always get paid a day earlier than my friends who use NFCU), and great overall services.

I also have a Navy FCU account.

Crowbar

None
The only reason I haven't switched to USAA is that I just don't feel like having to deal with the hassle of it. I have Navy Fed, I ditched Marine Fed a long time ago due to some really bad experiences we had with them (repeatedly, not just a one time thing).
The name of your bank really doesn't mean anything, it's more about the quality of the services they provide. Other than my savings/checking, everything else I do (credit card or two, insurance, IRAs, brokerage acct, etc) is done through USAA. I've bought two houses using their (USAA's) Mover's Advantage or whatever it's called and gotten a check at closing each time just for using the real estate agent they recommended.

Edit: USAA means United Services Automobile Association.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
After glancing at the MFCU website, yeah NFCU does have many more branches around the country. Don't know much about MFCU, but I have been very happy with NFCU over the last 11 years. Good customer service, decent products/rates, very understanding military policies (understanding BAH, PCS, etc.) I got my first mortgage through them and I was very happy.
Just as an interesting tidbit, at TBS you will be closer to NFCU HQ than MFCU HQ.

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
I've been a huge fan of USAA. I haven't had any problems with them at all and it seems they can pretty much help you out with any and all of your financial needs.

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
USAA is definitely the way to go from banking, to a little investing, to auto and home loans...they have been great for me and my wife..

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
NFCU has waay more assets than MFCU and from what I'm told more branches. However, my dad just clued me into USAA and says they have some great service and ridiculously low credit card rates.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
what does USAA stand for?
It's already been said but I'll just add my endorsement. It stands for your car insurance, your renter's or house insurance, your banking, your mutual funds and just about anything else you need financially.

Great service. You can do everything including paying all your bills online. Service reps via phone 24/7.

Malice 1

pilot
I have NFCU because my dad was in the navy. I like the convenience of having more branches around the country.

I'm kinda fed up with NFCU lately though. I use thier online web bill pay feature, and they have screwed up twice. I got my cable TV cutoff once because they screwed up my online payment. Just recently, they screwed up sending in my car insurance payment. I got a letter indicating I had been driving uninsured for two weeks.

Thier online interface leaves a little to be desired also. I'll find myself having random numbers displayed on my computer screen, that bear little relevance to my actual acct. balances.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I have NFCU because my dad was in the navy. I like the convenience of having more branches around the country.
Who cares if USAA does not actually have any branches anywhere. You can do it all by phone or internet except for getting cash. Even here USAA has you covered. Because they have no ATMs of their own, USAA will reimburse any ATM fees up to something like $20.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I use USAA for just about everything. Paying bills online, car/renter's insurance, IRA, etc., it's all with USAA. There has been one mix up in the last 7 years I've been with them, and not only did they call me to let me know, they called the company the bill was supposed to go to. When some douche nozzle (there you go Brett), pot-brownie-eating, long haired, hippy, 'no nukes', pinko, che-loving, commie bastard burned through a red light and schwacked my car, USAA was there to hook me up. They paid for a rental, extended the limit on the rental when their repair shop took way longer than they needed to, and were generally incredible to deal with. I refinanced my car through them, too. Hell, they even offer custom jeweler services and a nice payment option if you're looking to buy shiny stuff.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Talking about NFCU and USAA (I'm a member of both), which one should I get a car loan from? I will probably be replacing my '88 chevy nova this spring and just wondering which one has worked better for you guys.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
When some douche nozzle (there you go Brett), pot-brownie-eating, long haired, hippy, 'no nukes', pinko, che-loving, commie bastard burned through a red light and schwacked my car, USAA was there to hook me up.

Thats gotta be one of the most imaginative descriptions I've ever read. Damn near fell out of my chair laughing.

But for the topic at hand, I agree completely with many above posters about USAA. I've got everything thru them, and have never had any problems. I was able to make a claim after Ivan last year and got my check extrememly quickly. I highly recommend them.