• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Dedicated SAR Squadrons

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I'll just say this. I think you'll think about it differently as you approach your MSR, getting close to 20. Do you really want to take a pay cut, and be the "new guy" at that point? Maybe so, just pointing out some realities. There is a lot of info on this site about pros/cons of different greener pastures. Not arguing against or for, but sometimes they're not always greener.

I meant to say this, and I *think JTS* is concurring. The greener pasture you want to go to in another 10 years is not rotary wing independent contractor. The pay is garbage. You will have skills for everything else. This isn't to say that finishing out in the CG is a bad move. Just to say that flying helo medevac or oil isn't going to be what you could hold given experience.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
I meant to say this, and I *think JTS* is concurring. The greener pasture you want to go to in another 10 years is not rotary wing independent contractor. The pay is garbage. You will have skills for everything else. This isn't to say that finishing out in the CG is a bad move. Just to say that flying helo medevac or oil isn't going to be what you could hold given experience.
Yeah, I wasn't contradicting any of your points...I was just pointing out the downside of pursuing an IST to the CG at year 16-17 of AD service. TBH, I don't think the CG would accept a transfer with that service profile. They'd want a dude a little less long in the tooth (TIS wise).

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
As others have mentioned, it definitely sounds like Whidbey SAR.

Fun fact: Growler squadrons will sometimes do surprise survival training with the Whidbey SAR squadron. They'll schedule aircrew for a flight, let them brief and dress, then when they go to walk they get told, "Surprise! You're going up into the mountains with the SAR guys".

The intent is to show aircrew how much it sucks to be in the Cascades if you aren't dressed for egress.
I did the China Lake version of this. Went out to the Trona pinnacles and got “rescued”. They hoisted me under the helo in a sling. Tons of fun. :D

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The greener pasture you want to go to in another 10 years is not rotary wing independent contractor. The pay is garbage.

I'm not arguing your overall point, and agree that what you may want now may not be what you want later, but I'm a little confused by the quoted statement above. As a(n) (non-independent) contractor, my compensation was on par with O-5 compensation.

You may be referring to the private HAA/HEMS world, in which case the pay is...complicated. But overall, the industry has had a huge pay increase in the last 2 years and, coupled with a pension, is very livable. I agree it can potentially be less than you're worth, but it's not the same as it used to be.

croakerfish

pilot
After winging and selecting Sierras this past September, definitely seems like station SAR is the dream assignment, at least to me. Flying up in the mountains is exactly the type of flying that draws me in.

Flight School and FRS instructors seem to be lined up in saying Guam Exped squadron does the most SAR when it comes to numbers of rescues.

Sitting at 10 years time in service right now so not TOO concerned about not hitting 20 after MSR. I hear a lot of people talking about transferring to the Coast Guard after MSR and possibly even beforehand? Although a second Inter-Service Transfer in my career would definitely bring back the pokemon "collect them all" jokes.
If I had to pick a location for Coast Guard though, would definitely pick Traverse City, MI, Kodiak, AK, or somewhere in Florida.
Guam is for sure the way to go if you want to maximize your exposure to SAR.

Check over the DCA requirements carefully, IIRC there’s a max time in service restriction.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
As others have said, my friends who went USCG have had mixed things to say about their transition - grass wasn’t greener, just a different shade of green. They briefly suspended the rank/pay reduction a few years back, but last I saw and all my friends’ experiences have been they took one. It’s particularly painful because by that point they are often a O-4 select and then put on O-2 - a big pay cut.

MGoBrew11

pilot
Coast Guard DCA changes with market competitiveness. As was alluded, there is technically a 10 year AD service cap. I have seen them waive it up to 11-12.

Right now they suspended the commission as an O-2 thing. Pilots are commissioning as O-3, but it could always go back. That is still kind of a demotion (or an actual one depending on timing) because by then you’ll be almost an O-4.

Like @DanMa1156 said, it is a different shade of green according to my friends that have done it. It really just depends what you want out of your career at that point. I myself was very close to doing it. I liked the idea of still flying -60s and military flying without the deployments. I’m glad I am where I am now though too.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Another great gig, especially for helo types with H-60 experience is AF Reserve Air Reserve Technician with AF HH-60 units. GS-12/13 and commissioned service as a pilot in the HH-60.
There are only two squadrons left, correct? One in New York and another near San Francisco CA?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I'm not arguing your overall point, and agree that what you may want now may not be what you want later, but I'm a little confused by the quoted statement above. As a(n) (non-independent) contractor, my compensation was on par with O-5 compensation.

You may be referring to the private HAA/HEMS world, in which case the pay is...complicated. But overall, the industry has had a huge pay increase in the last 2 years and, coupled with a pension, is very livable. I agree it can potentially be less than you're worth, but it's not the same as it used to be.

That all is good to hear, and I'm glad that things have improved. This all being said, I am basing my statement on what a guy or gal *could* (in this hiring environment) be making at a FW 121 shop. Even O-5 compensation doesn't compare, even as a (soon-to-be) yr 3 FO. But for those who really like flying helos, totally get it. And that all isn't to say that 121 flying doesn't have its warts either. I'm sure our helo brethren are home a lot more nights, and also maybe not subject as much to the boom or bust cycle the airlines are beholden to. But, perhaps we are in agreement on the point that a first tour JO (regardless of how much prior time he has), may not have future plans interwoven into their dream sheet for the next tour. I know I certainly didn't. And I also certainly never envisioned flying for the airlines ever in my life. Which is 100% fine. Pick the next navy tour that sounds exciting. That's what I've always done.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
That all is good to hear, and I'm glad that things have improved. This all being said, I am basing my statement on what a guy or gal *could* (in this hiring environment) be making at a FW 121 shop. Even O-5 compensation doesn't compare, even as a (soon-to-be) yr 3 FO. But for those who really like flying helos, totally get it. And that all isn't to say that 121 flying doesn't have its warts either. I'm sure our helo brethren are home a lot more nights, and also maybe not subject as much to the boom or bust cycle the airlines are beholden to. But, perhaps we are in agreement on the point that a first tour JO (regardless of how much prior time he has), may not have future plans interwoven into their dream sheet for the next tour. I know I certainly didn't. And I also certainly never envisioned flying for the airlines ever in my life. Which is 100% fine. Pick the next navy tour that sounds exciting. That's what I've always done.
How you responded is how I treated my flight school selection.

But as an instructor from 2016-19 in CNATRA, I would say the vast majority of students were doing what they could to set themselves up for the airlines. I understood CNATRA’s frustration with IPs bitching about the Navy and constantly talking about their airlines, thus jading SNAs before they even started.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
This all being said, I am basing my statement on what a guy or gal *could* (in this hiring environment) be making at a FW 121 shop.

I know we're on the same page with the discussion, but I think basing everything on what could happen in the 121 world is a misnomer and the 121 guys tend to get myopic about that world. It's kind of like saying to a successful local business owner that it's great he's making solid money, but if he were an executive at a major corporation, he'd make even more. Sure, but it's not quite that simple. Plus, maybe that local business owner doesn't want the "costs" of that higher paying job.

A typical career helo guy won't be immediately competitive for an airline. Yes, it's currently relatively easy to make the transition, but it's not immediate and it's not straight to the majors. Some will have a faster path if they did VTs, but that's a smaller overall group. I think Navy fixed-wing guys don't immediate recognize that even if they know it intellectually.

In the end, we each have our own priorities and MIDNJAC, I know you totally get this. So like you, me, and others have said, keep your mind open and explore the possibilities and choose the path that sounds interesting.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
There are only two squadrons left, correct? One in New York and another near San Francisco CA?
Air Guard and Air Force Reserve units continue to fly the HH-60G (transitioning to HH-60W)

California, Alaska and New York ANG

And Patrick AFB, Davis Monthan AFB, Portland OR, for Reserves.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Air Guard and Air Force Reserve units continue to fly the HH-60G (transitioning to HH-60W)

California, Alaska and New York ANG

And Patrick AFB, Davis Monthan AFB, Portland OR, for Reserves.
If I was a 30 year old Navy LT again and looking to leave at MSR, I would seriously pursue the Air Guard/Air Reserve Tech GS-12 (and O-3) route with AF flying helos. It seems to be a tremendous opportunity and exciting work. Plan B would be DCA with USCG.