• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Dedicated SAR Squadrons

Meyerkord

pilot
An anecdote...

A JO at -37 was very interested in staying in HI and was all in to go to PMRF. However, while he said he was willing to do it, he didn't tell everyone (that mattered) that it was his ultimate goal. His timing worked out and the Navy asked if he'd accept those orders. However, it is (or was, anyway) a hardship tour akin to a second sea tour, so he asked the detailer to put that in writing and acknowledge that he's volunteering for a hardship tour, which PERS did.

Off he went, getting the exact shore tour he wanted, but with paper that did something for him after the fact (from my understanding). I think he then went to either South America or Europe for his next good deal tour.

Why do I mention this? Just be careful telegraphing intentions too early when it's not an "on-track" job, even if doing that job will ultimately make you happy and be fulfilling.
I get it! It's not awesome!

I guess I'd say a couple of points. One, Station SAR sounds cool so a lot of JOPA who are not loving the fleet think it would be a good deal (and it is), and come here and ask questions. The problem is that it's a super small amount of people in the grand scheme of things. As in total combined units are a large Exped squadron worth of pilots. Two, sadly, the odds are higher that you'll take yourself out of the running for anything flying in the process because some Helo COs are weird like that.

I'm not saying don't, just have eyes wide open when you go down this road.
100% tracking, and I appreciate the feedback. I’ve heard about the potential consequences of not keeping your cards close and I don’t plan on being super vocal about it, just throwing out some feelers. Definitely keeping my options open and trying to learn the most that I can about all the possibilities.

croakerfish

pilot
When I was going through the NOM process (2017) the front office didn’t get to see your preferences that you sent to the detailer unless you showed them yourself. Station SAR wasn’t a NOM round option at the time but I’ve heard that it was later added to the NOM sheet. I don’t know if it still is but you don’t necessarily need to get yourself taken out of the FITREP 500 for a shot of going.

HuggyU2

None
Outsider's view: have done a lot of airshow stuff with the Longhorn pilots from Fallon over the years. Consistently a good group of folks, and they seem to have a good variety of flying, due to their proximity to the Sierra.
Maybe they put on a good public face, but they seemed to enjoy their mission.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
When I was going through the NOM process (2017) the front office didn’t get to see your preferences that you sent to the detailer unless you showed them yourself. Station SAR wasn’t a NOM round option at the time but I’ve heard that it was later added to the NOM sheet. I don’t know if it still is but you don’t necessarily need to get yourself taken out of the FITREP 500 for a shot of going.
All jobs (production and non-production) are on the nom round preference sheet now. I think that started around 2019.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
It wasn’t a unit, so much as it was part of the base, so nothing got dissolved as a command, if that’s what you’re asking. They made NAWDC the model manager for SAR, and since they also teach the mountain flying school, the flags thought that was the best fit. Aircraft and personnel transferred to NAWDC. Same contract Mx as before.
HSC-3 CO is no longer the SAR MM?
I hadn't heard that.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I’m at HSC-3 now and I’m certain that SARMM is still attached to this squadron.
Don’t know what else to tell you. It’s was briefed that way to the NAWDC commander. Perhaps it’s in transition. Not really my lane.

Raymero

Do you know if the unit was dissolved completely or just transferred to the new command? I’m interested in doing Station SAR as a shore tour and I’m wondering if this will still be an option to select.
All the flight crew At NAS Whidbey are Navy rates. Maintenance is all civilian. Tours are normal Navy shore duty tours, 3 years when I was in.

Raymero

100% tracking, and I appreciate the feedback. I’ve heard about the potential consequences of not keeping your cards close and I don’t plan on being super vocal about it, just throwing out some feelers. Definitely keeping my options open and trying to learn the most that I can about all the possibilities.
I did a 3 yr. tour at Whidbey then went on to a sea tour and back for another tour at Whidbey. I loved Whidbey. Did 17 of my 24 years there.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There are many unprepared hikers in the Cascades and so those Whidbey SAR guys are flying over my house all the time.
This has apparently gotten worse since COVID, due to the huge influx of dumbasses into the mountains.

exNavyOffRec

This has apparently gotten worse since COVID, due to the huge influx of dumbasses into the mountains.
Yep, I know several of the first responders around here and I think the worst thing is a recovery of a child who has gone in the river, I don't know how they deal with it, any death is hard, but a child is just awful.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Yep, I know several of the first responders around here and I think the worst thing is a recovery of a child who has gone in the river, I don't know how they deal with it, any death is hard, but a child is just awful.

I remember that from OR as a kid too......folks go under in the (relatively calm) Mackenzie or Willamette every year, and never come back up. I learned that the only safeguard to this is making sure the inner tube with the beer cooler never sinks.

exNavyOffRec

I remember that from OR as a kid too......folks go under in the (relatively calm) Mackenzie or Willamette every year, and never come back up. I learned that the only safeguard to this is making sure the inner tube with the beer cooler never sinks.
I was talking to one of the divers with the Sheriff's office, he said there are parts of the river where they can't go, they would be pinned by the current until their tanks run out and they suffocate. There are still people missing and he said they are probably caught under a rock and maybe someday they will become free.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I was talking to one of the divers with the Sheriff's office, he said there are parts of the river where they can't go, they would be pinned by the current until their tanks run out and they suffocate. There are still people missing and he said they are probably caught under a rock and maybe someday they will become free.

Yeah the bottom current is strong.....much stronger than people think, given the docile surface appearance and shallowness, especially in some of those areas where the geometry is just right