• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Dedicated SAR Squadrons

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Don’t know what else to tell you. It’s was briefed that way to the NAWDC commander. Perhaps it’s in transition. Not really my lane.

Do you know when this was briefed? It had to have been very recently.

This should mean an increase in billets and some specific TAD funding as well. This would also take away an "A" billet from a FRS JO and give it to...whom? Someone at NAWDC or someone at the SAR det?

It's an interesting choice.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor

This should mean an increase in billets and some specific TAD funding as well. This would also take away an "A" billet from a FRS JO and give it to...whom? Someone at NAWDC or someone at the SAR det?

I have no doubt they'll rename it "Pacific Fleet SAR Manager" or some other bullshit to keep FRS JOs on track to ANAV gigs, and then plus up some jobs in NAWDC so the Seawolf guys can focus on tactics and not deal with mountain flying.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

March

Raymero

You're probably looking at Whidbey SAR. There are a few others - El Centro, Fallon, Pax River, Key West, Leemoore. They are small detachments of helicopters that technically belong to the base and are not independent squadrons. As a pilot, do not plan on getting these, but outside of Key West and Whidbey, none of them are particularly competitive to get, just need to have the right timing and the basic quals as a helo pilot.

Raymero

100% tracking, and I appreciate the feedback. I’ve heard about the potential consequences of not keeping your cards close and I don’t plan on being super vocal about it, just throwing out some feelers. Definitely keeping my options open and trying to learn the most that I can about all the possibilities.
In case anyone is interested Whidbey SAR is holding a reunion 9/11/2022.

Raymero

As others have mentioned, it definitely sounds like Whidbey SAR.

Fun fact: Growler squadrons will sometimes do surprise survival training with the Whidbey SAR squadron. They'll schedule aircrew for a flight, let them brief and dress, then when they go to walk they get told, "Surprise! You're going up into the mountains with the SAR guys".

The intent is to show aircrew how much it sucks to be in the Cascades if you aren't dressed for egress.
While I was attached to NAS Whidbey I attended CWEST, Cold Weather Escape and Survival Training. Classroom and actual 3-4 days up on Mt. Baker. The Mt. Baker thing happened one day upon arriving from a Southern CA. flight. There was a bus waiting for us. Myself and a fellow crewman were selected along with 4 folks from the attack community at Whidbey. No prior warning, out of the plane and into the bus and up to the mountain. We used the methods learned in the classroom portion and until we attracted attention of passing aircraft we sat up in the hills. While there we built different type shelters etc. Quite a learning experience.