• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Commission after AF Palace Chase

menloe

Good day all! I was active duty in the Air Force for 4 years. I initially signed a 6 year contract. I was able to get out early under a program called Palace Chase (PC). This program allows you to switch from active duty and join a Guard or Reserve unit at double the time remaining on your initial active duty contract (4 years in my case).
My initial goal was to commission in the Air Force as a CSO (comparable to the NFO); however, CSO requires depth perception which I do not have. I was reading the regulation for the PC program (AFI36-3205) and noticed it states that the "Gaining ARC Personnel Employment Element and/or Selecting Officials" may "not release PALACE CHASE members for transfer to non-Air Force components." This seems to be a huge roadblock in my plan to become a NFO as there is no additional verbiage on the possibility of a waiver.
Does anyone have any insight on how to get around this limitation? I have emailed my recruiter and spent hours searching threads in this forum and a couple others.
Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you!

-Mike

menloe

Ah, good point. Sorry for the confusion. The exact, all-inclusive verbiage with all applicable preceding information copied directly from AFI 26-3205 is as follows:

1.12.10. May release PALACE CHASE members for enlistment into the active Air Force or transfer into another ANGUS or USAFR unit or an IMA position.

1.12.10.1. The provisions of the original AF Form 2631 remain in effect.

1.12.10.2. Does not release PALACE CHASE members for transfer to non-Air Force compo- nents.

So instead or "may or shall" it states "does not"

menloe

I'm currently 26 and will turn 27 in November of this year. The Navy recruiter that i spoke to said this will not be a problem due to increase age cutoff for prior service.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I'm currently 26 and will turn 27 in November of this year. The Navy recruiter that i spoke to said this will not be a problem due to increase age cutoff for prior service.
Given that, what is the harm in waiting out your AF commitment before applying for NFO?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I believe there is a DOD regulation that requires all services to be released from an enlisted contract when accepted into an officer program regardless of service. At least there was in 1998 when I retired. I had a Petty Officer who reenlisted for a big bonus and then a month later was accepted into USAF OTS. Since he was in a very undermanned rate, the Navy tried to refuse to release him. His AF recruiter pulled out this regulation and he was released within days. He got to keep the SRB too.

menloe

(I'm new and not sure how to use the quote feature)
@HAL Pilot, in most instances that is the case. Most of the time there is no objection to an enlisted member being released from their contract to pursue a commission in any branch; however, the regulation governing this program specifically states otherwise. I'm not sure why this stipulation exists, but it does. I don't know if it is possible, but I may try to talk with my Unit and see if I can complete the rest of my "one-weekend-a-month" training over consecutive weeks since there are full time people in my office always looking for help.

@Hair Warrior, my ANG contract will be completed in October of 2019. I will be one month away from being 30 at that time. From what I've read, the increased age inclusion only increases the max age to 30. Even if I could get to OCS and enter CSO training in that one month, I would really like to start as soon as possible. I want to be a friggen NFO now! I feel like the extra three years in the Guard will be a waste of time. I'm ready to fly!

-Mike

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...@HAL Pilot, in most instances that is the case. Most of the time there is no objection to an enlisted member being released from their contract to pursue a commission in any branch; however, the regulation governing this program specifically states otherwise. I'm not sure why this stipulation exists, but it does....

A USAF regulation generally doesn't override a conflicting DOD one, sort of like state law can't override federal law. I think at this point you may have exhausted our expertise and you may want to contact USAF personnel command (whatever they are called).

...I don't know if it is possible, but I may try to talk with my Unit and see if I can complete the rest of my "one-weekend-a-month" training over consecutive weeks since there are full time people in my office always looking for help....

Just curious, what is your goal there? Drill weekends are based on the FY so you can only get ahead so far and it won't reduce your commitment if that is what you are looking to do.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
A USAF regulation generally doesn't override a conflicting DOD one, sort of like state law can't override federal law. I think at this point you may have exhausted our expertise and you may want to contact USAF personnel command (whatever they are called).
What Flash said. The USAF hopes you are don't realize this. Find the DoD regulation and they have to accept it.

menloe

Update: The Navy recruiter emailed me back and said that if I can get my squadron commander to sign a DD Form 368, then we will be golden. This form seems to only go through the Navy recruiter, my commander, and myself, so I don't think anyone is going to realize the stipulation of my commitment. It looks all is going to work out. Thank you all for your help!

-Mike