• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy cancels deployments, Air Force cancels air shows

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't work in the 5 sided puzzle palace, but I am betting there are other, less dramatic cuts the navy can make and still function. I think the carrier deployment and refueling cuts are "fire for effect" moves that are being used to manipulate the politicians and hopefully get them off their asses to do something. Hey, whatever works...
I am still sad that they cut TAD funding for the Women In Aviation conference in San Diego. There goes my month.

Don't bet too much, O&M is often the easiest thing to cut since all the funds aren't committed at certain times like procurement and personnel but are spread out over the whole year. Since the biggest expense, personnel, are explicitly protected and the procurement bills are already paid what you have left is.......operations and maintenance, exactly what is getting cut.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Did we post Congressman Duncan Hunter's remarks on the topic? One point he made was questioning why we buy "green" biofuel when it's more cost effective to use ol' petrol. Interesting points on what we can cut versus what we choose to cut. As for ship deployments, I think the issue will be TSTA/FEP/C2X and the like for the CSGs. If those don't happen in FY13, then it's going to be difficult to deploy anyone in early FY14, even if the funding is there.

Congressman Hunter...don't ask any senior Marine officers in the San Diego area what they think of said congressman.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I think they just aren't big fans of a former reserve captain bossing them around.

HuggyU2

None
Luke and Seymour-Johnson got canx'd today too.

In light of current fiscal events and a highly charged political climate, last week the Navy cancelled and/or delayed numerous carrier deployments. What did the Air Force do? They started canceling air shows. Different strokes for different folks I guess.....

I guess a different way to look at it is this:
The AF decided to canx airshows (in addition to orientation sorties, flyovers, and most/all TDY/TAD trips, etc...) to allow the front line units to continue to fly.
The Navy cancelled a carrier deployment to the Persian Gulf,... but are continuing to run airshows.
Yes, different strokes.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
For their part, the Army yesterday started threatening to go back to extended combat deployments and keep unfunded, inadequately trained units at home (or else deploy those inadequately trained units on normal rotations).

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Waiting on word March 1st, but unless something very fortuitous happens, Naval Station air shows will be cancelled just as soon as the Blues send out their cancellation message..

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

The AF decided to canx airshows (in addition to orientation sorties, flyovers, and most/all TDY/TAD trips, etc...) to allow the front line units to continue to fly.
The Navy cancelled a carrier deployment to the Persian Gulf,... but are continuing to run airshows.
Yes, different strokes.
Huggy, the Navy cancellations are a hell of a lot more likely to get Congress of their asses, than the Air Force's CX'd air shows!
Yes, our strokes are different...
BzB

Renegade One

None
Everything is waiverable, but these big muscle movements (among other things) boil down to the events required to make your various C ratings in the readiness world. I've seen JTFX get waived several times and I've seen TSTA and C2X get combined into a single at sea period.

If the CSG is needed on the line somewhere, it will go regardless.
I'm persuaded by recent happenings in San Diego that CVW "Fallon quals" and Blue-Water Certs for ship and air wing remain two pretty long (and sacrosanct) "poles in the tent". But you're right…EVERYTHING is waiverable in time of need. Big hot cup of of "I'll assume the risk" on somebody's part…should it come to that.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Trust me…even if you don't wanna believe me…you next paycheck will look EXACTLY the same as your last. Even if you, like I…back in the day, go without one or two…the second or third one will be for "full value" of service-to-date…
I frankly "don't sweat" about you officers…but you need to "sweat" about your enlisted folks. Be creative…work with the Chief's Mess…if there really IS going to be a "paycheck hiccup" (which I doubt…), work proactively to mitigate the shit for the most junior.

Thanks for the leadership lesson, you know, because most of us really are more concerned with our own wallets and not those of our Sailors and Marines. You just walked into a biker bar and told them how take care of their bikes...

I'm very happy that your confidence level is high and that you're so certain that this situation is not as bad as it appears. It is.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

Yes, different strokes.

VFA-106 is putting a big kabbash on the F-18 East demo. Skipper said just that, "How can we run a demo when CAG-3 doesn't have money to deploy?" How much it will be cut I am uncertain. I'm just a CONE and that stuff is way about my status.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
I guess I'll be staying in 3 star hotels instead of 4-5 stars.
I know the guests at last years Kingsville Air Show were put up at the Super 8, I took a couple pilots out for breakfast Sunday morning that I met in the lobby and all 3 of us had the same opinion of the hotel. Dump would be too nice to describe it.

Renegade One

None
You just walked into a biker bar and told them how take care of their bikes...
"Hey, all you no hygiene, shaggy looking, twelve chili-cheese dog-eatin' Road King drivers…listen up! If you're having trouble with your starter switch, remove the green feed wire going to the starter solenoid and use a volt meter in series to see if you are getting at least 12 volts. If so, the harness and switches are fine. If not, chances are that the starter windings or contacts are not within spec. If that's the case, pull out that goofy-looking wallet with the freaking chain on it, see if you've got anything in it other that your organ donor card, and buy a new starter and the problem should be resolved .

Y'all be cool. Go Navy…beat Army...I'm out.":cool: