• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy cancels deployments, Air Force cancels air shows

Renegade One

None
In light of current fiscal events and a highly charged political climate...
Y'know, I think the Service Chiefs are all doing a "Chicken Little" dance for Congress. Will be interesting to see who blinks first.

My $.02:
1. The sky is not falling. Despite many, many prior warnings of same, it just never fucking did.
2. Hang in there.
3. Don't give up your day jobs. (CAVEAT: Unless you don't like your day jobs….)

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
I think the cuts will happen on March 1 - going to say they will figure something out before the end of March so the impact is not too big. Stupid situation in the first place. This is what you get when Congress has to pass a law to make them do their job...

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Did we post Congressman Duncan Hunter's remarks on the topic? One point he made was questioning why we buy "green" biofuel when it's more cost effective to use ol' petrol. Interesting points on what we can cut versus what we choose to cut. As for ship deployments, I think the issue will be TSTA/FEP/C2X and the like for the CSGs. If those don't happen in FY13, then it's going to be difficult to deploy anyone in early FY14, even if the funding is there.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Do you legally need TSTA/AWF/C2X/JTFX to deploy? Speaking to bare mins here, not the prescribed "SOP". Asking here, as I don't know the answer?

BigRed389

None
Y'know, I think the Service Chiefs are all doing a "Chicken Little" dance for Congress. Will be interesting to see who blinks first.

My $.02:
1. The sky is not falling. Despite many, many prior warnings of same, it just never fucking did.
2. Hang in there.

I wouldn't call it a "Chicken Little" dance...we basically operate on a paycheck to paycheck business model, and there's a lot of uncertainty in what the next set of paychecks is going to look like.

Renegade One

None
I wouldn't call it a "Chicken Little" dance...we basically operate on a paycheck to paycheck business model, and there's a lot of uncertainty in what the next set of paychecks is going to look like.
Trust me…even if you don't wanna believe me…you next paycheck will look EXACTLY the same as your last. Even if you, like I…back in the day, go without one or two…the second or third one will be for "full value" of service-to-date…
I frankly "don't sweat" about you officers…but you need to "sweat" about your enlisted folks. Be creative…work with the Chief's Mess…if there really IS going to be a "paycheck hiccup" (which I doubt…), work proactively to mitigate the shit for the most junior.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Trust me…even if you don't wanna believe me…you next paycheck will look EXACTLY the same as your last. Even if you, like I…back in the day, go without one or two…the second or third one will be for "full value" of service-to-date…
I frankly "don't sweat" about you officers…but you need to "sweat" about your enlisted folks. Be creative…work with the Chief's Mess…if there really IS going to be a "paycheck hiccup" (which I doubt…), work proactively to mitigate the shit for the most junior.

I think he was referring to the DOD's paycheck to paycheck mentality. Unless I missed something (which I wouldn't doubt) our personal paychecks aren't on the chopping block... yet.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do you legally need TSTA/AWF/C2X/JTFX to deploy? Speaking to bare mins here, not the prescribed "SOP". Asking here, as I don't know the answer?
Everything is waiverable, but these big muscle movements (among other things) boil down to the events required to make your various C ratings in the readiness world. I've seen JTFX get waived several times and I've seen TSTA and C2X get combined into a single at sea period.

If the CSG is needed on the line somewhere, it will go regardless.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
What is TSTA, and what are your windows for doing C2X/JTFX prior to deploying? IE, is it 1 per IDRC, a la ORE, or do they have to be within X number of days of deploying?

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor

My $.02:
2. Hang in there.

Got it in one.

BigRed389

None
I think he was referring to the DOD's paycheck to paycheck mentality. Unless I missed something (which I wouldn't doubt) our personal paychecks aren't on the chopping block... yet.

No you're correct on both counts...mil pay is not affected and I was using paychecks to paycheck as an analogy for expiring funds.

What I was getting at was that we've blown through the budget at FY13 rates for half a year, but a potential year long CR means we only get budgeted at FY12 rates, and sequestration takes another 10% off the top of that. Maybe both are highly unlikely, but until Congress actually fixes it the probability is still greater than zero. For various reasons, if it happens, Ops and Maint money is the easiest to cut.

The budget plans that may sound extreme now are just the "real world" impacts of what will have to happen to come in under the cuts. No matter how unrealistic, not having plans for just such an "adjustment" would just be irresponsible.

Sheepdip

Contributor
AF is working/planning on 18% cut in flying hours across the board, possibly shutting down NTTR, civilian furloughs, cutting TDYs, conferences et cetera. They just haven't taken any drastic, preemptive "shocker" moves like the Navy has.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
I don't work in the 5 sided puzzle palace, but I am betting there are other, less dramatic cuts the navy can make and still function. I think the carrier deployment and refueling cuts are "fire for effect" moves that are being used to manipulate the politicians and hopefully get them off their asses to do something. Hey, whatever works...
I am still sad that they cut TAD funding for the Women In Aviation conference in San Diego. There goes my month.