• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navigation Today

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
I once asked a Tacamo guy if they ever shut one down for loiter and he looked at me like I was on crack.

She flies just fine on three. Two on one side is manageable, but wouldn't wanna do it for long... Like was said earlier, it doesn't buy us any efficiency points. Whatever... We don't fly the jet like it was designed to be flown anyways. Also, you guys' idea of loitering is different than ours. We don't get "on top time". Just "OMFG, I'm sooo bored!! Where's my Ipad/book/rack?" time.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
We don't get "on top time". Just "OMFG, I'm sooo bored!! Where's my Ipad/book/rack?" time.

That sounds lot like Plane Guard....
I've heard that Naval Aviation is inherently just turning circles in the sky. It's only a question of airspeed and altitude that you do it at.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That sounds lot like Plane Guard....
I've heard that Naval Aviation is inherently just turning circles in the sky. It's only a question of airspeed and altitude that you do it at.

I didn't turn cirlces. I flew in 80 mile straight lines. It's completely different.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I didn't turn cirlces. I flew in 80 mile straight lines. It's completely different.

C'mon, Gator, you gotta put that in terms the P-3 guys and pointy nose drivers can appreciate- each of those straight lines takes one hour at an "I... am... so... bored right now" cruise setting. And 3-3.5 hours later the reward is seeing how long it takes the ship to find the winds.

helolumpy

pilot
Contributor

After 80 miles, do you turn around and come back? Then it's one big circle. Then again, I guess you could call it more of an oval....

KBayDog

Technically it's a triangle (3 legs of 80). If you end up making it a perfectly equilateral triangle by the end of the flight, you get upgraded one ACTC level.

"The sum of the square roots of any two sides of an isosceles triangle is equal to the square root of the remaining side."

homerpyth.jpg

IFR. Shutting down a turbofan saves no gas as it will incur a loss of thrust AND an increase in drag since you can't fx the fan.

I once asked a Tacamo guy if they ever shut one down for loiter and he looked at me like I was on crack.

Huh; the drag/thrust issue never occurred to me. Shows how my turboprop experience doesn't translate directly to the turbofan era. Now, next question: I'm sure the engiens are very reliable, but what's it going to mean when they have to shut one down during a mission and limp home on one? (As I understood things, the -10 amd -14 emgines in P-3s were probably regarded as reliable, but I was in those planes for a numer of three-engine landings, prop feathered, of course, and never in one of those prop fails to feather and wouldn't disconnect situations.) I'm guessing fuel consumption would be a problem?

Aw c'mon...didn't you join this elite fraternity to FLY?;)
BzB
Yep, joined to fly. Nevertheless, the 10-12 hour mission that had to be extended for a delayed relief, with 5-7 hours onsta tracking subs could be wearing. I have a feeling IFR would be nice to have in a plane designed, as I understand it, for a 10 hour mission profile.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Huh; the drag/thrust issue never occurred to me. Shows how my turboprop experience doesn't translate directly to the turbofan era. Now, next question: I'm sure the engiens are very reliable, but what's it going to mean when they have to shut one down during a mission and limp home on one? (As I understood things, the -10 amd -14 emgines in P-3s were probably regarded as reliable, but I was in those planes for a numer of three-engine landings, prop feathered, of course, and never in one of those prop fails to feather and wouldn't disconnect situations.) I'm guessing fuel consumption would be a problem?
How many times have you been on a 737 and have a motor fail? I don't have any data in front of me, but if modern turbofans were as unreliable as the P-3 motors then there'd be more modern four engine airliners.

helolumpy

pilot
Contributor
How many times have you been on a 737 and have a motor fail? I don't have any data in front of me, but if modern turbofans were as unreliable as the P-3 motors then there'd be more modern four engine airliners.

How dare you use logic on this website... Next thing you'll know folks will start stating facts... It's all gonna end with us have to footnote our posts....

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yep, joined to fly. Nevertheless, the 10-12 hour mission that had to be extended for a delayed relief, with 5-7 hours onsta tracking subs could be wearing. I have a feeling IFR would be nice to have in a plane designed, as I understand it, for a 10 hour mission profile.

"Squawking...", oops "ScreamingEagle", sorry...just can't muster up too much sympathy for you & your 'overworked' VP crews. Hell, you carry 3 pilots, don't you share the piloting? You have hot meals/coffee, lavatory, FE to keep you outta trouble, 4 big fans to keep you cool, generous TAD $$$, nice accomodations on deployment...etc. etc.

Try 6-8 mos. on a big haze grey barge (often extended 2 or more mos. for a delayed relief), 12-14 hr. days for a month/s at a time, no 2/3P or crew to share the inflight tasks, etc...now that's wearing!

And...you see Air refueling as just something to just make your mission drag out longer, we consider it our "ace in the hole" for extending range/endurance, & a potential life/aircraft saver in emergency situations.

You should treasure your flight time, it's going to become harder to come by in the near future!;)
BzB