• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navigation Today

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
<<<If the ship were to turn off TACAN, imagine how messed up we'd be today? Years ago, crews DF'd to find the ship and then landed without talking on the radio... We can't do that today!>>>

Operating under EmCon A/B "back in the day"... IIRC, first guy(s) found the boat...came up on NavCad Common (222.2 Mhz)...broadcast a short count for DF, Air to Air Tacan (DME only) for distance...bingo!! Easy-Peasy!! ;)

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
If the ship were to turn off TACAN, imagine how messed up we'd be today? Years ago, crews DF'd to find the ship and then landed without talking on the radio... We can't do that today!

Pretty sure I could hack it and find the ship (esp. with ISAR and MATT), but somebody would get seriously pissed at me booming in zip lip and landing on USS Boat.

Not least of which would be the handler bitching about having a locked deck with a P-3 on it!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pretty sure I could hack it and find the ship (esp. with ISAR and MATT), but somebody would get seriously pissed at me booming in zip lip and landing on USS Boat.

Not least of which would be the handler bitching about having a locked deck with a P-3 on it!
It's not uncommon for the ship to let non-boat/big wing aircraft do an approach down to 1000 ft or so mid-cycle if nothing is going on. Next time you're doing (un)coordinated ops, ask and see what they say. Or, a flyby is always fun. I suspect most VP guys wouldn't think to ask, but everyone would get a kick it of that.

Brett

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
It's not uncommon for the ship to let non-boat/big wing aircraft do an approach down to 1000 ft or so mid-cycle if nothing is going on. Next time you're doing (un)coordinated ops, ask and see what they say. Or, a flyby is always fun. I suspect most VP guys wouldn't think to ask, but everyone would get a kick it of that.

Brett

The VP guys are usually clobbering up button 1 with nonsensical radio chatter as they fly back and forth across BRC at 500' :mad:

But back to the conversation at hand: for some real fun, ask an airwing to think about training (AWF) in a MIDS denied environment...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can the Prowlers go back to being SL then in their ICAP II? :D

Brett

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor

Brett

I asked. Got told to stay away. Maybe another day.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
As far as we could tell, nothing was going on. We were just doing some SSC for them during COMPTUEX. Nothing was on the air plan for another few hours and it was first light. May have just been whoever was in tower didn't feel like having us bumblefucking around like a big ogre retard.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As far as we could tell, nothing was going on. We were just doing some SSC for them during COMPTUEX. Nothing was on the air plan for another few hours and it was first light. May have just been whoever was in tower didn't feel like having us bumblefucking around like a big ogre retard.
No doubt well before the start of normal flight ops, tower not manned (at least not by the Boss), nobody really there with enough pull to authorize it. Keep at it.

Brett

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor

Brett

Yeah, we are taught when upgrading to always stay as far from the boat as possible so we don't screw up the launch and recovery cycle. One of our S-3 retreads was like "That's retarded. Just look at the airplan, talk to the right people at the right time, and you can do whatever you want."

I thought my portside flyby of the Lincoln at 290 kts and 200 feet was pretty bitchin.

Nobody on the flight deck seemed to notice. :(

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sometimes when bored on BarCap, I used to turn off the TACAN and see if I could find my way back to the ship by seat-of-the-pants, DR. Not hard. Of course I always had my RIO backup. :)

Over the North we had nutt'n for Nav.... Zip squat didly! And the Gomers didn't turn on their TACANs for us either. So it was dead reckoning and visual navigation, along with all the usual multiple distractions.

[Once was in an Alpha Strike headed 180 degrees out towards China's Hainan Island instead of N. Vietnam because lead's compass precessed while orbiting overhead the ship waiting for the strike package to all join up (The ship finally called and asked where the &&%$#? are you going! Reverse!)
.... Also went to Red China mainland briefly once because of the precessed compass of my lead. Too many rugged mountains instead of anticipated low lying rice paddies alerted us as to our huge mistake at 500kts low level, so we reversed course southeastward.]

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, we are taught when upgrading to always stay as far from the boat as possible so we don't screw up the launch and recovery cycle. One of our S-3 retreads was like "That's retarded. Just look at the airplan, talk to the right people at the right time, and you can do whatever you want."

I thought my portside flyby of the Lincoln at 290 kts and 200 feet was pretty bitchin.

Nobody on the flight deck seemed to notice. :(
When did that go down? I was probably in my rack. :D

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
Depends on what's going on, and who's running the show.

Brett

Repost from the Picture Gallery thread- VP-8 CAC-5 fly-by of the JFK in the Red Sea, Feb. 1991. Sorry about the picture quality; it was the pre-digital era, and the TACCO window was scratched to hell (as per usual).

JFKRedSea.jpg