• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAVET reserve affiliation / resignation

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Are 13X5 mob’s less frequent in hardware units? If so, why?

They don't exist (outside of support of CNAFR) because the personnel have been put in a protective status. It was like that before, then it wasn't, now it is again. Some individuals will still MOB because they a) volunteer or b) (the more common one) the unit itself is in need of a body so the billet (or squadron) is mobilized (See: HSC-8x, although it happens elsewhere, too).

SlickAg

pilot
Are 13X5 mob’s less frequent in hardware units? If so, why?
Hardware, CNATRA, and VR.

It’s gone in waves, but the MOB “fence” is currently up because when it was down everyone was quitting their squadrons or SAUs and it was tough to lose all of those bodies and their quals. Also, tougher to get guys coming in if they knew they’d get sent on a MOB as soon as their dwell was up. Given the massive airline hiring numbers, if the fence comes down I don’t see many guys staying SELRES as soon as they hit second year pay.

Pags

N/A
pilot
My opinion: SELRES adds a lot of risk of a MOB to your life, both personal and professional. Whether or not you want that short notice one year MOB to come and pull you away from a career and new civilian lifestyle so you can get a SELRES retirement in "only 10yrs" is something you should put a lot of thought in to.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I understand accepting the reserve affiliation bonus (optional) as something that establishes when you could voluntarily have a change of heart and opt out of the reserves, provided you have not been notified of a legitimately-timed mob. The mob deferment period that you are eligible for - based on your reserve affiliation timing - is what dictates your mob eligibility window. Personally, I think the wise move as a potential 13xx considering a non-hardware unit would be to assume the mob soon after deferment trend continues. Important stuff to come to terms with before affiliating.

Yeah that's the way I read it to. I get it, it's some money in exchange for leverage. That being said, as I sit here halfway through my year in 5th Fleet, I don't want to put myself in a place to catch 3/6/9/12months in this AOR again. Finding a hardware unit was always my first choice and I think the more I research it, the strong I feel about that path.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Whether or not you want that short notice one year MOB to come and pull you away from a career and new civilian lifestyle so you can get a SELRES retirement in "only 10yrs" is something you should put a lot of thought in to.
Something to consider...

nodropinufaka

I already hate the reserves. I got off active duty and was told CTO would call and let me know when to show up to drill.

Well a friend calls me the day before July drill (tomorrow) and tells me that my name is in the reserve systems and I should call the NOSC. I call them and they tell me “oh ya, CTO def dropped the ball. Show up tomorrow”.

CTO also almost screwed up my reserve package. If it wasn’t for me reaching out 3 days before seperation asking for my scroll they would have screwed up my break in service.

Reservist

Intelligence Officer
I already hate the reserves. I got off active duty and was told CTO would call and let me know when to show up to drill.

Well a friend calls me the day before July drill (tomorrow) and tells me that my name is in the reserve systems and I should call the NOSC. I call them and they tell me “oh ya, CTO def dropped the ball. Show up tomorrow”.

CTO also almost screwed up my reserve package. If it wasn’t for me reaching out 3 days before seperation asking for my scroll they would have screwed up my break in service.
Welcome to the Navy Reserve! :) This stuff never changes with it either. But for what its worth, if you can learn to live with the total lack of order with admin and just drive things yourself, you will get a lot out of it and and enjoy your time. There's great people, some great work, and lots to be had from the experience. Just don't expect the admin side to knock things out of the park.

nodropinufaka

Welcome to the Navy Reserve! :) This stuff never changes with it either. But for what its worth, if you can learn to live with the total lack of order with admin and just drive things yourself, you will get a lot out of it and and enjoy your time. There's great people, some great work, and lots to be had from the experience. Just don't expect the admin side to knock things out of the park.
Thanks. Yea not so bad. Just got to finish my last 5 years until 20. Gotta find a reserve unit that won’t drive me crazy.