• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAVET reserve affiliation / resignation

SlickAg

pilot
I was told by a gentleman at SOCOM they had the green light to MOB me. But yes, my deferment is up next April and my report to NIACT date is in Jan. If I tried to make a stink about it would they just wait 3 months and then send me or would they replace me all together? Or would it piss off the wrong people by complaining about leaving 3 months early? If I have to go, I would rather leave in Jan then April so I am back by Christmas.
I would 100% raise the BS flag on this. You may not have the right MAS code in the system so they show you as eligible, but this violates the sanctuary to which all parties agreed. This is some grade A malarkey and I would bring it up to your CoC.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Unless you want to go, absolutely bring this up. Stuff like this won't get fixed if it isn't brought to someone's attention and it's the law (or code, or directive, or something). No one can say if they'd just wait until April, but I doubt it. MOBs have historically been last minute because how could we possibly plan for anything when we POM 5 years out?

Now, if you're okay going and the timing works better for you to do it now, then go for it, but even then, I'd fix your MAS code and make it a voluntary MOB. More fodder when writing a FITREP.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
The NOSC/Region RCC/RESFOR chain ought to already be having their own internal “we’re gonna get in shit for this” conversation about this one and trying to fix it.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Wait, your RLD is before your deferment is up? They can MOB you on deferment + 1 day, notifying you 6 months prior. But if you’re no-shit getting told to report to ECRC before your deferment is up, raise that with your CoC because that’s not supposed to happen.

They did that to me, and it was because RESFOR screwed up. I took the MOB and waived my deferment, because it was one of those unicorn cool MOBs. But my NOSC skipper flat-out told me I had a get-out-of-jail-free card. If I didn’t want to go, he’d have called Norfolk and told them to check my MAS code.

TL;DR, deferment is deferment. They can notify you, but not actually MOB you.
By that you mean, "If I must deploy, this MOB is better than some or most others." Right? Surely you can't mean, "I can stay CONUS, or can go do this cool MOB." Cuz I'm gonna tell ya, I have done some cool stuff on MOBs, but there isn't enough coolness to make me want to go fly in the desert one more time. And, if by some chance I do go, I'll be submitting retirement paperwork for the day I get back + terminal leave.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was told by a gentleman at SOCOM they had the green light to MOB me.

Yeah, he probably doesn't know jack or shit about reserve MOB's frankly.

Or would it piss off the wrong people by complaining about leaving 3 months early? If I have to go, I would rather leave in Jan then April so I am back by Christmas.

A nice thing about the reserves is that you almost certainly won't piss off anyone, you are just another body to fill a billet. As for the timing, that is all you but I doubt you are tagged with another MOB immediately.

I would 100% raise the BS flag on this. You may not have the right MAS code in the system so they show you as eligible, but this violates the sanctuary to which all parties agreed.

Unless you want to go, absolutely bring this up. Stuff like this won't get fixed if it isn't brought to someone's attention and it's the law (or code, or directive, or something).

The NOSC/Region RCC/RESFOR chain ought to already be having their own internal “we’re gonna get in shit for this” conversation about this one and trying to fix it.

Yeah, all of the above.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I was told by a gentleman at SOCOM they had the green light to MOB me.
If the "guy" at SOCOM is not the Navy OSO then just smile/wave and call your NOSC or the CNRFC N35 (Mob ops). The N35 POC is here (CAC enabled, email cert).

Did you sign a deferment waiver to get in to the Reserve unit you are supporting? Are you in a restricted UIC (eg., NR USSOCOM HQ)

What is your MAS code? If you are on a 1-year deferment you should be AS1. The NOSC controls this code and you can see it if you look at yourself in FLTMPS (CAC enabled, email cert): Personnel -> Individual Data Search -> Name enter your name, click on your name, then look at the bottom left for Availability Status (MAS). You should see AS1.

If you have a MAS code of AS1, that is an all stop. You can get tagged for a mobilization with a Ready-to-Load (RLD) date that is after your deferment period. You will not get an RLD inside of your deferment period given current MOB authorities.

Here is the newest NAVADMIN that outlines changes to the mobilization deferment policy and below are the current MOB authorities. Current mobilizations are under 12302.

Most up to date mob brief is in here (CAC enabled, email cert) which shows the flow of how the mob is created, approved, and routed.

NUFO06

None
Thanks. I will bring it up with the NOSC and ask about my MAS code. This is not a MOB I would ever volunteer for. The only good deal is the tax free and extra pays. I just don’t want them to say, ok, and then delay the orders 3 months and tag me anyway. I am still pretty new to the reserves and I’m onboard with the “doing my part.” I have volunteered for a 4 week SOFLE gig and another 4 week stint in west Africa just this year. My employer has been awesome so far but this would be tough to recover from so early in my career.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks. I will bring it up with the NOSC and ask about my MAS code. This is not a MOB I would ever volunteer for. The only good deal is the tax free and extra pays. I just don’t want them to say, ok, and then delay the orders 3 months and tag me anyway. I am still pretty new to the reserves and I’m onboard with the “doing my part.” I have volunteered for a 4 week SOFLE gig and another 4 week stint in west Africa just this year. My employer has been awesome so far but this would be tough to recover from so early in my career.

No, they generally won't do that as they almost always want a body in those billets and often don't care who it is as long as they are 'qual'd' for it. If you get dropped out of this MOB, and you should, they will put you back in the hopper but expect another one in the next few months to a year as they seem to be tagging folks soon after their deferment is up.

If you would prefer to do X, Y or Z billet I would sign up to get the announcements to see what is available and throw your hat in the ring there, Qatar is one that seems to be preferable to many others that reservists get tagged for. If you don't volunteer you will get stuck with whatever you get stuck with so jumping on one may be a good strategy to get it over with.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
To completely hijack this thread, am I safe in assuming if I a) take the reserve affiliation bonus and b) am not in a hardware unit, I'm going to go someplace sandy and hot on year 2 plus zero days?

Pags

N/A
pilot
To completely hijack this thread, am I safe in assuming if I a) take the reserve affiliation bonus and b) am not in a hardware unit, I'm going to go someplace sandy and hot on year 2 plus zero days?
Seems accurate based on all of my peers who went SELRES. Also note that two years is about the length of time it will take you to get your first promotion or decide to leave your first company so the timing sucks career wise.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You’re at risk to go somewhere. Whether that’s INCONUS, OCONUS, Bahrain, Millington, Qatar, Norfolk, DJ, Stuttgart, Afghanistan, or somewhere else is anyone’s guess. Depends on your skill set and what’s open.

Agree that picking your pain is a strategy worth considering. Also know that dwell is 5:1. So once you come back, they can’t touch you for 5 times as long as you were on active duty, including the time on the front and back sides, terminal leave included.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Usually it is a little while after 2 years + 0 days but more often than not before your 3 year commitment is up. About half the guys in my unit in that boat have volunteered for something before getting tagged, figuring it is better to pick your poison than get stuck.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You’re at risk to go somewhere. Whether that’s INCONUS, OCONUS, Bahrain, Millington, Qatar, Norfolk, DJ, Stuttgart, Afghanistan, or somewhere else is anyone’s guess. Depends on your skill set and what’s open.

One important thing to note, a lot of announcements say 'Stuttgart' or some other actual garden spot but the fine print says that you can deploy anywhere and for one particular set of orders a lot of my peers have been getting they do actually deploy pretty much everywhere but Stuttgart. And even if you do end up there you may not enjoy it, a buddy who was there for 2 months of his 12 month vacation went out in town exactly once because his work hours were so long and all he wanted to do is sleep after his 14 hour days of dealing with the stupid that was his billet.

NUFO06

None
Stuttgart is a lot of fun. Once you figure out that Ausfahrt is not an actually place that every off ramp leads to.