• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Officer or Police Officer

Pancakes

Serious replies only.

I'm coming to that point in my life where a decision such as this could affect my life for the next few decades..I am essentially stuck between two careers, Naval Officer (Intel, 2nd choice is Pilot) or Police Officer (Municipal).

I went to college for four years to get a degree in criminology and i intended on becoming a detective (provided one has several years experience on the street level). Now however an opportunity with the navy has arisen and I am considering it side by side with a police career. With the experience with the navy I know that I can apply for more advanced jobs in the FBI, CIA, etc and that if i stay with a municipal police force i can also get there but just through a different means. My package is already sent by my recruiter last month and I am waiting to hear back from the Jan 10 boards..but then just yesterday I received a conditional offer of employment with the local police department in my area (Central Connecticut).

I just find life here in CT to be a little slow at times and I want to get out there and travel and see new things before I settle down and I know the navy can let me do that.

To the officers on this board now, would a naval officers career in the navy possibly open up 'more doors' as i would think in the career world? Would i truly get a chance to venture outside of freezing new england and experience things from a different perspective? Also, would a naval officer's career be worth it in passing up an opportunity with a local police department?

Also I know this is my first post but i've definitely been lurking these forums and reading a bunch before speaking.

fallujahveteran

Am I currently a Naval Officer? No. Am I currently a Police Officer? Yes. Honestly you need to search your "heart" and do what is right for you. I spent 4yrs Active Duty in the Marine Corps as an enlisted member of the Infantry. I went enlisted because I knew my parents or myself could not afford college for me. After I left the Marines I became a Police Officer because it paid well and honestly was a cake walk to get hired having just come from the Marines.

After the Marines, I worked very hard to put my wife through T.C.U. to earn her Nursing Degree and become an R.N. Now that she is done I am going to school at an accelerated schedule to earn my B.A. in Criminal Justice Admin using my G.I. Bill. I plan on applying to Navy OCS here shortly and seeing if I can earn a commision and a pilot slot. If I were you why not go Navy now and become an Officer? If you look at it from a "getting hired" stand point the Navy will stop taking people at a very young age (late 20's, early 30"s) where most Municipal, State, and Federal Law Enforcement Agencies will accept new employees much later in life (early 40's for most).

What I'm getting at is if you turn down the Police Department and take the Navy now all is not lost. After your commitment or even after you retiree from t;e Navy, chances are you'll still be young enough to be hired into Law Enforcement. If you go Law Enforcement first you will more than likely be 99.9% to old to go to the Navy if you decide Law Enforcement is not what you want out of life.

Hope all works out for you!

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Sounds like part of your decision is how to best use your options to spring board into government service...

There are many federal agencies out there that will hire you up until your mid to late 30s for Law Enforcement and Intel work. Additionally, the Federal Employee Retirement System (FERS) will allow you to buy back active duty military time to add percentage points on top of your federal pension when you get it. They do not do that for local/state law enforcement time served. Additionally, if you chose to stay in the reserves you can get a second retirement check as well.

If you are not accepted during the Jan boards, you can always accept the local LEO job and continue to apply to the Navy to broaden your experience while deciding if a career in Law Enforcement is right for you.

Will_T

Will_T
I know several policemen and firemen in central CT (that's where I live) and they all love their jobs, so i can only defer to their judgment.
CT is a great state, but if you feel its too slow for you, and i really can't disagree, then I would go navy, its what I'm doing. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that if you go to OCS, for a job that doesn't extend your contract, you can be discharged after 4 years (correct me anyone if I'm wrong), so if you decide its not for you, then you won't have a huge contract. If, however, you go to the police, and you want to make a career change, it might be much harder to accomplish given age restrictions.

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
I think this is an easy one....you can do both in your lifetime.

I had a similar decision to make when I joined the Navy back in college. And someone asked me, well can't you eventually do both? Yep, I could do the Navy thing now and if I wanted to I could do something else when I was done. BUT....I couldn't do the opposite since there is an age limit with the Navy. I had the same problem with "I'm bored, I'm restless, is this all there is". The Navy will get you moving and get you to experience things you never would have otherwise. And even if you go pilot (and the commitment is 8 years after wings - so pretty much 10 years), there's still time to do law enforcement after that. If the Navy is something that floats around in the back of your head and is something that intrigues you...I say take that first and keep my eye out for law enforcement opportunities you might want later.

How long can you push off giving the police department an answer?

Pancakes

Thanks for the quick replies. Part of the problem is that the police want an answer by Tuesday...according to my recruiter i wont hear anything from the boards till end of Jan. By accepting the police' job offer it is contingent upon me completing the polygraph, medical, and psych evauls...of course these are no problem for me but i'm thinking that if i can stall those as long as possible I can back out in a way of 'thanks no thanks' and go forward with OCS. However, things like polygraph, etc cost the town money, which in turn will not make them happy and will not leave a good impression if I ever try going back there in the future after backing out.

Also once going into a PD, there is a contract binding me from leaving for two years. Its some sort of thing departments do to not lose new hires to other better paying departments.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm coming to that point in my life where a decision such as this could affect my life for the next few decades..I am essentially stuck between two careers, Naval Officer (Intel, 2nd choice is Pilot) or Police Officer (Municipal).
You're only stuck because you think you're stuck. You can do both, but you can bet you won't get too many chances at a commission.

Pancakes said:
To the officers on this board now, would a naval officers career in the navy possibly open up 'more doors' as i would think in the career world? Would i truly get a chance to venture outside of freezing new england and experience things from a different perspective?
It will open up more doors than you can possibly now imagine. As for getting the chance to venture outside of New England? Uh, yeah.

Pancakes said:
Also, would a naval officer's career be worth it in passing up an opportunity with a local police department?
The police officer career will be there and you can even get into the FBI as a special agent up to the age of 37.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
You can do both. 5-20 years in the USN. After the initial commitment, it is up to you to stay or go. When weighing the options to continue your Navy service having other career interests is not a bad thing.

The police officer career will be there and you can even get into the FBI as a special agent up to the age of 37.

Rumor mill has it that the Federal Agent Service (FBI, CIA, CBP, etc) age limit is being modified to allow a waiver up to age 47 for retired military personel. I say rumor because I can't find the link that discusses a bill currently under consideration.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I know of an IP here who is in the process of getting into federal law enforcement, and from what I heard it sounds like it is a pretty good deal. So I'd second the idea that you can do both. Question is, what do you want to do right now? Serve your country abroad, or serve it on a more domestic level? I don't think there is a better than the other argument, just whichever suits your desires currently. Obviously Naval intel has been a stepping stone for many going into various 3 letter federal agencies later in life, so I think having military service under your belt would be a good thing. However, if you heart isn't totally into THIS line of work, then certainly consider your other options. In the FBI/CIA/etc you will probably be home more at night, but that is certainly only one consideration. Good luck in your decision, and I don't think you will go wrong either way!

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I found this:

http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0708/071508b1.htm

Looks like you can have your cake, and eat it too.

Good find. I checked the FBI's website and it looks like they got the memo.

From fbijobs.gov:

SPECIAL AGENT QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
Clear gif

Debra Serving as a Special Agent is a very demanding job with strict entry requirements. Please review closely all requirements to ensure that you qualify before you apply.

To become an FBI Special Agent you must be a U.S. citizen or a citizen of the Northern Mariana Islands. You must be at least 23 years of age, but younger than 37 upon your appointment as a Special Agent. Age waivers may be granted to preference eligible veterans who have surpassed their 37th birthday. You must possess a four-year degree from a college or university accredited by one of the regional or national institutional associations recognized by the United States Secretary of Education. You must have at least three years of professional work experience. You must also possess a valid driver's license and be completely available for assignment anywhere in the FBI's jurisdiction.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
This is something I was looking into, especially after my flying days are over...being half-Iranian and having a grasp of the Farsi language, I think I'd be a good candidate for FBI,CIA etc..

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
FBI Special Agents: Lawyers with guns.

The way I see it...if you have to ask, have fun in the police academy.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
FBI Special Agents: Lawyers with guns.

The way I see it...if you have to ask, have fun in the police academy.

More like Accountants/MBAs who get immersed in legal domain (like a police officer) although some get to do higher speed stuff.

bob88899

Whatever you do... dont turn something down that you will regret later in life! If you have the itch to join the Navy.. and your serious.. i would try and do that now.. and get into law enforcement later on in your career.. the navy will open up tons of opportunities for you whether its local, state or federal... Just dont be that guy 15yrs down the road asking yourself what you could have done... be confident in your decision whatever it is.