• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Officer or Police Officer

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Am I misreading this?

"Military retirees at the rank of major, lieutenant commander, or higher are not eligible for preference in appointment unless they are disabled veterans. (This does not apply to Reservists who will not begin drawing military retired pay until age 60.)"

phrogpilot73

Am I misreading this?

"Military retirees at the rank of major, lieutenant commander, or higher are not eligible for preference in appointment unless they are disabled veterans. (This does not apply to Reservists who will not begin drawing military retired pay until age 60.)"
Nope you didn't. I wonder if they amended the law recently, because I just read USC Title 5, Section 2108 and you/OPM are right. Disregard my babble.

To answer your question about being disabled - from Title 5, Section 2108: "“disabled veteran” means an individual who has served on active duty in the armed forces, has been separated therefrom under honorable conditions, and has established the present existence of a service-connected disability or is receiving compensation, disability retirement benefits, or pension because of a public statute administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs or a military department;"

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Nope you didn't. I wonder if they amended the law recently, because I just read USC Title 5, Section 2108 and you/OPM are right. Disregard my babble.

To answer your question about being disabled - from Title 5, Section 2108: "“disabled veteran” means an individual who has served on active duty in the armed forces, has been separated therefrom under honorable conditions, and has established the present existence of a service-connected disability or is receiving compensation, disability retirement benefits, or pension because of a public statute administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs or a military department;"

Ironic this comes back up now as this was up for discussion between the old dudes in the wardroom last week. We were talking about CBP specifically. One guy's take (I don't know how he came up with it) was that to get preference points/preference that overides the retired statement you had to be at 30%+ disability.

It seems the 30% number pops up in several places but I can't find anything that says 30%+ is the magic number in this case.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I would think that 30% or above is severe enough that you might have issues getting a medical certificate for any of the flying government jobs or pass the medical requirements for federal law enforcement. Those are the types of fed jobs I'd be interested in. I was excited to see that several of the federal LE jobs are waiving age limits for "preference eligible veterans," but I'm discouraged to find that things aren't so easy.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
30% is the magic number for a lot of VA disability benefits. For example, it makes you eleigible for Voc Rehab training and no VA origination fee on VA homel loans.

I have 30% and it has not affected my FAA medical at all. I originally checked the box saying I recieve disability payments and in the remarks I reported the items with a comment that it does not affect my daily life or flying. For the last 10 years I just remark "previously reported". Not an issue and no restrictions on my first class physical. I'm pretty sure government flying jobs only care if you have the FAA medical.