• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Intelligence Professional Breast Insignia

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I go back to my original argument that it's all recruiting-focused. The navy, as well as every other branch, has to have more metal, different uniforms, etc....anything to separate it from the other branches in hopes of "looking cooler" than the others. I knew a former USMC drill instructor who told me that when he polled his basic training class, about 1/3 of them chose the marines because of the uniform...maybe the navy is hoping the same thing here.

In this case it is not, it is mainly being driven by a single person who wants to leave a mark and make some intel types feel better about themselves.

francol

The globe should have two crossing orbits, like the Defense Intelligence Agency logo. It would be more appropriate, since we monitor events worldwide, (the satellite being the epitome of collection platforms). Furthermore, it would render the pin much easier to manufacture since it requires less detail.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The globe should have two crossing orbits, like the Defense Intelligence Agency logo. It would be more appropriate, since we monitor events worldwide, (the satellite being the epitome of collection platforms). Furthermore, it would render the pin much easier to manufacture since it requires less detail.

Most Navy intel guys wouldn't know a satellite if one smacked into them. ;)

I think these would much more appropriate logos instead of the globe, maybe backed by a crossed keyboard and laser pointer:

powerpoint-logo.jpg

powerpoint-logo.jpg

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Who is running the Navy? Between the gay NWUs and crap like this, it makes me think the air force is in charge. Hell, I got an E-mail the other day about some cybercommand the Navy wants to set up, which the AF was working on a couple years ago.

USAF announced their move to a Cyberspace Command 3 years ago. They already had the constantly morphing AFC2ISRC that became the Global Cyberspace Integration Center (GCIC), which would give up some of its responsibilites to a Cyberspace Command. After the initial announcement (in 2006) that 8th Air Force would be the Cyberspace Command, it was announced in 2009 that 24th Air Force would be established as the service Cyberspace numbered command.

200px-Air_Force_Cyber_Command_%28Provisional%29.png

Meanwhile, as part of the OPNAV N2 absorption of all things N6 related and ISR related, NETWARCOM will be renamed as the Cyberspace TYPE Commander (closest Navy equivalent to an Air Force Numbered command).

On October 1, 2009, the command will officially change its name to Naval Cyber Forces Command, or CYBERFORCOM, to more accurately reflect its position as the premier cyber force. This will occur with the simultaneous integration of fleet intelligence type commander functions into the command’s portfolio of operations, which include the full spectrum Command, Control, Communications, Computers, and Intelligence (C4I).

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Meanwhile, as part of the OPNAV N2 absorption of all things N6 related and ISR related, NETWARCOM will be renamed as the Cyberspace TYPE Commander (closest Navy equivalent to an Air Force Numbered command).

Navy is also standing up 10th Fleet which will be dual hatted with FLTCYBERCOM.

dephyler

Contributor
Over the weekend, I heard some scuttlebutt that this pin is DOA, but they're coming up with a new "Information Warfare" pin that not only spies get, but also IW, oceanography, and meteorology, both E and O. I'm not really sure how this is going to work and therefore offer no defense other than that's what I heard.

Anyone else heard/read anything? Any mockups of the device floating around that are maybe a little more tasteful than lightning bolts?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Over the weekend, I heard some scuttlebutt that this pin is DOA, but they're coming up with a new "Information Warfare" pin that not only spies get, but also IW, oceanography, and meteorology, both E and O. I'm not really sure how this is going to work and therefore offer no defense other than that's what I heard.

Anyone else heard/read anything? Any mockups of the device floating around that are maybe a little more tasteful than lightning bolts?
I know N2/N6 is on track to become a warfare community just like SWO/Subs/Air/SPECWAR . . . but how the F did METOC end up on that bandwagon? Really??

MasterBates

Every time I hear the phrase "Information Dominance" I keep on expecting to see a gimp tied up the next time I walk into CVIC.. That, and I have this recuring fear that the Intel-O is going to make the SCIF into a torture chamber.

Shpion1

Contributor
"Information Dominance" I keep on expecting to see a gimp tied up the next time I walk into CVIC.. That, and I have this recuring fear that the Intel-O is going to make the SCIF into a torture chamber.

Already been done MB,

Stennis Maiden Cruise..."Gelding"...DCAGs Pink State Room...GIMP in a locker...have to find the video.

As an Intel guy I watch this N2/N6 "merger" with a little apprehension. Actually quite a bit. I'm thinking though that in the not so far future, someone takes a look at everything involved in that organization, and I'm thinking its not gonna be a 1630 in charge all the time. So maybe, just maybe, someone is being given enough room/rope to get something started and then have a 1310/20 kinda move in. Don't know...just speculatin', we'll see soon enough though.

Also, drop the device, whatever it is morphing into. Don't need it. Haven't needed it since 1882, and pretty sure Nimitz knew what LCDR Layton did without it.

snake020

Contributor
Let's all agree how it should be: Wings for flyers, pins for SEALs, EOD, parachutists, subs... and I'll throw a bone to the SWOs. No supply/medical "I showed up to a ship" pin, no Microsoft PowerPoint pins, and no wings for Sailors that never leave the ground.

If you want feel special because you have a unique pin for your job top make you feel warm and fuzzy, go join the Air Force.

The word of the Snake. Thanks be to common sense.

das

Contributor
They're going to have overarching IDC PQS in addition to individual quals for each community (Intel, IW, IP, Oceanography -- not sure about Space Cadre).

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Let's all agree how it should be: Wings for flyers, pins for SEALs, EOD, parachutists, subs... and I'll throw a bone to the SWOs.
Aw schucks. Thank you for your kindness. Even if you do think you're part of the cool club now, fact is you are a prior zoomie, which effectively negates any comments you have for or against any navy community. Probably best if you just hush up now before you give the Air Force a bad name. Oh wait...never mind.