• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Intelligence Professional Breast Insignia

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
...from another board:

Leaders,

We are getting close to obtaining approval to establish an Intelligence qualification pin. On June 4th, I signed the two OPNAV Instructions which will govern the qualification program for our pin. This action was the final step in the process to request an Intelligence breast insignia from the CNO, via the Navy Uniform Board. Our package requesting the insignia will be reviewed by the complete Navy Uniform Board in late July. If ultimately approved by the CNO, it will be announced to the Fleet through a NAVADMIN.

The right to wear the insignia will be earned through the completion of the Professional Qualification Standard (PQS) for Intelligence Officers and a qualification board. Those Intelligence Officers who have already begun or completed the Intelligence Officer Basic Professional Qualification Program (PQP) book and qualification board will be allowed to earn the pin through that program (Details provided in attached 101417Z MAR 09 NETWARCOM message). There is also a "grandfather clause" in the instruction which qualifies our more senior Intelligence Officers (those not subject to the PQS or PQP) to wear the pin based on their demonstrated knowledge and service in the Naval Intelligence community. One important element of this program is that it will be a mandatory qualification for our 163x and 645x Officers (optional for 745X). Absent an approved waiver, failure to complete the qualification program within the authorized timeline (2 years for Active Component Officers, 5 years for Reserve Component Officers) will be grounds for removal from our community.

I've also attached the actual pin design proposed to the Uniform Board. The design may incur some minor changes as we work through the prototype and manufacturing process, but I expect the final product to be very similar in appearance. Contracting, prototyping and manufacturing will likely take 6 to 9 months, so don't plan on wearing the new insignia until before Spring 2010.

This marks a key milestone toward our shared objective of clearly establishing intelligence as a core warfighting capability of the U.S. Navy. Increasing the professionalization of our force is a critical step in that regard, and the Intelligence qualification pin will be a proud symbol of that professionalism for those who earn the right to wear it.

Vr/ DJD (VADM Jack Dorsett, Director of Naval Intelligence)

Attachments

• 101417Z MAR 09 INTEL PQS Announcement Message.doc
    29 KB · Views: 163
  • Proposed Intel Insignia Graphic Description - ENCL 1.pdf
    53.1 KB · Views: 800

dephyler

Contributor
What color shoes?

pink?

Can't say I'm too thrilled with the prospects of wearing that ugly thing. It's good to know that they tried really hard to cram as many ideas onto one pin as possible. reminds me of bad power point slides...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Any ideas for the list of proposed PQS sign-offs to get this pin? ;)

exhelodrvr

pilot
They could have put a depiction of a topless model on it, in reference to the slides they used to put in the recce training so that people would pay attention. But I guess that wouldn't "fly" in today's Navy.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
They could have put a depiction of a topless model on it, in reference to the slides they used to put in the recce training so that people would pay attention. But I guess that wouldn't "fly" in today's Navy.

White shoes only. Pith hat optional.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
could it be any more ugly? Sounds like intel is moving closer to URL standards: get your pin or GTFO!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
What I've always found amusing is how all the other communities (except for Dolphins) have made their pins bigger than wings, which I'm pretty sure were first. IMO, there's really only one community that "deserves" (bad word, I know) to be big and bad, and that's the Trident. Everything else seems to be over-compensating for something.

bucki4lyfe

Michigan Sucks
Oy. One step close to Air Forceism. Pins for all my friends!

Totally true...I used to be an old air force guy (some minor experience) and I was amazed at all of the badges I saw. I saw one dude whom I think had 3--parachutist badge, maintenance, and logistics (which basically is the same as MX)...and because of the way the air force uniform regs are...they were all stacked on top of one another..practically up to his shoulder. At least in the army, if you earn multiple badges, they can be placed on different areas of the left breast...

Oh well...

could it be any more ugly? Sounds like intel is moving closer to URL standards: get your pin or GTFO!

This was interesting to me too...as a new reservist, I'm interested to see how my counterparts will react to this...old guys gettin' off their butts and doin it, or new guys procrastinating...I guess we'll see.

Now, I know there's been some blowback on the design...but doesn't anybody else think that MAYBE it's 'ok' considering there's a lightning bolt and a sword? :icon_smil (I know, total opposite of your assumed intel guy/gal...at least the air force badge has a key on it)