• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval build-up in the Gulf?

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
It sounds pretty far-fetched to me, and do we even allow other countries aircraft to fly off our carriers? I was under the impressions the weights and such were done to such a small margin of error it would be difficult to have aircraft not specifically designed for our carriers flying off them.

489_JMG-205K01-0460.jpg

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm more surprised/impressed that the Rafale launch bars are compatible with US cats. I would have figured they'd use a slightly different system just to be...well, French. Or would that be a NATO standard thing?

Also, with the French E-2s aboard, did they take any US E-2s, or did they leave them all on the beach? If they took a full squadron of le Hummers, there wouldn't be any more deck space for the American ones. I would have guessed 2 US, 2 French...

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm more surprised/impressed that the Rafale launch bars are compatible with US cats. I would have figured they'd use a slightly different system just to be...well, French. Or would that be a NATO standard thing?

Also, with the French E-2s aboard, did they take any US E-2s, or did they leave them all on the beach? If they took a full squadron of le Hummers, there wouldn't be any more deck space for the American ones. I would have guessed 2 US, 2 French...

Well, they used to fly our F-8s and they still fly our E-2s. I'm guessing they designed the Rafale to be compatible with US carriers.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

Longer launch bar, but compatible. They have their own holdback bars and special catapult shuttles. NAVAIR Lakehurst runs their ALRE (Aviation Launch and Recovery Equipment) program as well as our own. We send an American ALRE maintenance officer to the Charles De Gaulle to assist them with their program.

Their Hummers were treated the same as our Hummers. Same launch bulletins, holdbacks, etc. US and French E2s operated at the same time.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Or would that be a NATO standard thing?

Since the French are one of only two other countries left that use catapults on their aircraft carriers, and the third uses an old French carrier, I would call it a Franco-American standard. Or something like that ;).

snake020

Contributor
Since the French are one of only two other countries left that use catapults on their aircraft carriers, and the third uses an old French carrier, I would call it a Franco-American standard. Or something like that ;).

Why did the British inventors abandon catapults on their carriers anyway?