• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Aviations "One" Problem...

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
In the Navy anyway (I don't know about the other Reserves), SELRES are forbidden from getting a 20-year regular retirement. You have to be authorized in writing to even go into sanctuary, and get a waiver to mobilize if you're over 16 years total active duty. Unless you're literally irreplaceable - "senior doctor with unique/esoteric specialty" was the example I was always given - you will not be approved for any of that. If you get into sanctuary without authorization, they don't have to honor it (and according to the instruction, they won't).
This is true of all the reserve components including the army and air guard. You can actually get 20 years worth of points and end up close to the same retirement pay…but you aren’t going to see that money until you hit 60.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Yeah, I've had this discussion here before and still can't believe it. The ANG will work with folks to get them their AD retirement if they're close. In fact, it's encouraged by all levels of leadership. It's a win/win. Billets get filled by folks who volunteer and the volunteers get their career goals met. Tons of ADOS and STAT tours for 3-4 years out there at all of the MAJCOM bases just for this reason. Lots of ability to homestead and keep family stability. It can be a bit of work to keep flying, but it's not impossible by any means.
We have an amazing senior enlisted Reservist who was a city metro cop who applied and was accepted to FBI Academy - we put him on AD to cover his employment gap for a year while the red tape of his academy start date was resolved after he resigned from his metro police job. It was refreshing to see the AF back this 100%

MGoBrew11

pilot
Ah, so they're not reservists?
Uncle Fester already hit the highest points but yeah, it’s essentially the full time reserve managers. Different (but in some ways same) career track and supposed to be more flexibility. Unfortunately from what I hear it’s been creeping more and more towards just regular Navy over the years. I still think it’s been better from my experience, but it’s not as good a deal as it once was.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Uncle Fester already hit the highest points but yeah, it’s essentially the full time reserve managers. Different (but in some ways same) career track and supposed to be more flexibility. Unfortunately from what I hear it’s been creeping more and more towards just regular Navy over the years. I still think it’s been better from my experience, but it’s not as good a deal as it once was.
Mileage definitely varies depending on your community and command. Overall I think it’s a good way to go for folks who want to stay on active duty and enjoy the pay/benefits that come with it, but have found that the Sea/Shore duty grind isn’t for them for whatever reason.

As a possible COA, I could imagine something like NPC holds Senior Officer Definite Recall (or whatever) boards once or twice per FY. Open to O-5s and O-6s with between x and y years total active duty (like, more than 11 or 12 but less than 15 or 16) who are willing to commit to Z years recall, or “no more than Z” years, with he understanding that at the end of the recall they’re at 20+ total AD time and are entitled to a regular retirement. Number to be selected dependent on needs of the Navy.

Navy gets to fill some of the billets that need senior, Fleet-experienced bubbas but maybe aren’t the most career-enhancing. NMCC / MOC watchfloor type jobs, say, or maybe some staffs or schoolhouses. Regular AD dudes don’t have to jump on those grenades or get yoinked off to an IA. And the Reserve dudes earn a regular retirement.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
This is true of all the reserve components including the army and air guard. You can actually get 20 years worth of points and end up close to the same retirement pay…but you aren’t going to see that money until you hit 60.
The Guard takes off a day of age 60 for each day you are deployed overseas, in 90 day increments. That, with some AGR time got me 53% at just past my 58th birthday. Does the Navy Reserve do that too?

The Army National Guard wasn't a bad way to finish out. The deployments were austere with real combat and staying in CHUs and tents, but I did stay in the cockpit the whole time flying Black Hawks and did some neat missions. I intentionally ditched AGR status before 20 AD to be eligible to use my AD buy back to get a FERS retirement as well. I ended with 7664 military retirement points and 23.5 years of FERS (GS-12/13) retirement.

Last edited:

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
That somehow hasn’t died today…
My friend, we've been doing IAs so long, they're now a Navy tradition. ;)😬

Isn’t it funny how the boats are always running out of people and we HAVE to go now, now, now, but when the FRSs and TRACOM are running out of people, they just have to suck it up?

Also, involuntary IAs should absolutely not be a thing anymore.
Isn't it possible to train SWOs or sub guys to do some of those jobs? I know quite a few of each who would have loved to learn how to be shooters or arresting gear dudes. It can't be that hard to teach non-pilot types how to do it could it?

Mileage definitely varies depending on your community and command. Overall I think it’s a good way to go for folks who want to stay on active duty and enjoy the pay/benefits that come with it, but have found that the Sea/Shore duty grind isn’t for them for whatever reason.

As a possible COA, I could imagine something like NPC holds Senior Officer Definite Recall (or whatever) boards once or twice per FY. Open to O-5s and O-6s with between x and y years total active duty (like, more than 11 or 12 but less than 15 or 16) who are willing to commit to Z years recall, or “no more than Z” years, with he understanding that at the end of the recall they’re at 20+ total AD time and are entitled to a regular retirement. Number to be selected dependent on needs of the Navy.

Navy gets to fill some of the billets that need senior, Fleet-experienced bubbas but maybe aren’t the most career-enhancing. NMCC / MOC watchfloor type jobs, say, or maybe some staffs or schoolhouses. Regular AD dudes don’t have to jump on those grenades or get yoinked off to an IA. And the Reserve dudes earn a regular retirement.
This would make sense. When I was at 6th Fleet, we were always hurting for MOC watchfloor personnel and battle watch captains. Nobody wanted that job or the N33 job in charge of all of them because the hours sucked and you were constantly in a FLAILEX to answer the FOGOs' or SECDEF's questions and build the 1,111th storyboard slide for some captain somewhere. They eventually started poaching us JOs from the various offices to stand nightwatches.

The Guard takes off a day of age 60 for each day you are deployed overseas, in 90 day increments. That, with some AGR time got me 53% at just past my 58th birthday. Does the Navy Reserve do that too?

The Army National Guard wasn't a bad way to finish out. The deployments were austere with real combat in CHUs and tents, but I did stay in the cockpit the whole time flying Black Hawks and do some neat missions. I intentionally ditched AGR status before 20 AD to be eligible to use my AD buy back to get a FERS retirement as well. I ended with 7664 military retirement points and 23.5 years of FERS (GS-12/13) retirement.
The Navy does this as well. I think it was actually made official DoD policy a few years ago in one of the NDAAs.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Eh. If you get 20 years worth of AD points you get an AD retirement that you start collecting right away. Plenty of folks retiring here off of not just AGR, but MPA, ADOS, STAT, and Temp AGR orders and they're collecting retirement pay and benefits right away.

Now if you want to double dip and get two retirements you have to play a different game. But then you have to stay in the military until you're 60.

hscs

pilot
My friend, we've been doing IAs so long, they're now a Navy tradition. ;)😬

Isn't it possible to train SWOs or sub guys to do some of those jobs? I know quite a few of each who would have loved to learn how to be shooters or arresting gear dudes. It can't be that hard to teach non-pilot types how to do it could it?

This would make sense. When I was at 6th Fleet, we were always hurting for MOC watchfloor personnel and battle watch captains. Nobody wanted that job or the N33 job in charge of all of them because the hours sucked and you were constantly in a FLAILEX to answer the FOGOs' or SECDEF's questions and build the 1,111th storyboard slide for some captain somewhere. They eventually started poaching us JOs from the various offices to stand nightwatches.

The Navy does this as well. I think it was actually made official DoD policy a few years ago in one of the NDAAs.
I’m not sure putting SWOs in will work. Cats and A/G are not under the JFMM, they follow the NAMP. TBH, I would not want someone who grew up under the JFMM running Cats and A/G.

Second, PERS 41 struggles to fill the conventional 1110 billets on a CVN. They wouldn’t fill the additional billets even if 1110s wanted to do it.

I’m sure it’s probably been discussed, but a LDO option might make more sense. Assessments would have to increase

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Eh. If you get 20 years worth of AD points you get an AD retirement that you start collecting right away. Plenty of folks retiring here off of not just AGR, but MPA, ADOS, STAT, and Temp AGR orders and they're collecting retirement pay and benefits right away.

Now if you want to double dip and get two retirements you have to play a different game. But then you have to stay in the military until you're 60.
Didn’t used to be that way. When I retired you could make 20 year points, but not go right into retirement. There was a NGB policy then that might have been cancelled.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
One would think so, but they’re still tagging people you wouldn’t expect for stuff like this. A buddy of mine left his first sea tour to be an FRS instructor and, upon checking in, they said “welcome aboard, you’ll be IA to Bahrain for 8 months.”

So he gets an out of cockpit and away from family IA nut punch that turns his 3 year FRS IP gig into a 2 year one (and that nut punch will leave him behind his peers in instructor quals and therefore ranked lower) , but he'll also still have to suck up a shitty boat tour that he probably doesn't want to do?

3-year FRS IP tour? My friend my friend, you may not be aware that first shore tour orders are being issued for 24-30 months to ensure they have enough time remaining to MSR to be obligated into a disassociated tour.

Calling balls and strikes here but, this is one area where the Marines do it relatively well. IAs are usually fed out of MEF billets and not HQMC/M&RA. Therefore shielding the manpower drain from TECOM. You would never see a TECOM IP get pulled (unless you volunteered, w/ blessing of your COC) for an operational IA in the Marines. Generals and staffs tend get finicky when you steal their manpower.

Odominable

PILOT HMSD TRACK FAIL
pilot
Calling balls and strikes here but, this is one area where the Marines do it relatively well. IAs are usually fed out of MEF billets and not HQMC/M&RA. Therefore shielding the manpower drain from TECOM. You would never see a TECOM IP get pulled (unless you volunteered, w/ blessing of your COC) for an operational IA in the Marines. Generals and staffs tend get finicky when you steal their manpower.

Agreed (reserve activations also help with the IA piece). Something I’ve also learned I took for granted is the Marines are shockingly cool about B-billet/MSR management especially compared to the Navy. It is very, very easy to ride out a CNATRA / FRS tour to greener pastures should you so choose to.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Didn’t used to be that way. When I retired you could make 20 year points, but not go right into retirement. There was a NGB policy then that might have been cancelled.

There is a difference between 20 years worth of AD points, and 20 years worth of reserve points. RDUs, AFTPs, and any inactive duty orders don't count towards that 20 years (that is, until you get 20 years of AD points, then they all count... which is weird).
I suppose it's so much easier these days will all of the Title 10 MPA, ADOS and STAT orders flying around.

Last edited:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Agreed. I know a couple of guys who did fires-O tours, and while they trained with SOF, they weren’t going on raids.

Not saying this dude didn’t, but I can’t imagine that it’s common for non-SOF supporting billets to go on mission.

It's not uncommon for the security element to be non-SOF. That doesn't mean he had any business being there, but he found a way to tag along and found some level of satisfaction in doing so.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
There is a difference between 20 years worth of AD points, and 20 years worth of reserve points. RDUs, AFTPs, and any inactive duty orders don't count towards that 20 years (that is, until you get 20 years of AD points, then they all count... which is weird).
I suppose it's so much easier these days will all of the Title 10 MPA, ADOS and STAT orders flying around.
I agree. Back in 2011, when I retired from the Guard, NGB would not let an individual (traditional guardsman) get to sanctuary. Basically, the Title 10 and ADOS stuff just stopped for that person. I ‘ll also note that Air Guard may have been a very different animal, what with all those jets and stuff.

Last edited: