• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAVAIR Reserve Program (NRP) and DCO opportunities: AEDO & AMDO

89jettagtx

Sailor & Engineer
Official results are out! I was contacted by my recruiter who told me I have been selected for AEDO. Thanks in large part to this page and everyone who asked and answered questions. THANK YOU ALL!

I was caught off guard when I was told I could pick a preferred command. Can anyone give a brief run down of the possibilities and your favorite command or project that you've been a part of? I live in Jacksonville, FL and would like the simplicity of staying local. However, I would not hesitate to travel on IDTT and AT to work on interesting projects.

Note: The brief I found detailing the AEDO location sites is an older ppt.

Gizmo85

Official results are out! I was contacted by my recruiter who told me I have been selected for AEDO. Thanks in large part to this page and everyone who asked and answered questions. THANK YOU ALL!

I was caught off guard when I was told I could pick a preferred command. Can anyone give a brief run down of the possibilities and your favorite command or project that you've been a part of? I live in Jacksonville, FL and would like the simplicity of staying local. However, I would not hesitate to travel on IDTT and AT to work on interesting projects.

I've been trying to get in contact with my recruiter for a very long time now.
I've called district and they can't confirm if he left or even about my results.

Congratulations on your selection for AEDO.

Milo87

Since you are located in Jax I would suggest FRC Jax. We currently are a mix of AEDOs and AMDOs. That would keep you local but depending on billet availability you may get attached else where. Regardless, at some point in your future expect to be CAO to one of our other units within NRP. Great part about that is that all of our units are great with ample opportunity to gain experience and work on stimulating projects and missions.

Congrats on your selection!!

Gizmo85

Finally got some feedback. Found out that my recruiter never submitted my package along with four other applicants. My package was completed and he told me days before the delaine that my package was routed. For two months I couldn't get a response via text, voice mail or email. It took me contacting several out of my local state recruiters and call up the HQ to get the feedback. The reason he couldn't be reached this whole time is because he just wasn't responding back.

89jettagtx

Sailor & Engineer
Finally got some feedback. Found out that my recruiter never submitted my package along with four other applicants. My package was completed and he told me days before the delaine that my package was routed. For two months I couldn't get a response via text, voice mail or email. It took me contacting several out of my local state recruiters and call up the HQ to get the feedback. The reason he couldn't be reached this whole time is because he just wasn't responding back.
This was my biggest fear when completing my package. The ability to get some sort of confirmation other than "reach out to your recruiter" would be more ideal. Recruiters are people and people make mistakes. Trust but verify is still a thing in the Navy (and beyond).

So sorry that happened to you but I hope you don't let this stop you from applying again.
Since you are located in Jax I would suggest FRC Jax. We currently are a mix of AEDOs and AMDOs. That would keep you local but depending on billet availability you may get attached else where. Regardless, at some point in your future expect to be CAO to one of our other units within NRP. Great part about that is that all of our units are great with ample opportunity to gain experience and work on stimulating projects and missions.

Congrats on your selection!!
FRC Jax has been requested. My OR is putting the request in and I really hope there are open billets!

Last edited:

Gizmo85

This was my biggest fear when completing my package. The inability to get some sort of confirmation other than "reach out to your recruiter" would be more ideal. Recruiters are people and people make mistakes. Trust but verify is still a thing in the Navy (and beyond).

So sorry that happened to you but I hope you don't let this stop you from applying again.

FRC Jax has been requested. My OR is putting the request in and I really hope there are open billets!
I would fully understand if this was a mistake, but from the feedback I got it wasn't. However, I'm just moving over to another recruiter next time around. Like an old Commander once told me..."At a certain rank, some mistakes shouldn't happen".

Rotor_trash

Are there any flying SELRES AEDO billets? (Similar to flight test engineer) Understand from the community brief there seems to be a lot of active duty flying billets but did not see anything on the Reserve Component.

I’m a CW3 in the ARNG with 2,000 total flight hours and an Aerospace Engineer (GS) at NASA working in Structural Mechanics. Undergrad in Mechanical Engineering, Masters in Aeronautical Engineering and Systems Engineering. One day, (probably the day before I retire) I will finish my PhD…. if any of that makes a difference.

Gizmo85

Are there any flying SELRES AEDO billets? (Similar to flight test engineer) Understand from the community brief there seems to be a lot of active duty flying billets but did not see anything on the Reserve Component.

I’m a CW3 in the ARNG with 2,000 total flight hours and an Aerospace Engineer (GS) at NASA working in Structural Mechanics. Undergrad in Mechanical Engineering, Masters in Aeronautical Engineering and Systems Engineering. One day, (probably the day before I retire) I will finish my PhD…. if any of that makes a difference.
Hello, in regards to Flight Test Engineers. AEDO doesn't have billets for flying. You'll have to be a pilot or a Naval Weapons Officer (Back Seat and or Co Pilot) on heavy aircraft to be close to being a flight engineer. The Navy does have CWOs, but they don't fly like the Army CWOs do.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
Hello, in regards to Flight Test Engineers. AEDO doesn't have billets for flying. You'll have to be a pilot or a Naval Weapons Officer (Back Seat and or Co Pilot) on heavy aircraft to be close to being a flight engineer. The Navy does have CWOs, but they don't fly like the Army CWOs do.
Naval flight officer?

Gizmo85

Naval flight officer?
Yeah, WIZO different terms depending on who your talking. Radar Officer if your back seat fighter or WIZO. As for what he was asking about, from my knowledge we don't have Flight Test Engineers, maybe P8s have them.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Bolded sentence isn't true, at least not for active-duty AEDO. There aren't many flying billets, and most are filled by TPS grads (to include NFOs). I'm not smart on reserve AEDO opportunities, but I'm guessing any flight would only be if activated.

I know an Army Reserve E-9 who flies with our prime contractor as an FTE, but everyone I've seen flying at Pax is either AD, Gov Civ, or contractor - no reservists (that I know of).

taxi1

pilot
Are there any flying SELRES AEDO billets? (Similar to flight test engineer)...
Here's what is most likely old gouge now...no formal SELRES AEDO billets for flight orders. There was (and probably still is) cadres of drone operators.

There are also occasional opportunities for guys with wings and the right connections to do some flying. There have been a few reservists who are test airmen on the civvy side and have done flying while on their active duty time (I did WAY back in the day).

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
Yeah, WIZO different terms depending on who your talking. Radar Officer if your back seat fighter or WIZO. As for what he was asking about, from my knowledge we don't have Flight Test Engineers, maybe P8s have them.
1694478785174.gif

• Haha
Reactions: IKE

Gizmo85

Bolded sentence isn't true, at least not for active-duty AEDO. There aren't many flying billets, and most are filled by TPS grads (to include NFOs). I'm not smart on reserve AEDO opportunities, but I'm guessing any flight would only be if activated.

I know an Army Reserve E-9 who flies with our prime contractor as an FTE, but everyone I've seen flying at Pax is either AD, Gov Civ, or contractor - no reservists (that I know of).
Yeah, no one is a SELRES AMDO doing this. I've been at Pax for Flight Testing and never seen a Reservist stand in as a Flight Engineer. Navy wise I've never seen or heard of an AEDO flying as a duty. Only ones i know that have wings are Pilots, NFOs, Flight Surgeons, and Aircrew. Now there might be AEDOs on larger aircraft but I'm not 100% sure on that. I can't speak on what the Army does in regards to Flight Engineers.

taxi1

pilot
Navy wise I've never seen or heard of an AEDO flying as a duty. Only ones i know that have wings are Pilots, NFOs, Flight Surgeons, and Aircrew.
On the active side, lots of AEDOs (all AEDOs I’m pretty sure) have wings and some are in flight billets. On the reserve side there are a lot of winged AEDOs from the fleet, but also a lot of direct commission ones too.