• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

national security clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

0ctopus

I'm more concerned about the credit check. I originally put on my EPSQ that I didn't have credit problems, but then I have found that my credit card companies, because I'm going through a debt management program, have totally trashed my credit rating. There's no hiding that, and I don't know if changing my story now would keep me out of crypto or what. I guess what happens, happens.

Navynurse2be

Once again, off the post topic. I think there are enough sites on the internet that are of better interest then this one to "bad" people. The question is not how do we sneak past a background check anyway. Terrorists know far better then we do obviously or we would not have had 9/11, huh?

TM

Dunedan

Picture Clean!
None
Good points to remember from Navynurse2be and Curmudgeon. Anyone with internet access could be looking at this discussion, American or otherwise. However, nobody is trying to explain how to scam the folks who do background checks. To answer the original question...

As far as checking medical backgrounds - the physicals you get in the Navy will indicate many things (as an example, a dentist can tell if you are a smoker). For Secret clearance, however, I don't think that they are going to spend a whole lot of time and money looking for some nitpicky thing that happened umpteen years ago unless there is some indication that you are trying to hide it. They may talk to friends, family, or former coworkers about you, and if one of these people says something that interests them, they may follow up on it.

If a person has something completely diqualifying in their background (an OD on heroin or such) is would be a REALLY bad idea to try and cover it up. A good physical might uncover indications of that kind of thing, triggering a more thorough examination. For those with such things in their past, don't even apply for a job in the military. Also, they may, on a random basis, do an extremely thorough check. They could find out from former employers what health insurance a person had, and they could find out from public records if a person was treated without insurance for a condition that resulted from criminal activity.

Best answer - if you've got something like that in your background, look for another job. Otherwise, focus on your new job and let the investigators do theirs...if you are not sure if something in your past would cause you to fail a background check, keep it to yourself unless specifically asked. Then, as always, tell the truth. The condition may not be disqualifying in itself, but lying about it certainly would be.
-A

Ummm...yeah

Jeremy

Right on. This topic is not about how to fool a background investigator.

For a TS clearance, the gov. shells out around $160,000 in paid manpower to investigate you (or so I was told). This means that they WILL spend a good amount of time being thorough. As Dunedan pointed out, they will find out from public records (and private) what you have been up to as far as police, credit, and medical. Psychological problems (ie anti-depressants, etc...) and police records minus speeding tickets are very close to being disqualifiers (not in all cases). Credit is not so much of a big factor given that most people are fairly young that are going through these initial investigations and they expect mistakes.

-J

version2point0

totally. the whole point of my bringing this up was to find out the process not how to beat it. i have not lied about anything to the navy and thats how i intend to keep it. i was just wondering the steps and such. i mean we have SNA pipeline flowcharts describing how what and where and when our flight training will be but everyone trips on me for asking what the process is for security clearance. really its just information from people who know to people who dont. thats the nature of this forum right? and if i dont need to know something yet, then im sure its not going to be told to me yet.

-v2.0

0ctopus

Okay, yeah, I talked to my recruiters and they told me not to worry too much about credit problems. Thanks for your response.

Status
Not open for further replies.