• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

national security clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

version2point0

so with all the gouge about OCS i havent read anything about national security clearance. my recruiter told me that the FBI totally goes through your background while you are in OCS. he said that if there is any problems, they will sit you down and ask you questions around the 10th or 11th week of OCS before they allow you to graduate. another friend of mine who is a recruit said that his clearance took 6 months.

has anyone experienced problems regarding their clearance? has anyone had the FBI talk to them about anything while in OCS? i was just wondering if they are really super strict now that sept 11th has occured and we went to war recently. not that i have done anything wrong, but you know it is a key step to graduating OCS and being in the navy!

-v2.0

Jeremy

I am a prior enlisted Sergeant that served in the Intel field. I had an SSBI done for a TS SCI clearance and will tell you that you don't need that to be an officer. Most people require Secret though and there is a small investigation I'm sure as well. The FBI questionnaire is like 30 pages and takes forever. I wouldn't worry about anything though unless you have been convicted of a felony or are a dishonorable person. If you have been/done anything like that you will be found out. Just FYI.

schmuckatelli

Your recruiter might have you fill out the EPSQ which is a computer program that you fill in with personal info from the last 7 years. This is the info that gets submitted when they do your investigation for a secret clearance. I STRONGLY recommend making a copy of the EPSQ printout and also to save it to a disk and keep it in a safe place because it is a pain to fill out again and it could get lost between the time you fill it out and the time they actually start the investigation (which is what happened to me). If you need a clearance before they finish the investigation (e.g., when you are in the FRS) your squadron's security manager can grant you an interim clearance until the final one comes through. You will not even need to worry about security clearances until you get your wings.

version2point0

convicted of a felony.... no. dishonerable person... too vague to answer. what do you mean by that? i mean theres taking a candybar when youre 8 dishonerable, tripping in a high school race dishonerable, writing bad checks dishonerable... what do you mean by that?

-v2.0

jpfarsider

Just don't lie on the EPSQ. You might feel that you should cover something up, don't. They have a way of finding things out and it could turn out to be harmless, but since you lied about it they will deny you a clearance.

you'll be asked if you have any current, pending, or past criminal activity (including tickets above $200 dollars) or civil suits against you, foreign country activity (business trips, pleasure, etc), medical record (mental health), drug use, and if you support any groups that want to take over the US by violent means... hopefully any of us here don't support that can of activity :)

hope this helps.

mcm

As I understand, the DOD has outside contractors that do the SSBI investigations, not the FBI.

What about the references we list on the EPSQ? What kind of interviewing do they go through? The EPSQ asks to list people who "knew you well" 7 years ago. I actually haven't kept in touch with anyone who knew me well 7 years ago. I suppose I could look them up and tell them what I'm doing, like I did with my previous employers & college professors I listed on the pre-app (Marines, by the way). It might also help to know that they are still "good references," that is still alive, not in jail, etc. These old friends of mine would probably like to know what to expect from the investigation. What if some of them prefer not to be bothered...?

Curmudgeon

You might want to use old family friends, friends of your parents ... for references. They tend to be more stable in location and easier to find. The once or twice I've been a reference have just taken 5 minutes or so of my time. Do let your references know ahead of time though.

To the "don't lie" I would add "don't change your mind about how to treat something in the past". It sets off alarm bells. Had a friend who was going in (enlisted) for Linguist (had great aptitude). When he first filled out the paperwork, he forgot to include an incident where he was arrested (at age 12 or 13); since juvenile records are sealed, it would never have come up. When he was doing a second round, he remembered the case and included it, trying to do the right thing, and the Army screwed around for 6 months before they finally decided it (changing his story, not the arrest) was disqualifying. He went air force, and is in Iraq now, A10 crew chief, but I'm sure he would have been a lot more valuable as an Arabic translator.

Moral of the story: carefully review and work through all the details *before* you submit the paperwork.

version2point0

yeah but thats where a problem coems in. i filled out a national security app when i joined the BDCP almost 2 years ago. not that i did anything wrong, but what if i mistype one little thing i mean anything can happen.

and another thing... i did some research for an english class where i had to review cults and stuff. i mean do they totally check your internet records and stuff? that seems kinda scary.

-v2.0

jpfarsider

double check your forms!!! As for dates, I put down approximate dates. All you need to do is write that little statement in the remarks field.

don't worry about the internet stuff. As long as you didn't pay money to a website that wants to overtake the US, you'll be fine

nic22

I received a temporary secret clearance after about a month and then they sent out short questionaires to my references. Just make sure you save all the information on the form because it is such a pain to do and you will eventually have to update it.

mcm

Originally posted by Curmudgeon
The once or twice I've been a reference have just taken 5 minutes or so of my time.

Was that the 7-year SSBI (secret clearance) or something else? I guess 5 minutes is a little short for an intense field interview, right?

Curmudgeon

Originally posted by mcm
Originally posted by Curmudgeon
The once or twice I've been a reference have just taken 5 minutes or so of my time.

Was that the 7-year SSBI (secret clearance) or something else? I guess 5 minutes is a little short for an intense field interview, right?

Well, five minutes may have been exagerating; 15 or 20 might be more likely; these were renewal clearance for somebody deep into satellite stuff.

PU Grad

MAC flight user
pilot
There are way too many types of clearance to go thru. The two basics are Secret and Top Secret. Now this does not mean that if you have Secret clearance you are entitled to know everything at that level of clearance. What is shared is always on a "need to know" basis.

Many different government organizations have their own clearance 'type' and some of these transfer from one organization to the next. Some don't.

I would bet you could look online for multiple types of clearances.

Kobyra

P.S. I know nothing about clearances for those in the military, I just know the basics on civilian clearances for DoD work on satelites (and similar work).

Status
Not open for further replies.