• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

National OPO Blog

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can count on one hand the number of people that tested at my NRD that failed to meet the minimum 5's per the PA in over 3 years, so getting PQ was the real issue for us.

I will add there were some scores I may have missed when I was out of the office.
Poor choice of words on my part. Rather than "failure" I should have said "competitive". I saw lots of guys not cut a competitive score. It was rare they didn't accept my counsel to either bag it entirely or come back and test again. Maybe it was a different time. Almost never did we have to submit non competitive packages we had no faith in, or do a formal field reject, just because the applicant was a spoiled entitled brat. And while some guys would not PQ at the end of the day, usually a consult, BP diary, or some such thing got them the PQ. Stuff that could DQ a guy was often revealed by the Corpsman before they went to MEPS and we could send them packing with our thanks for their interest. Maybe it is more difficult to get a PQ on this generation, dunno. It was nice having a Corpsman for screening. He also coordinated the NROTC program or was a Med Programs recruiter.
Maybe it is something they should consider again.

exNavyOffRec

Poor choice of words on my part. Rather than "failure" I should have said "competitive". I saw lots of guys not cut a competitive score. It was rare they didn't accept my counsel to either bag it entirely or come back and test again. Maybe it was a different time. Almost never did we have to submit non competitive packages we had no faith in, or do a formal field reject, just because the applicant was a spoiled entitled brat. And while some guys would not PQ at the end of the day, usually a consult, BP diary, or some such thing got them the PQ. Stuff that could DQ a guy was often revealed by the Corpsman before they went to MEPS and we could send them packing with our thanks for their interest. Maybe it is more difficult to get a PQ on this generation, dunno. It was nice having a Corpsman for screening. He also coordinated the NROTC program or was a Med Programs recruiter.
Maybe it is something they should consider again.

In general the majority of the people we tested had 7's or greater, we had people that would cut 5's and 6's and some would take advice and do better, some would just scrap it, and there were the ones that would insist on going with the low scores, some of those spoiled brats I encountered were prior enlisted who felt entitled as well as kids from CPO's and senior officers.

I was pretty good at medical screening, it doesn't take much to get up to speed now so that really helped out, plus building good relationships with a nurse or corpsman doesn't hurt.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
As a heads up, all packages now require a PQ N3M letter in order to submit. Not just Pilot/NFO/SWO anymore. If you submitted your package prior to 1 sept 14, you're fine and grandfathered into the old rules.

exNavyOffRec

As a heads up, all packages now require a PQ N3M letter in order to submit. Not just Pilot/NFO/SWO anymore. If you submitted your package prior to 1 sept 14, you're fine and grandfathered into the old rules.

Is this a surprise to anyone, it seems like all roads were going that direction.

National OPO

All - information from within NRC is that the RC IDC DCO board results (from the 15Sep14) board were released back on 18Sep to the NRDs. The selection rate at that RC IDC DCO board was 20%. The results for the AC IDC board have still not been given back to NRC by the IDC community. But that AC IDC board did start on 15Sep as was scheduled. As is often the case, NRC is at the mercy of the community (in this case the AC IDC community) to conclude the board and provide the results back to NRC for final procecessing/validation before pushing the results out to the fleet and NRDs. The results are expected any day now from the AC IDC community back to NRC. And as soon as NRC gets the results, will push them out to the fleet (by BOL) and to the NRDs through the Recruiting Regions.

spazzz

All - information from within NRC is that the RC IDC DCO board results (from the 15Sep14) board were released back on 18Sep to the NRDs. The selection rate at that RC IDC DCO board was 20%. The results for the AC IDC board have still not been given back to NRC by the IDC community. But that AC IDC board did start on 15Sep as was scheduled. As is often the case, NRC is at the mercy of the community (in this case the AC IDC community) to conclude the board and provide the results back to NRC for final procecessing/validation before pushing the results out to the fleet and NRDs. The results are expected any day now from the AC IDC community back to NRC. And as soon as NRC gets the results, will push them out to the fleet (by BOL) and to the NRDs through the Recruiting Regions.
Thank you for keeping us informed!!

Silhouette

Hello, all! I'm hoping for a bit of help regarding application to the Nurse Corps.
Background: My wife is a former Corpsman (did 5 years) and has been out for 4 years, has an associates in nursing and is working on her bachelor's in nursing now. She's getting her bachelor's through Excelsior (online) and the recruiter she spoke to wasn't sure if an online degree would be accepted for the Nurse Corps. Excelsior is ACEN accredited. Her associates is from a brick-and-mortar school (Community College of Rhode Island), if that matters. --I hope online doesn't ruin her chances; we've moved so often the past three years, she hasn't been able to attend a 'traditional' program.
So first question: Is an online nursing degree from an accredited institution acceptable for the Nurse Corps?
She also has a 20% disability rating for her shoulder from her prior service. She did an online chat with a recruiter and aside from needing to be cleared medically to qualify for a commission, the recruiter mentioned something about relinquishing eligibility for the disability in order to submit the package.
Second question: Would she just be basically certifying that if commissioned she wouldn't be eligible to claim disability for her shoulder again? What if she isn't accepted? Would she still lose her disability rating?
Really appreciate any insight; the searches she has tried haven't yielded any results thus far.

enlUSMC

It's SWOtastic
Hello, all! I'm hoping for a bit of help regarding application to the Nurse Corps.
Background: My wife is a former Corpsman (did 5 years) and has been out for 4 years, has an associates in nursing and is working on her bachelor's in nursing now. She's getting her bachelor's through Excelsior (online) and the recruiter she spoke to wasn't sure if an online degree would be accepted for the Nurse Corps. Excelsior is ACEN accredited. Her associates is from a brick-and-mortar school (Community College of Rhode Island), if that matters. --I hope online doesn't ruin her chances; we've moved so often the past three years, she hasn't been able to attend a 'traditional' program.
So first question: Is an online nursing degree from an accredited institution acceptable for the Nurse Corps?
She also has a 20% disability rating for her shoulder from her prior service. She did an online chat with a recruiter and aside from needing to be cleared medically to qualify for a commission, the recruiter mentioned something about relinquishing eligibility for the disability in order to submit the package.
Second question: Would she just be basically certifying that if commissioned she wouldn't be eligible to claim disability for her shoulder again? What if she isn't accepted? Would she still lose her disability rating?
Really appreciate any insight; the searches she has tried haven't yielded any results thus far.
The webmaster may move your question, but this is the right website to toss that out there.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Have your wife google "navy nurse candidate program". Assuming the program she's attending is CCNE/ACNA accredited, the Navy will pay her 10k up front and 1k a month as she completes school. As for her VA disability, until she is selected and joins the service, she can keep the 20%. Hope this all makes sense.

Silhouette

Have your wife google "navy nurse candidate program". Assuming the program she's attending is CCNE/ACNA accredited, the Navy will pay her 10k up front and 1k a month as she completes school. As for her VA disability, until she is selected and joins the service, she can keep the 20%. Hope this all makes sense.
RUFiO, thanks for the fast response! That's the program she wants to do, so once we get to my next duty station she'll look up the area recruiter to officially start the process and confirm that her school is good to go.
Appreciate what you do here on the site, taking the time to answer so many questions.

Catharine May

All - and feel free to pass this along - OCS is no longer involuntarily cutting the hair of female shippers going to OCS. It used to be that OCS would involuntarily cut both men and women's hair upon their arrival at OCS. And in preps for this, many female shippers would opt to have their hair cut even prior to arriving at OCS in order to have it done by a stylist than perhaps by the barbers at OCS. The command that is in charge of OCS (and enlisted Boot Camp for that matter) has opted to relax the policy on female hair cuts immediately and allow female officer candidates to arrive at OCS, and as long as they can keep their hair in accordance with Navy female hair regulations, will not have to have it cut involuntarily. Therefore, there is no mandatory need for female shippers to consider getting it cut prior to arriving at OCS. They can certainly cut it prior to shipping or even after arriving, but that is their voluntary choice. This change in policy regarding female hair cuts does not apply to nor does it change the policy for male haircuts. And frankly, as a male, would prefer to have a buzz cut while at OCS anyways to avoid having to deal with it = so much easier to deal with during the rigors of OCS.
@National OPO , is this still true? I keep hearing both they don't make you cut it and others that say they went back to cutting hair. Which is it, please?