• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

National OPO Blog

National OPO

Running discussion and information from the National Director of Officer Programs about all commissioning programs processed by Navy Recruiting Command (NRC), to include all OCS, ODS, and DCO programs. Straight info straight from the source! If I dont have the answer, will get it for you.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Welcome to the website! Great to have you here, and a wonderful opportunity for those that are working towards the goal of commissioning to get their questions answered!

John

tdogsmith

Dangle Meistro
I have a quasi-hypothetical question. If you are given a pro-rec Y, is there any way to purposefully delay shipping off to OCS (for say 6 to 9 months)?

A little background on my situation. I just got offered a great job for a prominent defense/aerospace contractor which I accepted, but my gut tells me to continue with the Navy career path I have had my sights set on for a long time. The thing is that experience less than 1 year for a job like this doesn't look too good and my ultimate goal is to get 20+ yrs in the Navy and retire and hopefully come back to work for this same company I just got hired by (in a really good position because they love former military).

Don't get me wrong, the Navy is still my number one priority, I would just prefer to get some time under my belt at this job before shipping off. If I were forced to make a choice I would leave at any point in time for the Navy. If I were to get a pro-rec Y in May (or end of April) as I hope, I would probably work for this company for only 3-5 months or as long as it takes to get FS before leaving (most college hires stay at the company for 15+ years) which is not enough time to get anything useful out of it for both parties involved (company and myself). However, I didn't want to be completely illogical and say no, screw myself out of a job if for some reason I can't get into OCS or some unexpected tragedy occurs.

Any suggestions? I have briefly thought about telling my recruiter to delay submitting my application but I'm worried that I will come off as not committed to the Navy and it will put me in a bad light. Not to mention the past 7 or so months we've both spent on my application (mostly him, he does all the work). I'm 23 years old which leaves me 4 years left to be eligible for pilot, I don't believe an extra 6 months or so would hurt my career in the long run. Also, according to my recruiter, my application should be submitted on Monday, if that's of any importance to anyone reading this.

I apologize, I intended this to be a simple question with a factual-based answer but instead it has turned into more of a plea for career advice from the more experienced folks on this forum. Any input would be helpful.

V/r

Renegade One

None
I have a quasi-hypothetical question. If you are given a pro-rec Y, is there any way to purposefully delay shipping off to OCS (for say 6 to 9 months)?

Some ORs or others with recent experience may likely have better info, but as an admitted "old fart", I'd recommend AGAINST passing up the brass ring this time around for any expectation that it will still be there when the Merry-Go-Round passes it again.
I just got offered a great job for a prominent defense/aerospace contractor which I accepted, but my gut tells me to continue with the Navy career path I have had my sights set on for a long time. The thing is that experience less than 1 year for a job like this doesn't look too good and my ultimate goal is to get 20+ yrs in the Navy and retire and hopefully come back to work for this same company I just got hired by (in a really good position because they love former military).

You are WAAY over-thinking this. I understand why, but don't. 20 years from now, no one in that company will even know your name.
Don't get me wrong, the Navy is still my number one priority….If I were forced to make a choice I would leave at any point in time for the Navy.

Actually, sounds like you've answered your own question.
Any suggestions? I have briefly thought about telling my recruiter to delay submitting my application but I'm worried that I will come off as not committed to the Navy and it will put me in a bad light. Not to mention the past 7 or so months we've both spent on my application (mostly him, he does all the work). I'm 23 years old which leaves me 4 years left to be eligible for pilot, I don't believe an extra 6 months or so would hurt my career in the long run. Also, according to my recruiter, my application should be submitted on Monday, if that's of any importance to anyone reading this.

My suggestion is to not do this. It's sweet that you have this choice…just don't disadvantage the one you really want for something you might want 4-6-8-20 years from now.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't get me wrong, the Navy is still my number one priority, I would just prefer to get some time under my belt at this job before shipping off.
In general, I agree with Renegade One, if the above is true... you've answered your own question, period.
I apologize, I intended this to be a simple question with a factual-based answer but instead it has turned into more of a plea for career advice from the more experienced folks on this forum. Any input would be helpful.
Give it to ya' straight, If you're PQ, in fairly good physical shape, and have no history of legal problems, your degree/GPA, and test scores make you a (near) "shoo in" for any aviation slot. It also qualifies you to apply for Navy Test Pilot & TPS later in your career, if that's your bag.:)

Your degree also qualifies you for an industry entry-level aero-engineering job now, as you indicated; however, you will also have similar openings available, at much higher $$$, after your USN commitment is up, or retirement, when you start your second career in the industry. You can be an SNA/SNFO now, but if you work for a few years, then try before you age out and miss selection, you'll kick your own butt ever after.:mad:

I forgot to say how awesome it is to fly the latest Navy aircraft. R1 above, flew the amazing $50 bazillion/per "swing-wing" F-14 Tomcat when it was brand new, and I was lucky enough to fly the $800K/per A-4 Skyhawk, when it was introduced... back in the stone age!;)

If you REALLY want to fly Navy... it's a no brainer!:D
BzB

croakerfish

pilot

A little background on my situation. I just got offered a great job for a prominent defense/aerospace contractor which I accepted, but my gut tells me to continue with the Navy career path I have had my sights set on for a long time. The thing is that experience less than 1 year for a job like this doesn't look too good and my ultimate goal is to get 20+ yrs in the Navy and retire and hopefully come back to work for this same company I just got hired by (in a really good position because they love former military).

Don't get me wrong, the Navy is still my number one priority, I would just prefer to get some time under my belt at this job before shipping off. If I were forced to make a choice I would leave at any point in time for the Navy. If I were to get a pro-rec Y in May (or end of April) as I hope, I would probably work for this company for only 3-5 months or as long as it takes to get FS before leaving (most college hires stay at the company for 15+ years) which is not enough time to get anything useful out of it for both parties involved (company and myself). However, I didn't want to be completely illogical and say no, screw myself out of a job if for some reason I can't get into OCS or some unexpected tragedy occurs.

V/r

You got a couple very tactful responses from some real BTDT guys. I, however, think you should haze yourself for even asking this. A Pro-Rec is NOT a very concrete thing and once you get it, the clock is ticking. If you're screwing around trying to get clever with your recruiter you WILL lose your chance. Nobody will give you the time of day after that, and rightly so.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Dude, you need to be 100% committed to the Navy not when you go to OCS, not when your swear in, not when you're FINSEL'd, not when you're PROREC'd, not when you're submitting your kit, but rather the moment you meet with the recruiter and start the application process. Before I give the application + checklist to my applicant I always ask "Are you ready to join the Navy?". If the answer is yes, proceed further. If the answer is anything but yes (maybe, I need more time to think, no, etc.), then they're wasting my time and their time.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
As for OCS dates, yes you can request to ship out at a certain time, but no more than six months if you ask me. As for reasons why, it better be a damn good one. For instance, I had one applicant who's wife was expecting. He requested an OCS date a month after the birth so he could see his new child being born. Similar situation with weddings, etc.

exNavyOffRec

As for OCS dates, yes you can request to ship out at a certain time, but no more than six months if you ask me. As for reasons why, it better be a damn good one. For instance, I had one applicant who's wife was expecting. He requested an OCS date a month after the birth so he could see his new child being born. Similar situation with weddings, etc.

When the boards were every month I had a few guys who I put in their applications, the results were out 2 weeks later and I had their FS 2 weeks after that with OCS dates just 4 weeks away, of course those days have passed.

tdogsmith

Dangle Meistro
I appreciate all of the input from everybody, you all pretty much confirmed the answer I was thinking of all along. I guess I tend to over rationalize things.

Just to clarify for a couple of you, my intention was never to be uncommitted to the Navy. I have been completely committed to the Navy long before I began the process of pursuing a commission. The idea of delaying shipping off was because my rationalization told me that leaving a new job after a couple months out of school would have a negative affect on my long-term (20+) year future, not because I would rather have a civilian job over the Navy or because I want to try it out first. Now I realize what Renegade 1 said is completely true, in the broad scope of things, what I do between now and shipping off is completely irrelevant to my future.

You can be an SNA/SNFO now, but if you work for a few years, then try before you age out and miss selection, you'll kick your own butt ever after.:mad:

I think what BusyBee604 said is definitely the ultimate motivator for me. I have a faculty member I have been getting advice from who was an A-6 intruder pilot before eventually becoming an astronaut and he mentioned the same thing, the worst possible thing for me would be missing out on this opportunity and regretting it for the rest of my life.

Thanks everybody.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
tdogsmith,

I'd jump on the Fly Navy gig in a quick-like fashion!

Git while the gittin is good!

:)

Last edited:

Fronch

OCS 03-15 (IW)
Just to clarify for a couple of you, my intention was never to be uncommitted to the Navy. I have been completely committed to the Navy long before I began the process of pursuing a commission. The idea of delaying shipping off was because my rationalization told me that leaving a new job after a couple months out of school would have a negative affect on my long-term (20+) year future, not because I would rather have a civilian job over the Navy or because I want to try it out first. Now I realize what Renegade 1 said is completely true, in the broad scope of things, what I do between now and shipping off is completely irrelevant to my future.
I don't think this is inappropriate to say: Any current or future employer who would look at you negatively for choosing to leave a civilian job to dedicate yourself to serving your country in the Armed Forces probably isn't worth your time or energy.

I think you're too young to be thinking about locking yourself into a 20+ year career, regardless of whether it's in the Navy or in the civilian world. Twelve years ago, when I started my academic career, I never would have thought I'd be leaving to go join the Navy. Life has a funny way of taking us in directions we can't predict, but only if we keep our eyes open and allow ourselves to see the opportunities that present themselves. If serving in the Navy is truly something that you want to do, dedicate yourself fully to that goal; don't let doubt soften your resolve, because as you said, you will regret if you let the opportunity pass you by.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I appreciate all of the input from everybody, you all pretty much confirmed the answer I was thinking of all along. I guess I tend to over rationalize things.

I think what BusyBee604 said is definitely the ultimate motivator for me. I have a faculty member I have been getting advice from who was an A-6 intruder pilot before eventually becoming an astronaut and he mentioned the same thing, the worst possible thing for me would be missing out on this opportunity and regretting it for the rest of my life.

Thanks everybody.
If you get out of the Navy in 10, 20, 30 years no one will care that you left your first job after a few months to join the Navy. Your resume probably won't even mention that first job.