• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

National OPO Blog

jaimej

how long did it take to get your clearance?
That makes sense too. I guess it doesn't matter. My OR wanted everything done before the 5 May application date. I guess his thought was that if I failed either one, MEPS or the background check, there would be no point of submitting my app.... I have no idea how long it took. We had done everything back in March and then we didn't talk again until he told me that the processor had my package and just had to approve. Then he said background and MEPs came back as well. So, I'm not sure the time between he sent it and got it back.

DDE1990

INFORMATION DOMINATOR WARRIOR OR W/E
how long does it usually take to get clearance?

I was pro rec y for supply and swo. first choice is supply and found out this week. already went to meps two weeks ago and turned in my clearance papers two weeks ago also...

thanks guys

What level clearance?

Mozart

Had an appendectomy 3 weeks ago. Even though I was given the all clear by my surgeon today I was told that my spot was given up. Kinda not happy about it at all. Already put in notice at my job and have to move out of my apartment middle of august. Living with family until I ship out.

Dangy

Pew pew pew
pilot
Had an appendectomy 3 weeks ago. Even though I was given the all clear by my surgeon today I was told that my spot was given up. Kinda not happy about it at all. Already put in notice at my job and have to move out of my apartment middle of august. Living with family until I ship out.

Well, I hope they just gave away just your OCS date and didn't take away your pilot/nfo slot. Be grateful for that at least. This means there might, no matter how small, be a chance you'll be place in an earlier, if not, another month of home cooked meals. :)

Mozart

Well, I hope they just gave away just your OCS date and didn't take away your pilot/nfo slot. Be grateful for that at least. This means there might, no matter how small, be a chance you'll be place in an earlier, if not, another month of home cooked meals. :)

Oh No I still have my Pilot slot just most likely a later OCS date. Very inconvenient and could mean I have to resign my job at the end of the month vs taking military leave and getting 2 weeks PTO and pay gap etc.

tdogsmith

Dangle Meistro
Very inconvenient and could mean I have to resign my job at the end of the month vs taking military leave and getting 2 weeks PTO and pay gap etc.

Maybe you know the answer to this question: how does military leave work? I currently work for a very good corporation and if something tragic happened to me at OCS/flight training (medical, general attrition, etc.) I would ideally want to come back to this company. Does it save you a job with them if you decide to come back within a specified length of time (i.e. 5 years) or is it only there to fill a short window of time/pay gap? I haven't contacted my HR about getting info about it yet due to privacy concerns, but I was planning on doing it later down the line once I have a set OCS date.

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
Maybe you know the answer to this question: how does military leave work? I currently work for a very good corporation and if something tragic happened to me at OCS/flight training (medical, general attrition, etc.) I would ideally want to come back to this company. Does it save you a job with them if you decide to come back within a specified length of time (i.e. 5 years) or is it only there to fill a short window of time/pay gap? I haven't contacted my HR about getting info about it yet due to privacy concerns, but I was planning on doing it later down the line once I have a set OCS date.
You talking about with the Navy? No. You get 30 days of leave a year. If something happens and you attrite from OCS/Flight you go to a redes board and if not selected (80% don't) you are out of the Navy.

Mozart

I think he was referring to his current job.

Well with my company, I can take military leave for up to 5 years with the intention of coming back. There is some finaggling considering a certain program is not 5 years. If you cetch my drift. But that means if you fail OCS or flight school etc your old job is there for you, required by law. you also get pay gap. (in my case for the first 52 weeks) meaning the company pays the difference between what the navy pays and what your old job paid. I dont think flight school counts but OCS does. That includes paid holidays and acquired PTO. I get 20 days PTO a year so thats a good extra pay check for me. For the most part military leave is federal mandate but some of the finer details can vary by company. I would suggest talking to HR at the last minute because it opens up that can of worms. Although you cant be fired once you mention military leave. Well at least you cant be fired in response to the inquiry. If you suck at your Job that's a different story.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Obviously you would not be happy about it, but the Navy is not to blame for you needing appendix surgery and OCS date CX. Your Surgeon has "cleared you" (probably for normal activity), but OCS is far from normal. The medical 'deecision makers' above your surgeon, have determined that you may need more healing time to ensure you're not exposed to the rigorous physical activity too soon. They haven't PDQ'd you, so relax.:)

The problems with your job & apartment are a PIA, but it's neither your fault, nor the Navy, so no use getting down over it. Once you're into the program and flying, this may be recalled as just a small bump in the long road!;)

Think of the horror if halfway through giving your DI his 50, your belly split and your gizzards hit the deck!:eek:
BzB

Que3n

pilot
Federal law requires that the corporation hold your position or at least an equal position given that they aren't out of business or can't afford to bring you back. Each company will vary on the details like pay gap and PTO. My company pays 18 days of full pay per calendar year plus any accrued vacation time. Also, if for some reason you do return within the given time they have to honor the time you were gone towards any vesting arrangements on company match 401k, profit sharing, etc.

@Mozart I am in the same boat as you, company allows these benefits for 5 years, but a certain program many of us are here for will go well beyond that... so you may have to tread a fine line as far as disclosing certain time commitments etc. I did go ahead and contact my HR because I had questions about some of the details and I just kept the time commitment conversation very vague, basically "I don't know how long I'll be gone yet"

tdogsmith

Dangle Meistro
@Mozart @Teejc88 Thanks for the info. I haven't contacted HR for that exact reason as I didn't know how much to disclose, so being vague about the length of the commitment is a good idea. Thankfully the company I work for is a big federal/defense contractor so I think they'll be a little more understanding than most about giving me military leave. Although I've only worked there for a month now so I haven't accrued much of vacation days or retirement benefits...