• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

National OPO Blog

brogdawg32

Obviously I want my FINSEL, but this purgatory has been much easier to handle than just not knowing since December if the Navy would want me or not. Knowing they want you and just having to wait for a class date....much more bearable. Enjoy the holiday and be safe everyone.

LET73

Got it
00847fb8cab4564c262a8d2461362e3a81e74d04c74209e229c8c490c2548618.jpg
Me either, but OCS doesn't mean anything once you're done, except for the part where you get a commission. Class rank basically determines what you do during your time as a candio, and it's based on academics, PT, military bearing, etc. It's not important.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Me either, but OCS doesn't mean anything once you're done, except for the part where you get a commission.
Strongly disagree.;)
It's not important.
One thing that few seem to be aware of, is that if you have a good class (most classes ARE), one that learns to work together as a team, and where the stronger reach out and help the weaker... a bond will form culminating often in life-long friendships.:D

We communicate often by e-mail, and occasionally phone, with 10 of my NAVCAD Preflight (our version of OCS) buddies, some 58 years after meeting in Indoc Batt. I've found this also to be true of classmates from the USNA, and enlisted Boot Camp to a lesser degree. It seems to be that a strong bond forms between strangers who work closely together as a team, endure and overcome, through a very tough and 'seemingly' long stressful situation!:)

IndocBatt NASP, newly shorn BzB, NAVCAD Class 44-56, center bottom - 1956
IndocBatt - 1956.jpg

BzB

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
...a bond will form culminating often in life-long friendships.
And you never know when one of your AOCS classmates (from more than 25 years ago) will show up for the jump seat.

On the right in the pic below is "Stroker Ace" (that's what we called him in AOCS) when he showed up for the jump seat a few years ago.

Good times!

:cool:

Last edited:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And you never know when one of your AOCS classmates (from more than 25 years ago) will show up for the jump seat.

On the right in the pic below is "Stroker Ace" (that's what we called him in AOCS) when he showed up for the jump seat a few years ago.

Good times!

Too bad Loni didn't show up with him.

LET73

Strongly disagree.;)

One thing that few seem to be aware of, is that if you have a good class (most classes ARE), one that learns to work together as a team, and where the stronger reach out and help the weaker... a bond will form culminating often in life-long friendships.:D

We communicate often by e-mail, and occasionally phone, with 10 of my NAVCAD Preflight (our version of OCS) buddies, some 58 years after meeting in Indoc Batt. I've found this also to be true of classmates from the USNA, and enlisted Boot Camp to a lesser degree. It seems to be that a strong bond forms between strangers who work closely together as a team, endure and overcome, through a very tough and 'seemingly' long stressful situation!:)
All true. I was talking about class rank at OCS, and its impact (or lack thereof) on the rest of your Navy career. But yes, in the sense you're talking about, OCS definitely "matters."

44magnum

All true. I was talking about class rank at OCS, and its impact (or lack thereof) on the rest of your Navy career. But yes, in the sense you're talking about, OCS definitely "matters."
From what I've read on here, class rank is/has been used in picking orders (at least for SWOs). In that sense, it could be very important to one's career. I think a sailor's first command sets the attitude for the rest of his or her career. The command's climate will also likely determine whether he or she will stay in or get out.

LET73

From what I've read on here, class rank is/has been used in picking orders (at least for SWOs). In that sense, it could be very important to one's career. I think a sailor's first command sets the attitude for the rest of his or her career. The command's climate will also likely determine whether he or she will stay in or get out.
Yes and no. The top-ranked SWO could pick orders that sound great and end up being terrible, so while class rank influences a SWO's career, you don't know how. Class rank is no guarantee that you'll get wonderful orders and go on to have a successful career. And for everyone else who gets orders out of their next training command, OCS is even less relevant in that regard. Someone who graduates at or near the top of the class is probably the kind of person who will work hard and do well in other places, but that guy will do well because he's smart and works hard, not because he was Candidate Captain at OCS.

Mozart

I know OPO will update us as soon as he can, just wondering if anyone had any new news about FinSel.letters being mailed out.

Surf

pilot

Good times!

The mad dog is one of my favorite planes, so many quirky features in the cockpit. Got to love the mirror system for the compass...

unclelou

@National OPO
Recruiter said he was going to highly recommend me for SNA or for x application.
Is that something recruiters always do?
And does that hold up in the process for selection?

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
The mad dog is one of my favorite planes, so many quirky features in the cockpit. Got to love the mirror system for the compass...
Ha!

It's so freaking quirky!

It's the quirkmeister!

It's the quirk-o-matic!

When I went through initial training on the Mad Dog back in 2006 following my 5 year Delta furlough...I thought the double mirror system regarding the whiskey compass was a big fat JOKE! Ha! No big fat JOKE! It's REAL! Oh, WOW man!

Also, go kick some booty at OCS in August! Do it up!

Last edited:

Surf

pilot
Ha!

It's so freaking quirky!

It's the quirkmeister!

It's the quirk-o-matic!

When I went through initial training on the Mad Dog back in 2006 following my 5 year Delta furlough...I thought the double mirror system regarding the whiskey compass was a big fat JOKE! Ha! No big fat JOKE! It's REAL! Oh, WOW man!

:confused:
When I younger, pre-2001, I was able to sit in the F/O's chair after a flight and I remember him telling me about all the funny stuff. He explained the whiskey compass as "They finished building it then realized it was an airplane and needed a magnetic compass!"