• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NASIS Application Question

j.fLo

All,

I'm working on getting my submission ready for the December 2013 board, and I just started up the NASIS application. Under employers, it says to list all previous, then asks for an address and phone number. As with my recommendations, I'm comfortable giving past employment, but I work for a fairly large Fortune 500 company now in an at-will state, and if they even smell that I could be applying for anything else, I'll be out the door same-day. What are my options here, because I can give them employment verification, but I can't get them in contact with anyone at my location. Can I just give them the work verification number?

If anyone else has handled this type of issue, I'd love to know how you worked it out.

exNavyOffRec

This is for a security clearance, failure to list is falsifying info.

However, until the NRD submits your final fingerprint cards to get your investigation open no action will be taken.

j.fLo

Does that mean I will have been guaranteed a position by the time they would call? I plan to not list my current employer as a reference in my application (, but if I know for sure I am going to OCS it's not as big a deal. For the NASIS issue, I can list my current employer, but I'm a little apprehensive about it. For my OCS application I can provide work verification, but nothing beyond that. I understand the "risk is worth the reward" mentality, but I don't want to be out of work until OCS or out of work and end up not getting selected, especially in this climate.

exNavyOffRec

NRC understands about the current employer and that is why you don't have to have a reference for the current one, but, it has to be listed on the SF86, the investigation is started prior to getting a FS letter.

On another note, if your employer is the way you say it is, then you should really look for another job anyway.

j.fLo

NRC understands about the current employer and that is why you don't have to have a reference for the current one, but, it has to be listed on the SF86, the investigation is started prior to getting a FS letter.

On another note, if your employer is the way you say it is, then you should really look for another job anyway.

My employer isn't that bad, but applying to become an officer in the Navy is tantamount to searching for another job. I can guarantee you if they knew I was interviewing for another job with a competitor in the same industry, I would be out the door today. It's less a "don't care about our employees" thing and more a "protect our intellectual property" thing, but I can't predict how they would react to the news that I am considering leaving.

I filled in the info on the SF86, what comes of it will come. Luckily there is a decent market for people in my current position, and while I would hate to burn the bridges I've built over the past couple years here, this job won't stop me from pursuing a career as an officer.

Thank you very much for your insight, NavyOffRec.

Renegade One

None
All, yadda yadda yadda...I work for a fairly large Fortune 500 company now in an at-will state, and if they even smell that I could be applying for anything else, I'll be out the door same-day.
...if your employer is the way you say it is, then you should really look for another job anyway.

Look, here's the deal. Do what you truly want to do. If applying for commissioned military service is a "deal breaker" with your current company, then I whole-heartedly agree with NavyOffRec's comment. There is no "easy" answer for you.

Gut-check and decision time…there will be more.

P.S.: There are no "guarantees". Anywhere in life…except at Sears, I guess.

j.fLo

Look, here's the deal. Do what you truly want to do. If applying for commissioned military service is a "deal breaker" with your current company, then I whole-heartedly agree with NavyOffRec's comment. There is no "easy" answer for you.

Gut-check and decision time…there will be more.

P.S.: There are no "guarantees". Anywhere in life…except at Sears, I guess.

I can just leave my current employer off my list of references, but I did include them on the SF86 (clearance paperwork wont go through until after selection from the sounds of it anyway). Once I get selected, losing my job will be what it will be. I'll miss the people and the income (I'll likely find an interim job somewhere closer to home), but the opportunity to serve has been something I have been hoping to get all my life, and I'm certainly not going to let this minor issue stop me from pursuing what will likely be a more rewarding career path.

Thanks for weighing in, and thanks for being fairly blunt, I think I needed it to solidify that this issue is minor either way. Hell, I'm 22, even if i got fired and didn't get selected, there will be another job down the line.

KNSnowy

Hey guys,

This is a pretty granular question about NASIS - any 2 cents greatly appreciated!

In the Personal Reference section, I'm instructed to provide 3 people as references but the system allows me to add more than 3. In fact, it specifically makes me mark "No" to a Yes/No question of "Do you have an additional person who knows you well to list?" It doesn't say "At at least 3 people," though, it just says this:

"Provide three people who know you well and who preferably live in the U.S. They should be friends, peers, colleagues, college roommates, associates, etc., who are collectively aware of your activities outside of your workplace, school, or neighborhood, and whose combined association with you covers at least the last seven (7) years. Do not list your spouse, former spouse(s), other relatives, or anyone listed elsewhere on this form."

So...I have 3. I can list more than 3. But that might just annoy the investigator and water down my references :confused: I know this is kind of a dumb thing to sweat - it's just that my 3 refs are already spread across 3 cities I've lived in and 2 different colleges over 7 years, so I thought beefing up with more than 3 might be good too.

Blah?

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I wouldn't sweat it too much, if they want extra references, they'll probably let you know at the interview, where you'll go over everything in the application. I think they include the extra spaces in case you need more than three people to cover the past 7 years, so if you can do it with three, you should be fine.

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
Keep in mind that during the interviews with your references they will likely ask if they know anyone else in the area with whom they could speak about you. All of my references were asked for other references.

KNSnowy

Serious troubleshooting question that my OR and I can't figure out, guys:

Has anyone else experienced a NASIS record (yours or someone else's) going straight to an Error Message when you click "View My SF 86" to print it?

We've been trying to print the forms all morning and evening with the same error message. My OR says he's tested the problem with other recruits without an issue, so it's only happening to my record.

Here's the caveat:

I have 1 error in the NASIS that I can't clear up. My spouse (separated) has U.K. citizenship. In his spouse section under "Marital Record," the website will not save his citizenship documentation type. He has an Alien Registration number which is Axxx-xxx-xxx in digits. No matter how I enter this (leaving out the hyphens, leaving off the A, etc.), NASIS just deletes the info when I hit Save and says I must enter the information. I've tried selecting "Other documentation" or "None" too and just leaving a note in the Comments fields, but that doesn't save either.

My OR hasn't had an experience where a recruit has an error in their records that won't go away, so he doesn't know if that usually affects viewing & printing the SF.

Has anybody had this happen, or know someone it's happened to? Alternately, does anybody know anyone with a foreign spouse that might remember filling out NASIS?

As always, thanks!

exNavyOffRec

Serious troubleshooting question that my OR and I can't figure out, guys:

Has anyone else experienced a NASIS record (yours or someone else's) going straight to an Error Message when you click "View My SF 86" to print it?

We've been trying to print the forms all morning and evening with the same error message. My OR says he's tested the problem with other recruits without an issue, so it's only happening to my record.

Here's the caveat:

I have 1 error in the NASIS that I can't clear up. My spouse (separated) has U.K. citizenship. In his spouse section under "Marital Record," the website will not save his citizenship documentation type. He has an Alien Registration number which is Axxx-xxx-xxx in digits. No matter how I enter this (leaving out the hyphens, leaving off the A, etc.), NASIS just deletes the info when I hit Save and says I must enter the information. I've tried selecting "Other documentation" or "None" too and just leaving a note in the Comments fields, but that doesn't save either.

My OR hasn't had an experience where a recruit has an error in their records that won't go away, so he doesn't know if that usually affects viewing & printing the SF.

Has anybody had this happen, or know someone it's happened to? Alternately, does anybody know anyone with a foreign spouse that might remember filling out NASIS?

As always, thanks!

Your OR may need to get help from the processor on this.

KNSnowy

If I can get the all-clear from him to go see the processor at HQ tomorrow, I will. I think my OR sent a troubleshooting email, I don't know who to.

Still trying to find a way around the form, deleting and redrafting different parts, etc.

headinclouds

If I can get the all-clear from him to go see the processor at HQ tomorrow, I will. I think my OR sent a troubleshooting email, I don't know who to.

Still trying to find a way around the form, deleting and redrafting different parts, etc.

Just thinking of troubleshooting ideas, have you tried completing the form in a different browser? I know I was having issues when I was filling mine out, so I kept switching between Firefox and IE and eventually it worked.