• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NASA S-3B retiring

Notanaviator

Contributor
If it is going to be the Viking Warrior, it needs fearsome weapons. I haven't kept up with the newest and mostest awesome weapons so you guys tell me. If it is going to support the Corps it needs some good air to mud shit, a heavy weapon for littoral facilities like the old SLAM-ER, the latest ASUW weapon, a jamming pod to free up F-35s from non-kinteic attack, oh, oh, oh, how about we just drop the APG-81 into the Warrior Viking? Then you can remove the ESM pods from the wing tips and hang an AA missile there. Off course it may as well have a refueling capability, though I think I'd reject the full on USAF refueling boom. You don't want this kick ass USMC asset assigned to support USAF refueling requirements. I'd like to see the refueling capability internalized like they did with the old KA-6. There is plenty of room in the aft fuselage. That keeps both wing pylons free for whoop-ass.

Love it. Flying ZombieBradley.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Never heard what an S-3 sounds like before. Man, that is unique.
They made a really unique sound, each engine made a low "whoop" sounds every time it spooled up from idle (about 9 seconds in):

and it always seemed to come out sounding whoop-whoop, since it's practically impossible to synch those two engines perfectly. For decades this beautiful noise graced the Q at North Island, which was often under the pattern, Cecil field, and of course the bird farm/big gray floating prison.

It's a weird acoustic thing going on in the fan ducts. The only other airplane I've heard make the same sound is the Airbus A220/Bombardier C-series, when they're in front of you at the hold short line and they pull forward and when they're line up and wait and they get their takeoff clearance. Variations of the TF34/CF34 (S-3's engines) are on the A-10, pretty much every regional jet in the U.S. market, and several business jets, but none of them seem to make the sound, it's something peculiar to the installation on the S-3.

The S-3 engines also made the usual symphony of turbofan sounds—the roar from the core exhaust, the buzzsaw of the fan blades, the shriek of the compressor blades—but the whooping sound was something that took that symphony from good to great, like the tympani drums in Strauss' "Sunrise" (2001 theme).

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Loved living under the downwind at NAS Jax in 2004-2006, heard that thing all the time (when there weren’t sirens and fights, because Savannah Oaks was the ghetto)…

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The S-3 engines also made the usual symphony of turbofan sounds—the roar from the core exhaust, the buzzsaw of the fan blades, the shriek of the compressor blades—but the whooping sound was something that took that symphony from good to great, like the tympani drums in Strauss' "Sunrise" (2001 theme).
??
???

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Interesting that he landed on 9L, I guess to make the final taxi more majestic into the museum ramp. Meanwhile you can hear everyone holding short at 27R, watching their Hobbes click up.