• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NASA S-3B retiring

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
When I worked at Atlantic in Cleveland I fueled that aircraft many times. Always liked seeing it fly - shame to see it retired.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
You guys just don't get it. You can't kill the War Hoover. It is a zombie. I predict, before the end of the year, a War Zone article reporting a S-3 comeback.
Does War Zone/The Drive/T&P ever have a guest writer? Might be a good collaborative project for April 1st of next year, collaboration mainly on the "let's brainstorm really zany ideas" phase.

How about a re-winged S-3 with multistage slats, blown flaps, etc., re-engined with those big ass geared turbofans from the C-series/A220*, launched from an LHA flight deck (because deck rolls are the coolest thing in all of naval aviation), datalinking targets to USMC MLRS trucks... headline could be about how the 'Corps fields new ASW capability to answer COCOM requirements.

tenor.gif

* Why that particular engine? Because it makes the requisite "whoop" sound every time they spool up from idle. And everybody knows how important that sound is because it scares the submarines.

Last edited:

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does War Zone/The Drive/T&P ever have a guest writer? Might be a good collaborative project for April 1st of next year, collaboration mainly on the "let's brainstorm really zany ideas" phase.

How about a re-winged S-3 with multistage slats, blown flaps, etc., re-engined with those big ass geared turbofans from the C-series/A220*, launched from an LHA flight deck (because deck rolls are the coolest thing in all of naval aviation), datalinking targets to USMC MLRS trucks... headline could be about how the 'Corps fields new ASW capability to answer COCOM requirements.

tenor.gif

* Why that particular engine? Because it makes the requisite "whoop" sound every time they spool up from idle. And everybody knows how important that sound is because it scares the submarines.
Love the idea. We have the program, test, and engineering talent here to make it sound really good. But I predict a June 30th submission due to over runs from changing requirements.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
You guys just don't get it. You can't kill the War Hoover. It is a zombie. I predict, before the end of the year, a War Zone article reporting a S-3 comeback.

tenor.gif

Standby, going to go write that article now. Should I suggest we add a refueling boom as well?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Although...if you call it the "Viking Warrior" they might buy a whole bunch!
If it is going to be the Viking Warrior, it needs fearsome weapons. I haven't kept up with the newest and mostest awesome weapons so you guys tell me. If it is going to support the Corps it needs some good air to mud shit, a heavy weapon for littoral facilities like the old SLAM-ER, the latest ASUW weapon, a jamming pod to free up F-35s from non-kinteic attack, oh, oh, oh, how about we just drop the APG-81 into the Warrior Viking? Then you can remove the ESM pods from the wing tips and hang an AA missile there. Off course it may as well have a refueling capability, though I think I'd reject the full on USAF refueling boom. You don't want this kick ass USMC asset assigned to support USAF refueling requirements. I'd like to see the refueling capability internalized like they did with the old KA-6. There is plenty of room in the aft fuselage. That keeps both wing pylons free for whoop-ass.