• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAMI Whammied

StJP4Us

FeNO is high in patients with COVID (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8471694/). Using that test as a marker for asthma in the setting of active or recent COVID infection seems ill-advised, in my opinion.

V/R

FeNO is high in patients with COVID (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8471694/). Using that test as a marker for asthma in the setting of active or recent COVID infection seems ill-advised, in my opinion.
Too bad you aren't the head flight surgeon at NAMI.

exNavyOffRec

BUMED should be for accession waivers, while NAMI is aviation specific and more restrictive. @exNavyOffRec can probably expand on that. That said, an initial denial is not the end of the world. I had a waiver denial a couple years (decades) ago and just re-applied for the waiver after whatever time period they told me. I would work toward that, vice a congressional inquiry were I in your situation. (That is only if I’m understanding you correctly.)
They only do accessions, the PQ letters they issue will say "defers to NAMI for aviation" or "defers to undersea warfare for xxx"

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
They only do accessions, the PQ letters they issue will say "defers to NAMI for aviation" or "defers to undersea warfare for xxx"

But administratively, they're still the final authority. NAMI can't disqualify someone, only make the recommendation. It doesn't matter if it's an applicant or a designated officer. I know that doesn't change the end result, but it's important for the OP to understand the process if he wants to push the congressional route (which seems like a reasonable path at this point).

I went through a similar trial, albeit not for asthma, as a pre-API 1395. I was fortunate to have a command that went to bat for me and made a bunch of phone calls pointing out some of the inconsistencies of the process. Without an oak leaf or a bird on a collar to help out, a well-written request for a congressional seems legitimate.

StJP4Us

So I was able to get in contact with my congressman's and senator's office and their Washington D.C. offices are now willing to talk to me and hear my case. Is this a legitimate path forward or am I just wasting my time? I've been told congressional inquiries only work for people who donate $100k+ to their campaign funds which is very discouraging to hear.

UInavy

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

taxi1

pilot
So I was able to get in contact with my congressman's and senator's office and their Washington D.C. offices are now willing to talk to me and hear my case. Is this a legitimate path forward or am I just wasting my time? I've been told congressional inquiries only work for people who donate $100k+ to their campaign funds which is very discouraging to hear.
Not a waste of time. The key is to show the Navy is not complying with its own rules. You aren’t asking for a favor, just a fair shake. The story is not complicated, tell it clearly.

exNavyOffRec

I have been at several commands where we had a congressional inquiry and so I would say the donor thing is not accurate, most were BS inquiries with no merit. It probably really just depends on the congressman and if they even care to get involved.

StJP4Us

Not sure about the donor thing. Whatever you do, have your paperwork tight. Whether you appeal to dodmerb or go the investigation route, no one is going to want to do the research for you. This website looked like a good primer on the dodmerb process and should provide a good template for you to use if you go any other route. http://m.dodmerbconsultants.com/?url=http://www.dodmerbconsultants.com/our-services/waiver-request&utm_referrer=#2925
Thanks for linking that. Figured having all of my ducks in a row before presenting my case because you're right, no one cares about my situation and won't lift a finger for me. Do you have any experience with this website and service?

StJP4Us

Not a waste of time. The key is to show the Navy is not complying with its own rules. You aren’t asking for a favor, just a fair shake. The story is not complicated, tell it clearly.
Thanks for that, makes me feel a little bit more sane considering these past few weeks.

UInavy

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for linking that. Figured having all of my ducks in a row before presenting my case because you're right, no one cares about my situation and won't lift a finger for me. Do you have any experience with this website and service?
No, I looked them up to find you some help. I’m not saying no one cares and no one will lift a finger for you. I’m saying you need to work as much as possible to help yourself. People are much more willing to go to bat for someone that has their case organized and has shown personal investment in preparing to defend/make their case.

StJP4Us

I have been at several commands where we had a congressional inquiry and so I would say the donor thing is not accurate, most were BS inquiries with no merit. It probably really just depends on the congressman and if they even care to get involved.
I know you don't have a crystal ball but do you have a bearing on what kind of congressionals were viewed as legitimate?

StJP4Us

No, I looked them up to find you some help. I’m not saying no one cares and no one will lift a finger for you. I’m saying you need to work as much as possible to help yourself. People are much more willing to go to bat for someone that has their case organized and has shown personal investment in preparing to defend/make their case.
Well thank you for that. I really appreciate it

exNavyOffRec

I know you don't have a crystal ball but do you have a bearing on what kind of congressionals were viewed as legitimate?
The only one that comes to mind as being legit is when a kid complained to his parents about his bonus not being paid, he had re-enlisted but someone messed up the paperwork that was submitted, after 6 or so months of nothing happening the guy's wife told his parents what was going on, and they contacted their congressman and shit rolled down hill fast resulting in the PSC's upward mobility halted.

Most I saw where when some sailor complains to their parents about being stuck on the ship, long working hours and being singled out but fails to mention he was behind in quals, or had ended up in trouble.

In recruiting it was that some kid going enlisted was promised a certain rate but was pressured to take something he didn't want, often they would cave and the kid would get what he wanted.

More recently a friend of mine had a son trying to join the Army, 6 months of being strung along by either them or MEPS was not making them happy and it was really just a minor surgery that needed to be reviewed. I didn't ask him directly but word is he told the congressman he knows what was going on (they have known each other for many years) and the congressman called the CO of the local Army recruiting to see if he could look into it rather than go through the trouble of an official congressional inquiry, problem was solved.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I've been told congressional inquiries only work for people who donate $100k+ to their campaign funds which is very discouraging to hear.

If you're not a crony, and it's not something seriously egregious, a big thing the office will look at whether you voted. That often will push you ahead of someone who is "complaining" and didn't vote. From there, the staffers will handle whatever the issue is and raise it to whatever level is needed.

Some of the congressionals I've seen that have yielded action (which is different than results) have been rants with not a lot of evidence but a lot of complaining, but it still got pushed down the chain for a CO to act on (even if there wasn't any action to actually act on). As UINavy has said, make sure you have a well-documented and well-written complaint to submit. Timebomb even gave you a good thing to research with a level that's elevated and how it backs up your claim.

Good luck! Things like this make earning the wings down the road that much sweeter. Trust me.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
There's no charge for requesting Congressional support. On the other end, what better way to get your vote than trying to help you out?

Working in a job that deals with Congressional inquiries (100% unrelated to NAMI but related to other Navy items), they usually consist of the following:

"Sending on behalf of my constituent _________, can you please inquire about ________."

The responsible office usually has 10 days to review and provide a response back, normally in the form of a written/signed letter.

I would say... if the member does have ties to the Rep/Senator (donations, family connections, etc.), the Congressional letters might be a bit more "aggressive" and/or the Rep/Senator might be more involved.

But with that said, I 100% discourage donating or doing any sort of effort trying to *support* a Rep/Senator hoping to get more support.