• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAMI Whammied

StJP4Us

So I just got NAMI whammied due to childhood asthma. Extremely disappointed and honestly just sad. I discovered I had covid during the flight physical and have medical professionals backing this up because my wife had a positive covid test soon after I got back from the physical. They say this is why I failed. Is there any recourse here? Or is it a "shouldn't have gotten covid"?

UInavy

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
So I just got NAMI whammied due to childhood asthma. Extremely disappointed and honestly just sad. I discovered I had covid during the flight physical and have medical professionals backing this up because my wife had a positive covid test soon after I got back from the physical. They say this is why I failed. Is there any recourse here? Or is it a "shouldn't have gotten covid"?
Do you have a history of childhood asthma? If so, did you submit the waiver requirements here? https://www.med.navy.mil/Portals/62/Documents/NMFSC/NMOTC/NAMI/ARWG/Waiver Guide/15_Respiratory_210811.pdf?ver=Qey_QPlI3NbSziVujiiPPw==

If you had childhood asthma, covid has nothing to do with your disqualification.

StJP4Us

Do you have a history of childhood asthma? If so, did you submit the waiver requirements here? https://www.med.navy.mil/Portals/62/Documents/NMFSC/NMOTC/NAMI/ARWG/Waiver Guide/15_Respiratory_210811.pdf?ver=Qey_QPlI3NbSziVujiiPPw==

If you had childhood asthma, covid has nothing to do with your disqualification.
Yes I submitted everything. Had normal PFT and methacholine within the year. Never failed any of those tests in my life. Then contracted covid which was pretty nasty to me. Felt like an upper respiratory infection and it definitely messed with my breathing tests at the NAMI consult. I thought that this would be considered for a re-test but I have been flat out denied with a hard no.

UInavy

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Need a bit of clarification- was the dq down at nami, or with meps? Was the dq for the childhood asthma? If it was, they may have reviewed your records and not granted the waiver. Rejection of an accession waiver would very likely not be done on the spot due to covid, but only after consideration of all the waiver paperwork.

StJP4Us

DQ at NAMI and for asthma because I failed the PFT. I've never failed that test before and had normal ones for the past 4 years. And I didn't know I had Covid at the time but was only confirmed when I got back home from NAMI. They have all of my records of normal PFTs and MCTs but don't care and they don't care about the Covid revelation either.

UInavy

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good deal that you’re close enough to NAMI in Pcola to maybe give it another go. Did you have a waiver denied? By PFT, do you mean Physical Fitness Test? If you failed that, didn’t feel/disclose feeling sick prior (should be required disclosure prior to participating), and had a disqualifying condition, I’m not sure that they owe you anything else. You just failed the standard. In the military, there aren’t a lot of ‘oh by the way, this is why I failed’ opportunities after the fact. Best of luck in trying again.

StJP4Us

Yes pulmonary function test. One would just think that having a sickness or upper respiratory infection and taking a breathing test do not go hand in hand and would be a reasonable thing to ask for a re-test. But I guess not.

UInavy

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You told them that you had covid during the test and they denied a re-test?

StJP4Us

You told them that you had covid during the test and they denied a re-test?
Yes. Every flight doc there that interceded on my behalf was just met with swift "hard no's". No consideration, even with all of my previous documentation. Even took another set of lung function tests after getting over Covid, a doctors letter saying I had Covid, but to no avail.

FloridaDad

I really hope you get this worked out man! I guess the rest of us need to pay heed and make sure to disclose ANY kind of respiratory infection of any kind if we're about to take a test like that. Try and get it delayed or at least have it known there was an issue before hand in case of a fail. I really hope someone up the chain can look at what's going on with you and say, "wait a minute, retest that guy!" because that sounds like you got hit by some bureaucratic nonsense if they won't retest after COVID. Did you have a waiver for the childhood asthma?

Mos

None
It's been a while since I did my PFT during OCS for my asthma waiver, but I would think there should have been an intake prior to the test that asks if you've been experiencing any respiratory illnesses recently and the test should not have been done without at least a discussion with a physician.

Moreover, the Aeromedical Reference states in the Respiratory section: "When referring patients with remitted childhood asthma for pulmonary testing, avoid testing in the setting of a recent (within two weeks) respiratory infection to minimize confusion and ensure reliable results are obtained." (https://www.med.navy.mil/Navy-Medic...itute/Aeromedical-Reference-and-Waiver-Guide/)

StJP4Us

I really hope you get this worked out man! I guess the rest of us need to pay heed and make sure to disclose ANY kind of respiratory infection of any kind if we're about to take a test like that. Try and get it delayed or at least have it known there was an issue before hand in case of a fail. I really hope someone up the chain can look at what's going on with you and say, "wait a minute, retest that guy!" because that sounds like you got hit by some bureaucratic nonsense if they won't retest after COVID. Did you have a waiver for the childhood asthma?
Yes, I had a surgeon general waiver for it after getting out of MEPS. Nevermind the fact I asked the folks at NAMI multiple times if they had all of my paperwork and surgeon general waiver. "Yup." Lo and behold when I get there they don't have any of it and I scramble to get it to them after I fail the test and they don't care at all. One of the flight docs I was working with contacted them and he got the "hard no" and even said they were being quite rude to him about it. I really don't understand what is going on but I'm going to start contacting some senators and congressman.