• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Nami Wammy

Status
Not open for further replies.

TANGOZULU7

I Have Heard Much Of This Infamous Nami Wammy. I Was Wondering If All The Horror Stories I Hear Are True. I Passed My Commissioing Flight Physical With Ease. The Only Thing Remotely Concerning Was That I Had A Slight Astigmatism. I Am Just Worried That I Will Get Down To Pensacola, And They Will Bust Me For Something Stupid. If Anyone Can Shed Some Light On What The Nami Wammy Is All About, Please Do So. Because From What I Hear Many Aviators Walk In And Few Walk Out.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Many wannabe aviators walk in, and they all walk out. Whether they're staying in the pipeline is the issue.

For the most part, the physical is fair. However, if at any point you feel you're being rushed through or not getting a fair evaluation, bring it up to a flight surgeon. There are a lot of young enlisted in there, and for they generally do a good job. A few, however, may be in a hurry to get to lunch. Call them out on it.

Rotorhead

Its thorough, and for the most part fair. If you are hiding something, it will be found at some point. Maybe not at the NAMI whammy but at your next physical during flight school. I had a student who was 3 weeks from winging in the Helo syllabus when they finally caught something on his flight physical. He was NPQ'd. In his case, he didnt know about the condition. But countless other Marine students have tried, and failed, to hide conditions that would NPQ them. If you can test 20/20, youre good to go. For anyone else who may read this thread......if you know you have a condition that will NPQ you, don't waste your time, along with valuable career progression time as a 2nd and 1st LT by trying to slip one past NAMI. Eventually it will surface and you'll be shown the door. Then you most likely (depending on how much time you wasted/how long you successfully hid it) wont be promoted to captain and certainly not Major.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
They're going to NAMI Whammy you for capitalizing every first letter of all the words you wrote. ;)

Warlord

SNA Hopeful
What are some things people have been caught for? What if it's something you don't know about, but doesn't affect you at all? Then what? Are you stuck in the Navy without being able to go to your designator?

Rotorhead

In most cases, yes. In the Marine Corps the SNAs sign a contract that basically states that if they fail out, DOR, or are found NPQ for flight, they must satisfy their commitment in another MOS. And the amount of time you owe depends on your method of removal from the flight program. If you DOR or academically fail during PI (formerly known as API) or during a stage written exam; then all the time you spent in Pcola doesnt count towards your commitment. If you are found NPQd or you flight fail, in maost cases your time counts towards your initial commitment.

Bottom line (for your question), if you don't know of anything wrong with you, dont sweat it. If you know you have something potentially fatal to your aviation career, you'd better ask about it now. Before you end up as a ground supply officer in 29 Palms (not that theres anything wrong with that) after getting the boot.

Chubby

Are they redesignating SNA's to SNFO's if they fail the eye test now, or showing them the door with the whole manpower reduction?

spr

I asked my recruiter that same question and he said that since I only applied for SNA than I would probably be shown the door or they "might" give me a choice.

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
I don't have 20/20, i think 20/30 or 20/35, and I qualified for SNA with this eyesight. What is the worst my eyesight can be before I get the NAMI whammy? Waivers?

Kycntryboy

pilot
My OSO told me that if don't pass API or I would assume don't pass NAMI, that I would be discharged because in his words "there is already to many officers in the Navy.

arkansastrumpet

Corpsman

I talked to the medical corpsman down there on the phone a month or so ago and asked this question.

I was told that if for some reason you don't pass the physical, you will be offered the opportunity to redesignate to another community. It might NOT be the community of your choosing, but you will be offered.

When I mentioned all the people be shown the door, he said that is because all they want to do is flight, and when they find out they can't do it, they choose not to do anything.

Again, he said you will be offered another job, just probably not the one of your choosing.

So hope that helps.

spr

Why all the fuss? If you passed your flight physical during the application process, what would keep you from passing it again. I've been told that nothing is different. Let me know if ya'll have any insight that I don't. Thanks.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
THAT is why it is called the NAMI Whammie. You pass your initial and then get nailed when you come down for your incoming.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
spr said:
Why all the fuss? If you passed your flight physical during the application process, what would keep you from passing it again. I've been told that nothing is different. Let me know if ya'll have any insight that I don't. Thanks.

Many people including myself have never had a flight physical. The only exam I got was at MEPS, and it wasn't very thorough.

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
I agree with Ben, I went through the same MEPS, and they took 5 minutes to look at my eyes. I am borderline to begin with. I am soo screwed!

Status
Not open for further replies.