• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My Latest Purchase (or just pictures of your current guns)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It seems to be becoming a requirement that every AR has to have at least some Magpul shit on it these days. Not that I’m not equally guilty . . .

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Thanks ChuckMK23, it looks more ergonomic than the classic A2 grip.

The Magpul pistol grip is far more ergonomic. I personally can't stand the A2 grip anymore.

It seems to be becoming a requirement that every AR has to have at least some Magpul shit on it these days. Not that I’m not equally guilty . . .

Nothing wrong with Magpul, it's good stuff.

danpass

Glock G29 gen 4.

For those curious about such things; I took my 9mm Glock 19 through a water survival training course:

Glock 19 poolwater/saltwater/poolwater test.

I recently put together a survival vest (for general aviation flying) built on the SV-2B vest platform, which includes a section that allows for carry of a firearm (far left).

44051778061_9b3a67a7d2_b.jpg

In that section I put my Glock 19 (carried unchambered) and a spare mag. Thirty rounds total of Speer Gold Dot 124+P.
The interior of the section is lined with loop material so I used the ITS Holster Insert, which includes a webbing strap to hold that spare mag.

Sorta-disclaimer: I put this gun into the vest after three 3-Gun matches and had NOT cleaned or greased it [BD]

30183914668_7ebed97940_b.jpg

As an overall test I jumped in the pool with the fully loaded vest. Rather easy to swim around. I can do the survival float, I can even float on my back, without inflating anything.

In Panama City Beach, I took a water survival training class, designed primarily for pilots. The first day, in the morning, was class session, with the afternoon and evening as hands-on practice in the Gulf of Mexico, ie saltwater.

The second day was pool time in a chair dunker.

So all told the Glock, the two mags and the ammo, saw about two hours of pool water the first time, about 4 hours of saltwater the second time and 1 hour of pool water the third time.

For all these situations I INTENTIONALLY left the Glock alone, to basically air dry on its own.

I then let it sit in the vest for a week afterward.

OBSERVATIONS:

In this first pic take note of the ejector. The orange originally went all the way to the tip. This is the only part I touched and the orange rubbed right off. So my suspicion of this being only surface oxidation seems to hold up, despite the horrendous looking nature of the photos

43494729885_b56154e354_c.jpg

43494730495_6856a75622_c.jpg

29465407867_05f2c11f30_b.jpg

29465407477_6f00cc318c_b.jpg

44402804961_4161c1c577_b.jpg

44402796061_2ac9390bb2_b.jpg

FUNCTION TEST:

The slide hand cycled with barely noticeable extra effort, though it wasn’t smooth, but neither did it necessarily hang up on itself.

The trigger was slightly rougher and heavier.

But otherwise everything seemed to function fine.

RANGE TEST:

I took it out to the range last night. The first round chambered fine lol.

44402799321_70472bd388_b.jpg

The whole mag fired fine, every round went bang; no delays, no hang-fires. No funny prep done to the ammo, completely factory.

Five yards. This gun has always shot low but the group size shows I’m a bit more rusty than the gun

43685346294_bbf7c61b12_b.jpg

Second mag, same observations (this time aiming at the top of the green)

43685344444_b76651eaf8_b.jpg

After these two mags I loaded the mags with Fiocchi 115 range ammo and popped off 50 rounds 3-Gun style. Glock and mags functioned fine.

CONCLUSION:

It seems that finding oneself in the water and subsequently onto land won’t present a problem to the firearm in the short term, so I’m happy with that. I've heard stories from responders (hurricane and such) that their stainless 45 had a dusting of rust the same day.

I’m going to detail strip the Glock and the mags and use an M16 toothbrush to clean everything off. I suspect it will all literally brush off.

CLEANING UPDATE

It was 50/50/50 whether the surface oxidation was blown off, the oxidation covered over with burnt powder, or the oxidation wiped off when I started scrubbing.

The only persistent area was the guide rod and spring assembly. That area mostly wiped off with the plastic M16 brush. I'll have to try a bit further with a copper brush.

Otherwise a normal field strip seemed to be enough to restore super-smooth function to the slide and trigger

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
That's a nicer SV-2/LPU combo that what we had - I did not realized it had been improved at some point - gone is the elastic cotton webbing on the rear replaced with bungie - good idea. Looks like a next gen LPU - with higher quality materials. I was not ever a fan - bulky for what it did and too much mandatory gear - I always wanted a low profile setup that would not inhibit water egress and keep me afloat with basic signaling and IFAK. Never got that.

danpass

That's a nicer SV-2/LPU combo that what we had - I did not realized it had been improved at some point - gone is the elastic cotton webbing on the rear replaced with bungie - good idea. Looks like a next gen LPU - with higher quality materials. I was not ever a fan - bulky for what it did and too much mandatory gear - I always wanted a low profile setup that would not inhibit water egress and keep me afloat with basic signaling and IFAK. Never got that.
It had the elastic webbing. I removed it, added the folded-over webbing loops and the shockcord.

It did seem odd that the design was a fixed size, something that couldn't be adjusted on the spot (for body armor/exposure suit/whatever) when the prior main vest design, SRU-21 / 24, had an adjustable lacing system in the back.

The LPU is the E model that I picked up new from the manuf.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The Magpul pistol grip is far more ergonomic. I personally can't stand the A2 grip anymore.

It was never something that I found comfortable. My first AR started with a MOE. Once I tried my first MIAD, I was a convert. The MOE is nice, but the MIAD fits my hand better with the larger backstrap.

I am frustrated with my AimPoint - as my 54 year old eyes render the dot now as a smudge of three dots! I understand EOTech HWS's are immune from this.

BTW the President of EO Tech is a Hornet dude (and USNA grad and a watch guy with cool vintage Speedy) - good guy - although he has not come through with free review units for AW'ers - I will ping him on that.

Didn't want to create a new thread for this - but I suspect a EOTech is in my purchase queue for my carbine.

@Gatordev is the AimPoint still something you are sticking with?

My answer is complicated. First of all, I have two EXPS-3-0 with two G33 magnifiers. I find them to work very well together and I don't have any significant issue with the dot smearing, magnified or non-magnified. The Eotech is a little fuzzy, but I suspect that's just the "laser" reticle versus an LED.

At this point, with my astigmatism, I find an unmagnified T-1 or PRO (or ML-3) to still be very usable and can use it to easily hit a B/C target to at least 200y/m (limit of my regular range). But once a magnifier goes behind one, the dot smears a lot. More of an issue when zeroing than when shooting for hits, but it's still distracting.

I do have a T-2 with a magnifier (Exhibit A) that I got because of the smear. It's pretty much perfect. I don't know what Aimpoint did, but they fixed the smear issue and the dot remains nice and round when magnified. Naturally, they're significantly more than a T-1, so I only have one. #fixedincomelife.

Exhibit A (not a new rifle, but newly painted):

45553675942_42cca17ba5_b.jpg

And @ChuckMK23, to help for comparison's sake... My astigmatism isn't a lot, but I also am far-sided, so the two fight one another. I need readers, but I also need glasses to see "better" at distance. To add to the problem, my eyes are still trying to compensate, so the stronger the prescription, the more starbursts I get with point light sources, so I'm still balancing having a slightly reduced prescription while still being able to read my computer screen. Naturally, the Navy informed that LASIK can now fix this...........3 weeks before I retired. <sigh>

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That rifle has made an appearance here before, just not all tarted up. I procured all the parts except the rail while I was still in San Diego and then bought the rail once I moved back to FL and built it up. It's been my go-to competition gun and carbine class gun (though I've only taken one since building it). The URX 3 is not my favorite rail, but it works. The rifle itself is just pure magic.

Duc'-guy25

pilot
Nice timing on the Eotech and G33 magnifier review. After a few beers last night I decided I wanted an new LWRC ICDI556. Guess that sale was final and now looking for optics. The EXPS3-4 with the G33 is on the top of the list I think. Looked at the Romeo/Juliet combo from sig but the eye relief drives me insane. May just run my aim point pro on it for a bit though.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nothing wrong with Magpul, it's good stuff.
It is good gear. It still mildly amuses me that there's probably at least one piece of Magpul product at at least one bench at virtually every shooting range in the country from opening to closing time.