• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My Latest Purchase (or just pictures of your current guns)

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Looking forward to shooting with our base SF folks in a few weeks. Got this in the "Inbox" and promptly got signed up!

Good morning,

Police week is almost upon us and as this year's shooting competition organizer here at Wright Patterson's 88th Combat Arms section I am reaching out for sign up requests. If you would like to enter the competition please shoot me an email and I will get you added to the roster. This will be a first come first serve basis until all slots are filled. Here is a little rundown of the competition and what to expect. This year we will be offering 100 total slots for competitors. This will be a two gun competition, meaning you will fire both the M4 rifle and M9 pistol with a total score from both. This is not an Excellence in Competition match. In place of badges there will be a handful of awards to include Top Shot and Most likely to shoot a hostage. You must be flexible on time as I cannot guarantee a certain shoot time. The event will take place on May 16th and is open to Department of the Air Force Military/Civilian personnel.

I would like to make it clear that this is a competition shoot, meaning Combat Arms personnel are prohibited from giving any instruction, tips, tricks or advice on the handling or shooting of the weapon systems. They may only uphold safety standards and rules of the competition. You must be knowledgeable and fully capable of operating the weapons yourself. This includes but not limited to clearing, loading, immediate actions, remedial actions, unloading and the basic fundamentals of shooting. For Rifle you will also be required to do a self-zero of the M68 red dot sight with no aid or instruction.

As for the course of fire itself. Shooters will fire a total of 30 rounds with the M9 and 40 rounds with the M4. As it stands, the first heat of shooting will start at 0800 on May 16th. There will be heats of 20 shooters every hour. We will break for lunch around noon and resume around 1300 until finished. Guns must be cleaned as soon as firing is completed. Combat Arms will provide the weapons and ammunition. No personal weapons or ammo may be used. I will send an email to all competitors once signups are closed to notify you of your heat time and further instructions. There will be a safety brief and course of fire run through before you head out to the range to shoot. Please email me with any questions or concerns. Look forward to seeing you sign up and compete.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
At least they let you zero your rifle first. That's the biggest thing I'd be worried about. It sounds like it would be fun, but it would also be a challenge running their gear and not yours. Trying to draw a pistol and not finding the ALS thumb release and then having to figure out where the (what I'm assuming would be needed) index finger release of a Serpa is would add a second onto my time, at least. And then there's dealing with a pistol safety...how uncivilized.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
At least they let you zero your rifle first. That's the biggest thing I'd be worried about. It sounds like it would be fun, but it would also be a challenge running their gear and not yours. Trying to draw a pistol and not finding the ALS thumb release and then having to figure out where the (what I'm assuming would be needed) index finger release of a Serpa would add a second onto my time, at least. And then there's dealing with a pistol safety...how uncivilized.
I got issued a Serpa when I went to NIACT and never thought anything of it other than "hmm, you can release the pistol with your finger aligned and straight on the frame; that's convenient." No one in my whole class, even the goobers who were scared of the icky scary guns, had any issue. It wasn't until later on the internet I realized how many people think they kill small children and lay waste to quaint villages. Serpas are apparently to some gun people as so-called "assault weapons" are to soccer moms.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Beyond the internet noise, the bigger issue for Serpas is that they jam very easily when debris gets in the mechanism.

Regardless, I just find the ALS gets around all of that and provides endless configurations (pistol model, RDS, light, rig attachment, etc).

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Seems to be in general issue now as well - base SF folks all have M17 in either the GI kit that was part of the M17 contract or ALS. I think Serpa is no longer a thing for anything not an M9. (GI surplus Serpas for M9 are readily available on ebay)

1682520843762.png

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
M17 >> M9. I’m so glad DOD finally dropped that Goddamned boat anchor.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For the most part. Our NSC security still carries the M9- they hate it.
Everyone who doesn't have giant ape-like gorilla hands hates it. As well as us fools who expect a pistol safety that doesn't work backwards. My M17 is hands-down (see what I did there?) my favorite pistol. I like my 1911, but still.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My kid just qualed with the M18 for the first time. He loved it and will buy one once he gets back to CONUS.
SIG really got the ergonomics right. I have smaller hands, and this is the first full-size pistol other than maybe a Glock that's really fit me well. I used to have a P226 but sold it and got a P229.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
SIG really got the ergonomics right. I have smaller hands, and this is the first full-size pistol other than maybe a Glock that's really fit me well. I used to have a P226 but sold it and got a P229.
I had a P220 years ago that I wish I had back. It was too big for my hand though. M18 fits my hand but I haven't shot one yet. I'm a Glock 19 type so I may never end up with that M18.