• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My Latest Purchase (or just pictures of your current guns)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So I went to the range today, and realized I had Christmas ammo. ?

Hornady ELD Match on the left, and my own creation on the right with 168gr Sierra Tipped Matchkings on top of 42 grains of IMR4064 in Lapua brass. The latter made a nice ragged hole over about 35 rounds or so . . . this reloading thing is fun!

CAMike

None
Contributor
So I went to the range today, and realized I had Christmas ammo. ?

Hornady ELD Match on the left, and my own creation on the right with 168gr Sierra Tipped Matchkings on top of 42 grains of IMR4064 in Lapua brass. The latter made a nice ragged hole over about 35 rounds or so . . . this reloading thing is fun!

View attachment 28576

Yes it is! Interesting choice in powder. It's in the same burn rate ball park as Varget, H4895 BLC-2 etc.. Just wait until you discover neck turning, donut removal and some of the finer points of tweaking. I bet you'll end up buying a SAKO TRG-22 or you end up building your own precision rifle. That's when your knowledges and attention to detail begins to shine. Enjoy!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes it is! Interesting choice in powder. It's in the same burn rate ball park as Varget, H4895 BLC-2 etc.. Just wait until you discover neck turning, donut removal and some of the finer points of tweaking. I bet you'll end up buying a SAKO TRG-22 or you end up building your own precision rifle. That's when your knowledges and attention to detail begins to shine. Enjoy!
I bought it for my M1, and decided to try some .308 with it because I read somewhere it's what they used in FGMM, which was what I'd always shot before the 2020 ammo supply insanity. If anything, the Hornadys were the ones who seemed to be having a bit of a rough time. No cratered primers or anything, but it looked like the ejector was pounding heck out of the case head.

Then I looked at the box and saw it was 2840fps at the muzzle . . . the Sierra manual doesn't even list loads that high.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
This was my first entry into the Glock world in 2011 (albeit not in this configuration). It's at over 9K rounds. I'm thinking the main spring is about done. Last week, I decided to clean it, since it had been at least 1K rounds since the last cleaning. Today it didn't even hiccup at the monthly 2-gun competition. I'd love to take the spring to 10K, but I'm thinking I should probably order a new one either way. Regardless, it only misses when the shooter makes it.

50408214033_ea24150afd_h.jpg

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have never liked Glocks from a personal shooting perspective, but you can't argue with the record. They are reliable as hell. Gotta give'm that.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I have never liked Glocks from a personal shooting perspective, but you can't argue with the record. They are reliable as hell. Gotta give'm that.
There is so much awesome innovation happening in the pistol world these days, Its pretty amazing. As a fairly active USPSA guy, I've watched CZ, Walther, Sig absolutely explode in what people bring to matches - and truly custom level guns at not-custom prices. Shot a Sig X5 and was super impressed.

FBI seems to be the leaders on things that go bang - the fact that they went all in on Glock gen 5 9mm tells me that for duty use, Glock 17/19 is the gold standard.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I'm a 1911 guy at heart. It was my TO weapon at times when I was in. Somehow I always qualified expert with one of those rattletraps. That said I long ago came to believe that a G19 may be the best tool weapon ever produced.

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
Same. If I could only buy one, it would be the Glock 19. Super reliable and versatile, with an aftermarket that eclipses all other handguns. My friend’s gun store sells 10 Glocks for every Sig, HK, Ruger, CZ, or S&W that leaves the shop.

GroundPounder

My agency is transitioning away from Glocks in .40 to Sig Sauer in 9mm. I have carried a Kimber 1911 for years, but will try the Sig for a few months to get some insight on their product. I am interested to see how it compares to what I am familiar with.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
My agency is transitioning away from Glocks in .40 to Sig Sauer in 9mm. I have carried a Kimber 1911 for years, but will try the Sig for a few months to get some insight on their product. I am interested to see how it compares to what I am familiar with.

Sacrilegious, I know, but:
SigP229 -> 1911 -> Glock. At least for me.

I like all three, but the sig is just as reliable as the glock and has better ergonomics and pointability for me. I really like mine.

I ditched all my .40, too, with a barrel swap on the glock. I enjoy shooting 45 and 9 more than .40. I shoot them more often, which leads to more proficiency, which leads to more enjoyment, which leads to shooting the caliber more. Repeat ad nauseum and I eventually just simplified the collection. Didn't like the snappiness of the .40 in the glock.

ChuckMK23

pilot
All our SF folks on base have received their shiny new M17's

I built my system around the M&P in 9mm - mags, holsters, ammo, accessories. From competition to carry, to response/defense, that's my system. It works but I get distracted by all the shiny new toys available...

Tgonzo29

i absolutely love my HK45CT V7 Light LEM trigger. Best jack-of-all trades .45 IMO. Dead nuts reliable and doesn't require a lot of upkeep.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
i absolutely love my HK45CT V7 Light LEM trigger. Best jack-of-all trades .45 IMO. Dead nuts reliable and doesn't require a lot of upkeep.
I have a couple thousand round through a .40 with the LEM trigger. What a strange arrangement. The actual press is nicer and the break is crisper than a striker fired trigger. But I never really liked it. Way too much slack to take up. Love my H&K Compact .40 almost as much as my Sigs though.

Tgonzo29

I have a couple thousand round through a .40 with the LEM trigger. What a strange arrangement. The actual press is nicer and the break is crisper than a striker fired trigger. But I never really liked it. Way too much slack to take up. Love my H&K Compact .40 almost as much as my Sigs though.

It definitely took me a few hundred rounds to get used to, but i really enjoy how it operates. Very simple. From what I've read, it is designed so that the slack on the trigger is your safety. To fire it, pull right through the slack until you reach the wall. At that point, its a very light pull. Its been a great CCW for me so far. I have heard that the gun really thrives with a can attached though. Some love it, others hate it.

Only problem is, I made the "mistake" of holding a Mk23 today. Now i must have one!

ChuckMK23

pilot
It definitely took me a few hundred rounds to get used to, but i really enjoy how it operates. Very simple. From what I've read, it is designed so that the slack on the trigger is your safety. To fire it, pull right through the slack until you reach the wall. At that point, its a very light pull. Its been a great CCW for me so far. I have heard that the gun really thrives with a can attached though. Some love it, others hate it.

Only problem is, I made the "mistake" of holding a Mk23 today. Now i must have one!