• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My FNAEB Experience (or How I Let My Personal Issues Get In The Way)

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
The plan right now is to submit a lateral transition package to the June 2012 board for Information Warfare. Until then, I'll be flying a desk at the Pentagon.

Beyond that, I'll keep submitting packages until I get picked up for something. Figure after the second try, I'll check the box for "Consideration by all communities" if it hasn't worked out by then.

P3 F0

None
Interesting to hear the fallout of an actual board. I'm sorry to hear the outcome, as I was figuring as I read it that things had worked out. I've known people that desperately needed a FNAEB, but never actually heard the specifics of a real one. A couple questions--I'm assuming the board floats a recommendation to the Admiral? If so, did you know what that recommendation was before you flew down to have your face-to-face? Did the Admiral go with that recommendation?

Also, did anyone ever recommend a HFB for you before talking about a FNAEB? Not sure if that's even warranted for a training syllabus timeline problem, but it seems like a logical interim step. From your description, I'm thinking there was some bad juju between you and your skipper, or other come-to-jesus meetings that happened leading up to the skipper's decision. How much leeway does a skipper have to extend that qual timeline?

P3 F0

None
Oh, kind of like how it took my squadron's guys who jumped out of 601 MONTHS to fly again.. Nevermind we were on cruise, it was a more or less obvious mechanical malfunction, and we were short THREE pilots on top of the two we were short when we left. (One died in mishap, One FNAEB, and I got sick enough to be MEDEVAC'd off the IKE to be put in a hospital in Bahrain)
Was there ever anything about this in Approach, or somewhere else that I can read up on it? I'm too lazy to try a search on AW right now, but if you've talked about it here, I'll find it.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Interesting to hear the fallout of an actual board. I'm sorry to hear the outcome, as I was figuring as I read it that things had worked out. I've known people that desperately needed a FNAEB, but never actually heard the specifics of a real one. A couple questions--I'm assuming the board floats a recommendation to the Admiral? If so, did you know what that recommendation was before you flew down to have your face-to-face? Did the Admiral go with that recommendation?

That's for sure. I'm all about continuing to train until people get it, but some don't, and instead of dealing with them, or spending any real time identifying their problems and trying to correct them, we shuffle them to the bench for a bit. Then, some time later, the ball hits his slot on the roulette wheel, and he goes to a new unit. Only this time, he's more senior, so doesn't have to "prove" himself anymore, and does a ground job without sucking, so he continues to advance. I've known of pilots who were heinously bad, but whose COs didn't have the sack to directly address the problem by any means other than selective scheduling.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
A couple questions--I'm assuming the board floats a recommendation to the Admiral? If so, did you know what that recommendation was before you flew down to have your face-to-face? Did the Admiral go with that recommendation?

Also, did anyone ever recommend a HFB for you before talking about a FNAEB? Not sure if that's even warranted for a training syllabus timeline problem, but it seems like a logical interim step. From your description, I'm thinking there was some bad juju between you and your skipper, or other come-to-jesus meetings that happened leading up to the skipper's decision. How much leeway does a skipper have to extend that qual timeline?

- the board tells you what their recommendation is when they're done. Unless any of the endorsers along the way have any serious problems with it - that's what will be recommended to the admiral.

- only the stupidest of skippers would convene a FNEAB without prior HFB(s). I think Bubba will agree that his skipper is neither stupid or unfair.?.

- when someone's problems are limited to struggling in the cockpit it allows the skipper (and the "process") to do some good things for the individual. In Bubba's case, because he's a good dude and will be a benefit to any number of other communities, the FNAEB process was the best possible avenue. It allows him to redesignate and continue his naval career (promote). The alternative for a skipper is to simply withhold quals or the proverbial "shot in the head" with a fitrep. The later, if done with a large enough "gun" will end your career. This happens to d-bags and other folks who should be selling pencils.

We want Bubba in the Navy.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
- only the stupidest of skippers would convene a FNEAB without prior HFB(s).

Assuming the FNAEB is for a "human factor" like failing to obtain a qual. Most FNAEBs that I've heard of are due to a moment of sheer stupidity or dumb-luck resulting in a mishap.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
P3 FO,

RLSO basically said exactly what my answer to your questions would have been.

There was ZERO bad blood between my skipper and I. All of the appropriate actions were taken prior to the FNAEB, including the required counseling and HFB's.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
That's for sure. I'm all about continuing to train until people get it, but some don't, and instead of dealing with them, or spending any real time identifying their problems and trying to correct them, we shuffle them to the bench for a bit. Then, some time later, the ball hits his slot on the roulette wheel, and he goes to a new unit. Only this time, he's more senior, so doesn't have to "prove" himself anymore, and does a ground job without sucking, so he continues to advance. I've known of pilots who were heinously bad, but whose COs didn't have the sack to directly address the problem by any means other than selective scheduling.

Sadly, I've seen this more than once. It's a serious problem because the CO still tries to write them up like they are a rockstar because "we wouldn't want to destroy their career." Now you have a real piece of $hit continuing to advance (and yes some even make CO), or kill someone because when the opportunity was there the person with the ability didn't have the testicular fortitude to do what was necessary.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Assuming the FNAEB is for a "human factor" like failing to obtain a qual. Most FNAEBs that I've heard of are due to a moment of sheer stupidity or dumb-luck resulting in a mishap.

Well sure, if it was a mishap, that's another story - particularly if mandated by an Alpha. The OP was about performance patterns though. I don't think a good skipper would convene a FNAEB for performance issues without having all the lead up administrative steps taken care of.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Now for the thread resurrection. And yeah, I've been a bit dormant lately.

So the lateral transfer thing worked out on the second try, and I'm no longer a 1300... Picked up for 1820 (IP) on the June '13 boards. Negotiating orders now, so we'll see what happens.

Cheers,
Bubba

ltedge46

Lost in the machine
None
Sadly, I've seen this more than once. It's a serious problem because the CO still tries to write them up like they are a rockstar because "we wouldn't want to destroy their career." Now you have a real piece of $hit continuing to advance (and yes some even make CO), or kill someone because when the opportunity was there the person with the ability didn't have the testicular fortitude to do what was necessary.

I think most people with more than a couple of years in have seen at least one. Worst one I saw was a DH who shouldn't have ever been signing for an A/C or running a dept. A safety survey was conducted and his name came up in every group as the single biggest safety concern for the squadron. Never took an Ops or Mo billet but left as an MC and a #2.

Best of luck to you Bubba, I'm sure you'll be a credit to the IP community and represent us well.

ltedge46

Lost in the machine
None
Seen or been subjected to?

Sorry, not referring to a FNAEB board, but a previous poster's discussion about an individual who probably should have been brought to a FNAEB board, but was passed along and allowed to keep flying, in at least a minimal capacity. I would guess most folks have served with someone like that before.