• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My 60th b-day is in a few days…please gift me more FLY NAVY bumper stickers…

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Is the covert cop-car thing only legal in some places? I've noticed that it's much more common in the Eastern portions of the country than other places.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Police Explorers usually don't have roof rails/racks, handy to pick out which is which on the road. It isn't 100%, I've seen at least one 'civilian' Explorer without roof rails and a handful of police ones that had them but it seems to hold true about 95% of the time.

maxresdefault.jpg

Good job…you are obviously a graduate [maybe even an honors graduate] of copcar101. :D

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good job…you are obviously a graduate [maybe even an honors graduate] of copcar101. :D

There are soooo many cop/LE cars in the DC area it breaks up the commute a little bit, as long as they don't pull me over. My favorite are the PG County cop cars, some of them are easily over 20 years old with peeling paint and driving like maniacs while 'gangsta leaning'.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Veteran/Campaign plates are key. The city of Cincinnati has an active "no citation" officer discretion policy for moving violations involving veteran plated cars. This policy has saved my bacon on more than a few occasions!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Veteran/Campaign plates are key. The city of Cincinnati has an active "no citation" officer discretion policy for moving violations involving veteran plated cars. This policy has saved my bacon on more than a few occasions!

As my local county police officer cousin said, "Virginia State Troopers would ticket their own mothers".

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
As my local county police officer cousin said, "Virginia State Troopers would ticket their own mothers".

I'll never forget the AOM shortly after arriving at Oceana where the state trooper was bragging about ending an O-5's career, in front of a couple of hundred military officers. VA cops are a special breed, but after seeing how horrible people drive in Hampton Roads, it's not hard to understand why.

Walt6541

My current takehome as a shift commander is an upfitted 2015 civilian explorer. Before this car I was issued a 2015 Taurus Interceptor, excuse me, Ford Police Interceptor Sedan (RIP Car 22, I'll never forgive what that scatterbrained woman did to you.). Having the amenities of the XLT trim level in my car is nice. I'm getting promoted off the streets into an admin role and I'm getting an unmarked 2020 Fusion Energi Titanium PHEV. I cannot wait to not have a marked unit sitting in my driveway anymore and AC'd seats are life changing.

Since the discontinuing of sedans by Ford they really ratcheted down on the numbers of FPIUs too. Ordering and receiving ones and twos has been nigh on impossible recently, with Ford filling large contracts first. According to our upfitter he's seeing a lot more small departments ordering civilian Explorers and getting them upfitted, which causes its own set of maintenance headaches but at least you get cars on the street quicker. Explains why you see more cruisers with roof rack rails too, it's apparently a huge pain in the ass to remove them. Our two newest cars are 2023 Explorers and they still have their rails. Our 2021s do not and the bean counters decided the labor costs to remove them weren't worth it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Do you how many of your new and nearly new vehicles are paid for by local taxes vs. paid for (or at least off-set) by the Feds? It's a past time of mine at work to notice relatively new vehicles at a scene despite it being a very rural and/or poor county, so I was curious about how much help smaller municipalities get.

One very late night I was chatting with a Deputy SGT in a county that isn't very big but has I-10 going right through it. He said for a while they were able to off-set all the drug work they were doing by keeping the impounded vehicles but a policy change (I think it was a state policy) prevented them from doing that anymore and now they don't really do the interdiction mission much anymore.

Walt6541

I'm honestly not sure. I just started getting into fleet management this year and I'm very much still learning the ins and outs. I know there are federal funds available, but a lot of that rests on variable factors like task force work, accreditation, type of enforcement, political considerations etc. I'll learn more as I get settled into my new role.

Policing is incredibly regionalized and funding sources, policy, law and other factors differ from state to state, city to city and even agency to agency in many cases. Even individuals have a huge impact on getting more or less money from different sources. We had an amazing grant writer and DRMO dude at a previous agency and we got tons of cool stuff purely from his wizardry. Like, 30ft SAFE boat for the harbor unit obtained through DRMO and updated using grant money.

SemperFiFamilialLoyalty

In God We Trust, All Others We Monitor
Leave it to OHIO to be that way still. When I grew up there the only things out of the state were 1) Military everything and 2) Agriculture everything. Good to see some things are still around :)

SemperFiFamilialLoyalty

In God We Trust, All Others We Monitor
That sounds logical. Back in 2004-2006 when I was on patrol with the Cincinnati Police, we were limited to 100 mph during pursuit…and of course, we were required to stop at all red lights/stop signs before clearing an intersection and continuing. It sounds logical that a “no pursuit” policy would currently be in effect due to all the liability.

For the record, I did zero vehicle pursuits back in the day…it honestly sounded like a really, really bad idea at the time…especially since we were instructed during the Cincinnati Police Academy that the biggest cop killer was traffic accidents.
Honestly surprised they didn't have you guys go through the farm's tactical driving course. About as fun as being in a HELO with a Vietnam pilot; or so I'm told. :)

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Honestly surprised they didn't have you guys go through the farm's tactical driving course. About as fun as being in a HELO with a Vietnam pilot; or so I'm told. :)
We did do the tactical [pursuit] driving course as part of our syllabus when we were Cincinnati Police Recruits during the Cincinnati Police Academy. The local Hamilton County Sheriff’s Office provided the instructors, vehicles, and the big ass skid pad at their HQ. We also utilized a driving simulator at the Cincinnati Police Academy which was part of our syllabus.