• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MV-22 in Afghanistan

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Are you talking about the flight hours or the PMC, etc numbers from the NAVFLIRs?

I think he's talking about pax/cargo numbers. If he isn't, well shit ... but it did make me think of how many of our co-pilots (and ACs, for that matter) leave out how many pax (or might just ballpark it at best) and don't put the cargo weights in there either. The emphasis is on hrs and codes. New guys just don't know what they don't know. And if the co-pilots are doin MSHARP in the MV-22 community (like they are w/ Hercs for the most part) then I wouldn't be surprised if this plays a significant factor.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I recently read an anti-V-22 article, and one of its focal points was that the V-22 squadron ISO OIF only averaged something like 3.6 pax and 800 lbs cargo per sortie. To the innocent bystander, these sound like dismal numbers that justify its uselessness. To the quasi-educated bystander that knows a little bit about the way squadrons are tasked, this sounds like VIP movements (which was one of the squadron's primary missions at the time). Just another example of the media preying on the general ignorance of its audience.

Hardly fair to start a discussion on "something like" instead of referencing the source. This has only resulted in undue speculation. How about identifyig the article?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Are you talking about the flight hours or the PMC, etc numbers from the NAVFLIRs?

I'm talking about that page at the end where you're supposed to enter pax pri 1, 2, 3, etc, and pounds of cargo. Most of the time, that's a swag, and a good part of the time, as Herc said, it's forgotten.

That's probably where the data comes from, and it's a pretty shitty baseline. But, it goes to show that documentation is EVERYTHING! Even MAFs--lots of time maintenance will not properly document things like oil consumption, or tell you not to MAF something because it's always been broken, there aren't parts, and it's not getting fixed anyways.

Guess what? When the 20-pound heads at the program offices look at the maintenance data, they make funding and priority decisions based on it. Why devote money to improve a POS system (pick one on your aircraft) that everyone knows always breaks? Apparently it works great, because hardly any MAFs are ever written on it. Same kind of thing.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I'm talking about that page at the end where you're supposed to enter pax pri 1, 2, 3, etc, and pounds of cargo. Most of the time, that's a swag, and a good part of the time, as Herc said, it's forgotten.

That's what I figured, I just wanted to clarify. I don't think I've ever filled in that portion of the NAVFLIR. All that info went straight to SHARP. All anyone cared about on NAVFLIRs was engine time and that the time matched the SHARP time, but you bring up a good point about them being used vice SHARP since they are the "official record of the flight".

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Of course, no one will give credit to the Osprey for being in "real" combat until it comes back with battle damage, whereupon they'll start calling it a POS for getting hit.

Good job VMM-261! Hitting the ground running! Bastards! I spent 6 months on a MEU and all I got was a lousy glow belt!

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
Hardly fair to start a discussion on "something like" instead of referencing the source. This has only resulted in undue speculation. How about identifyig the article?

I reference the ripped out magazine page that is hanging on the wall of the HMM ready room in Al Asad. Sorry dude, unable to meet the request, unless a PF can help me out.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I reference the ripped out magazine page that is hanging on the wall of the HMM ready room in Al Asad. Sorry dude, unable to meet the request, unless a PF can help me out.

Heyjoe rates higher than "dude" on this website.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Of course, no one will give credit to the Osprey for being in "real" combat until it comes back with battle damage, whereupon they'll start calling it a POS for getting hit.

Good job VMM-261! Hitting the ground running! Bastards! I spent 6 months on a MEU and all I got was a lousy glow belt!

Agree - I've got a good buddy with 261 and the fight is most definitely on!

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator

Figures. The "phrogs phorever" crowd posting anti-V22 propaganda around the spaces. Some of these guys are like Japanese soldiers stuck on islands, thinking WWII is still going on 20 years later.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
Heyjoe rates higher than "dude" on this website.
"Dude" is the ultimate expression of endearment and comraderie between males, and is synonymous with "Most Revered and Venerable of my Brethren." Also on the list are "Broseph" and "Cochise."

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Finally, an article with some perspective. Though still not devoid of commenting on the past, a good read nonetheless.

www.delcotimes.com/articles/2009/12/14/news/doc4b25aae9cbbad418087320.txt

“You’re going to feel the massive acceleration of the aircraft.”

Hehehe... I remember watching these things do DLQs on an LHA a few years ago (touch-and-goes which included short deck runs past the island). Granted they were light (no payload) but as I watched them it struck me that they really put the get up and go into touch-and-go.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
300 knots forward with the ability to hover, how can any helo pilot worth his wings not be drooling over the capability the Osprey brings to the table.

Yes, we crashed a few, but I don't hear everyone (Red Ribbon Panel included) screeming when we crash another Harrier!

When the Red Ribbon Panel stated this is not new technology, I started looking around the flight line... nope, couldn't find anything like it!

We have the Boeing VP for the Osprey come talk to the Naval War College a couple of years ago. He said the Osprey could carry about 60-70% of what a H-53 could, it would transport about 75% of what a COD can carry so it would make a great 'tweener' capability. With the H-53 future in the Navy uncertain and the Osprey could pick up the VOD mission for the ARG in the future.

The cost per hour is way above an H-60, so you Osprey guys don't have to worry about getting tagged with the Plane Guard mission anytime soon.