• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Moving to TBS

alwysfaith

AV-8B Harrier Pilot's Wife
I read often, post less often. Posting for my Marine here- he's shy. We were both wondering if the Marines will pay for his move across the country to TBS? He's currently enlisted, but not active if that makes a difference. We were kind of thinking no, but thought someone would probably know better. Thx.

Raptor2216

I was paid when I moved and so was everyone else that moved out there with me, including those who came from the reserves.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
The Marine Corps will pay for the move...that said and being as tactful as I possibly can your Marine needs to get over being shy otherwise TBS will be very VERY hard for him...
JMHO

Taxman2A

War were declared.
You rate a "home of record" move when you go to TBS. It is a one time deal that all personnel coming on active duty get. Here's the thing- if you do not use your HOR move when you go to TBS, you get to keep it... meaning that you can move stuff from your home of record to your present duty station after TBS as well. I still have my home of record move, which is nice, because my wife and I still have stuff stashed at my parents house, which is also my HOR. If I decide that I want that stuff thats being kept at my HOR i can have TMO move it out at any time. Your HOR move will stay with you until you use it or get out.

alwysfaith

Many thanks, that brings me to this though, we're getting married in the fall although we haven't set a date yet. I picked up a job in the DC area and I am leaving this summer to start an internship there. Is it practical/plausible to leave larger things for his move, which will be in October? He isn't bringing any furniture of his own, just personal items. I only have some bedroom furniture and its going to be horrendously expensive to move my stuff myself. If he can't take it, I'd rather sell and repurchase when I get there, its probably more cost effective. Thoughts? Thanks again

Sorry about the shy comment, he's not exactly shy, I guess he just doesn't care if they pay him or not, I for one am always curious and always have questions to ask, he is not much of a questions asker.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
alwysfaith said:
Many thanks, that brings me to this though, we're getting married in the fall although we haven't set a date yet. I picked up a job in the DC area and I am leaving this summer to start an internship there. Is it practical/plausible to leave larger things for his move, which will be in October? He isn't bringing any furniture of his own, just personal items. I only have some bedroom furniture and its going to be horrendously expensive to move my stuff myself. If he can't take it, I'd rather sell and repurchase when I get there, its probably more cost effective. Thoughts? Thanks again

Sorry about the shy comment, he's not exactly shy, I guess he just doesn't care if they pay him or not, I for one am always curious and always have questions to ask, he is not much of a questions asker.

Selling and buying new when you get there is certainly an option, can get very expensive though and will likely cost more then just moving it but a lot of people like to get new stuff anyway so its really your preference. It definitely sounds like a good idea to leave the big stuff for him to bring down. When is he probably going to be starting / getting orders / moving down, if you move too far in advance then they sometimes have issues paying you.

alwysfaith

His commissioning is Sept 30th, so if he gets into the first available class I think its in the end of November. He probably won't move until at least the mid of October, I am just going over early to get to work! We probably have to look and see if we even want to use/keep any of the furniture I have, its fairly new, but maybe too girly, who knows.

Raptor2216

I can say with some certainty that the likelyhood of getting into the nov class, which is alpha co, is very low. I would say that at the earliest, he might start TBS with bravo, which picks up in late jan.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
P_ubhi18 said:
I can say with some certainty that the likelyhood of getting into the nov class, which is alpha co, is very low. I would say that at the earliest, he might start TBS with bravo, which picks up in late jan.

second that...there is about a 4 month wait for TBS so plan accordingly...

alwysfaith

Okay, I have heard of that too, so say if he moved in October, but didn't pick up until Jan, would the Marines classify that as too early and not pay for the move?

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
alwysfaith said:
Okay, I have heard of that too, so say if he moved in October, but didn't pick up until Jan, would the Marines classify that as too early and not pay for the move?

They might have issues with it...have him talk to his OSO and see if they can work something out...maybe PTAD down there or get into Mike early ...

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
alwysfaith said:
Dont be in any hurry to get over here if you dont have to ... you will get enough of the Stafford/Quantico area soon enough. Obviously jobs and housing take some priority, but trust me ... you will like home better than this place. Good luck, TBS is a big drag but it does go by fast.

TeufelHunden_05

devil_dog said:
Dont be in any hurry to get over here if you dont have to ...

Mike Co. is not a place you want to be for very long if you can avoid it. Just wait till you have orders in hand and move then. The Marine Corps will pay for it for sure then. That doesn't mean wait to start looking for a place to live though. If he's not married he will not be allowed to live out in town though.