• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Moving to TBS w/Spouse

ooh9hokie

I will have completed my first year of nursing school (3 year accelerated program for 2nd bachelor degree) when my fiance completes USMC OCS. We plan to get married between OCS and TBS. I have had friends who have gone through OCS and TBS with their husbands tell me that it is a lot better to move to Quantico to be with their spouse. I have also heard for the men that it is a lot nice to have their wives living out in town with them. With all of this being said, I am obviously stuck between a rock and a hard place because I will have 2 years of nursing school left while my husband will be going through TBS. Thus, I'm asking for any and all suggestions.

Yes, I have looked into other schools and programs, which I will apply, but also looking for a back up plan in case I do not get accepted into a program near Quantico. I have looked at Georgetown (16 month program), George Mason (12 month program), Howard University and Marymount University (both 2 year programs). The other thing is when my husband completes TBS then I will be in the same position - needing to move and not finished with nursing school.

Any ideas?

Should I stay in our hometown (about 4-5 hours from Quantico) and finish nursing school? Should I move to Quantico area and worry about nursing school later? ... Any ideas will be much, much, MUCH appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Semper Fi!

Phew!!! That sounds like such a busy life in such a short title! Oh wait ... that is MY life! :) PLEASE HELP! Haha.

I will have completed my first year of nursing school (3 year accelerated program for 2nd bachelor degree) when my fiance completes USMC OCS. We plan to get married between OCS and TBS. I have had friends who have gone through OCS and TBS with their husbands tell me that it is a lot better to move to Quantico to be with their spouse. I have also heard for the men that it is a lot nice to have their wives living out in town with them. With all of this being said, I am obviously stuck between a rock and a hard place because I will have 2 years of nursing school left while my husband will be going through TBS. Thus, I'm asking for any and all suggestions.

Yes, I have looked into other schools and programs, which I will apply, but also looking for a back up plan in case I do not get accepted into a program near Quantico. I have looked at Georgetown (16 month program), George Mason (12 month program), Howard University and Marymount University (both 2 year programs). The other thing is when my husband completes TBS then I will be in the same position - needing to move and not finished with nursing school.

Any ideas?

Should I stay in our hometown (about 4-5 hours from Quantico) and finish nursing school? Should I move to Quantico area and worry about nursing school later? ... Any ideas will be much, much, MUCH appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Semper Fi!

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Go to nursing school at the best place for what you want. Don't get married until after he has his wings... or better yet until after the first deployment.

My $0.02. Some will agree, some won't. (I'm not bitter. Don't let the avatar fool you.)

marchbanksusmc

Get married if you want to get married. Dont wait for the right circumstances, they will never come. Spend the time apart if need be. 4-5 hours is not that bad of a drive to see him every other week. My wife and I will be in the same boat. She has a year left of nursing school(in oregon) and I head to TBS early next year. We Just got married 3 weeks ago. As for nursing schools, go where you are accepted, unless your grades are rockstar status then I dont think your really going to be having a choice. Dont delay school, now is just as good of a time as any.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I kind of goofed the merge up.

In the future, please start only one thread on a topic.

ooh9hokie

I kind of goofed the merge up.

In the future, please start only one thread on a topic.

I apologize. I was not aware of this rule. May I post something similar in Marine Corps TBS? I would just prefer to have several different takes on this and maybe some people won't necessarily be looking in "Spouses Corner", but may be looking in "Marine Corps TBS".

Thank you.

ooh9hokie

I appreciate everyone's response. My fiance is actually going into ground so there is no waiting until he has his wings. I could not find a forum to ask such questions for ground. Sorry! But, I do appreciate the responses. I'm still trying to figure things out. I'm hoping things will soon fall into place. :)

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
My 2 cents, after just getting out of a serious relationship that started before the Navy, is finish your school and do the distance. It will be harder, but if you stop and try to piecemeal a degree together, it's going to be far more difficult. And what's worse, in the meantime, while he's bouncing around initially, you might end up either not working or working a job you don't want. Both are bad juju for a relationship that's just starting.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
May I post something similar in Marine Corps TBS? I would just prefer to have several different takes on this and maybe some people won't necessarily be looking in "Spouses Corner", but may be looking in "Marine Corps TBS".

Hokie, most AWs start their browse on the "What's New" tab, which means they will see your post without selecting any particular forum. Putting it on two or more forums simply makes it redundant.;)
BzB

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Still wait for the first deployment, and go to nursing school based of what you want and where you get accepted, not where he's going to be.

My first skipper told me "A deployment will make or break a relationship, no matter where it is on the first day of the deployment. I've seen the strongest fall apart and the weakest become the most successful. It doesn't care how strong you are. Make or break" when I first checked into my squadron. My ex and I were on an up swing when I left. 2 1/2 months later, she says "I want a divorce."

My point is not "don't get married", but more so make sure you've got what you need to survive should something (God forbid) happen (for you, that means a nursing degree) and that you know you can handle the military life style... moving around (this happens alot in some training pipelines), long absences, short absences, random and unscheduled trips training and dets... I'd also suggest living together if you haven't already.

Again, I'm not saying don't get married... I'm saying don't make a hasty decision just because you may have to do distance.

Bubba out.

sanders

FYI, if you do not come up to Quantico with him, you and your husband will still be getting paid BAH. There were a few guys at TBS who lived on base because their wives lived elsewhere. In other words, the military is basically going to give him a place to live, as well as pay for your rent. But at the same time, don't go and get married just to take advantage of the system. That's part of the reason the military has such a high divorce rate...

One more thing to think about. The attrition rate at OCS is around 50% or so. Even if he is in great shape and does everything right, there is still the chance he will get injured and sent home. I don't mean to be a pessimist, it's just something to keep in mind. Good luck!

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
FYI, if you do not come up to Quantico with him, you and your husband will still be getting paid BAH. There were a few guys at TBS who lived on base because their wives lived elsewhere. In other words, the military is basically going to give him a place to live, as well as pay for your rent. But at the same time, don't go and get married just to take advantage of the system. That's part of the reason the military has such a high divorce rate...

One more thing to think about. The attrition rate at OCS is around 50% or so. Even if he is in great shape and does everything right, there is still the chance he will get injured and sent home. I don't mean to be a pessimist, it's just something to keep in mind. Good luck!

I don't know why, but for some reason I think this number is WAY off. It may be the roll rate, but I doubt it's the attrition rate . . .

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I don't know why, but for some reason I think this number is WAY off. It may be the roll rate, but I doubt it's the attrition rate . . .

In my experience in both juniors and seniors PLC, about 30% did not finish. Some of those were injuries that may have come back, but there's no way to know.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
In my experience in both juniors and seniors PLC, about 30% did not finish. Some of those were injuries that may have come back, but there's no way to know.

We had less than a 50% grad rate, but I went in the winter.