• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Motorcyles and Scooters, Oh My!

GlassBanger

IntelO
Contributor

Getting my motorcycle license and wanted to see some beautiful bikes from you all if you got ‘em.

I’m eyeing a Honda Rebel 300 to start with

Honda Rebel 300.jpg

but ultimately want to get my butt on a customized Indian Scout
Indian Scout.jpg

I also want a Honda Ruckus and Grom to play with

Honda Ruckus.jpg
Honda Grom.jpg

I’m in the DC area now, and since I don’t relish being a smear on the pavement, I’m not sure if I’ll get the bike here or wait until I relocate.

Anyway, wanted to open the channel for some more two-wheel motored enthusiasts. Let’s chat?

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
Since you’re asking:

Used/traded-in-for-hardtail 883 sportster. Punch it later when you want more juice. Leave the controls mid-mounted for riding versatility. No need to fully immerse into HOG culture with all-Harley everything. It is possible to have a HD and still be your own person.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Took a 30 year hiatus from riding…rode a Yamaha FZ750 and a Suzuki GSXR750 during active duty. I bought a Honda Monkey a year ago and really dig it since it has both on-road and off-road capabilities…

View attachment 37457

…and I dig it so much that I bought a model of it…

View attachment 37460
Haven’t you guys seen the video of @mad dog racing his Honda Monkey down taxiway India at North Island while a -60 lifts off are roars by?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
My BMW G310 GS - - while I would really enjoy something more powerful - this really is a fantastic bike for everything except 4+ hour highway touring. It does fine at 70 MPH. The aftermarket windscreen does a fine job moving air above my head. The single cylinder motor sips gas, and is smooth below 7000 RPM. I like it. It is a big framed bike with a smallish engine. Build quality is impressive and it was only $6400 out the door. Its light enough to recover from drops by myself providing I dont go down a rivine.

I have a number of SW-Motech accessories. BMW factory tail bag. All around fun.

1675227005203.png

GlassBanger

IntelO
Contributor
Don’t buy the I’m a beginner small cc bike, in six months of regular riding you’ll be wishing had the Indian.?
I have been told this, and I'm still considering it. I think my biggest worry is breaking my own heart when I inevitably put it on its side and hurt it lol. Unless I put highway bars on it I guess.

I have the FTR. It's been a great time. Doesn't really like the cold though.
I do really like this but when I sat on one, the seat height was above what's comfortable for me. I prefer to flat foot on stops and my inseam is around 28", I'm around 5'3"/5'4".

Since you’re asking:

Used/traded-in-for-hardtail 883 sportster. Punch it later when you want more juice. Leave the controls mid-mounted for riding versatility. No need to fully immerse into HOG culture with all-Harley everything. It is possible to have a HD and still be your own person.
My cousin has been trying to get me onto a HD. I did like the way the Sportster felt, but I am wary of buying one because of that aforementioned culture.

My BMW G310 GS - - while I would really enjoy something more powerful - this really is a fantastic bike for everything except 4+ hour highway touring. It does fine at 70 MPH. The aftermarket windscreen does a fine job moving air above my head. The single cylinder motor sips gas, and is smooth below 7000 RPM. I like it. It is a big framed bike with a smallish engine. Build quality is impressive and it was only $6400 out the door. Its light enough to recover from drops by myself providing I dont go down a rivine.

I have a number of SW-Motech accessories. BMW factory tail bag. All around fun.
Another beauty too tall for me. But man she's pretty.

smpl_dude

I have been told this, and I'm still considering it. I think my biggest worry is breaking my own heart when I inevitably put it on its side and hurt it lol. Unless I put highway bars on it I guess.
I know it's not always an option, and cost can be prohibitive, but I always encourage new riders to start in the dirt if they can. It's a great way to learn to control the bike, and when you fall it's not really a big deal. But if you have the opportunity, absolutely get some time in on the dirt.

GlassBanger

IntelO
Contributor
I know it's not always an option, and cost can be prohibitive, but I always encourage new riders to start in the dirt if they can. It's a great way to learn to control the bike, and when you fall it's not really a big deal. But if you have the opportunity, absolutely get some time in on the dirt.
That's a really damn good idea. I'll keep this in mind for sure. I'm still buying improved safety equipment right now; the safety course is my next step.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor

I do really like this but when I sat on one, the seat height was above what's comfortable for me. I prefer to flat foot on stops and my inseam is around 28", I'm around 5'3"/5'4".

My cousin has been trying to get me onto a HD. I did like the way the Sportster felt, but I am wary of buying one because of that aforementioned culture.

Another beauty too tall for me. But man she's pretty.
My wife is starting to get into this whole motorcycle gig…she sees how much fun @ChuckMK23 and I have been having on our fairly recently acquired motorcycles. She’s signed up for a local HD rider course in APR and I’m really psyched for her…we are empty nesters and motorcycling could be something we can do together. She’s shorter than you…she’s right at 5’0”…and fitment has been very challenging for her regarding seat height and arm reach. Of all the makes and models she’s sat on, the HD Nightster fits the best so far…but she still can’t flat foot both feet. So far, the HD brand is the most modifiable regarding fitment for her. She’ll be doing the HD rider course on a HD Street 500. She has never ridden a motorcycle…but she’s a retired airline pilot [and a quick learner] so I believe she’ll catch on pretty quick-like. I wish you well on your motorcycling adventure!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Did someone say dirt?
2016-Yamaha-YZ250F-banner-1.jpg

I rode a YZ-250F when my kids were riding smaller bikes. The youngest grew up, got a garage of his own and my bike disappeared from my hangar to his garage. Hence, the photo is not of my actual bike. Road a bit in the street when I was in college. A two stroke Kawa 400 triple. Yeeeikes! That was quick. I assembled bikes from the crate at a dealership. Great job. Turning wrenches without all the grease and grime. Then the best part, motorcycle test pilot. Road all sorts of stuff. Of course, that was the late 70s. All that tech has been superseded and would not impress you. Back then we were all told dirt bikes would never have liquid cooling, mono shock, inverted forks or hydraulic brakes. And all the thumper 4 strokes were running back of the motocross field. My YZ-250F has all those details. Could not believe an OHC single cylinder 4 stroke could turn over 8000 rpm and produce nearly 50 hp. Can't imagine what some of the bikes appearing here are like to ride.