• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Motorcycle license

BUDU

So I was interested in getting my motorcycle license and maybe buying a bike this summer...then I started wondering if there were any additional channels to go through before I could. My searching seems to have revealed that active duty personnel have to take a safety course on base, so do we have to do anything similar or at least tell our recruiter? Have any of you bought bikes since enlisting, or did you have one before?

wrecklessfool

just slackin...
I wouldn't worry too much about notifying your recruiter. When you get to a base and you decide you want to ride your bike in to work or school every day, then begin making it known. The Navy has a way of making it a hassle to get your base decals for a motorcycle. Yes, you must have an approved MSF course in addition to all the other things required for on-base allowance of a vehicle. My last command, and maybe all commands anymore required a page 13 entry in your service record with your signature stating you understand the Navy's policy on recreational vehicles. My last command also made the MSF course mandatory whether I was bringing the bike on base or not.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
So I was interested in getting my motorcycle license and maybe buying a bike this summer...then I started wondering if there were any additional channels to go through before I could. My searching seems to have revealed that active duty personnel have to take a safety course on base, so do we have to do anything similar or at least tell our recruiter? Have any of you bought bikes since enlisting, or did you have one before?

It is important to remember that being in BDCP, you are technically enlisted in the USN. I would ask, what's the worst that could happen, you have to take a safety course? If nothing else, it would lower your insurance rates. If you're under 25, I'm sure they're ridiculous anyway.

Python

pilot
Contributor
Also, if you get a sportbike you have to do the sportbike course in addition to the MSF course.

BUDU

It is important to remember that being in BDCP, you are technically enlisted in the USN. I would ask, what's the worst that could happen, you have to take a safety course? If nothing else, it would lower your insurance rates. If you're under 25, I'm sure they're ridiculous anyway.

Yeah, I'm taking a course anyway. The local community college offers a safety course that acts as a substitute for your learner's permit. My dad has his license, but as he said, "the hell if I'm going to follow you around for 30 days."

BUDU

Also, if you get a sportbike you have to do the sportbike course in addition to the MSF course.

Wasn't looking for a sportbike...I've got my eye on a CB350F or Royal Enfield right now...

So correct me if I'm wrong, but...this is a separate course offered on a base taken on top of whatever licensing course I'll be taking? Want to make sure I've got this straight.

Python

pilot
Contributor
Wasn't looking for a sportbike...I've got my eye on a CB350F or Royal Enfield right now...

So correct me if I'm wrong, but...this is a separate course offered on a base taken on top of whatever licensing course I'll be taking? Want to make sure I've got this straight.

After you get your license you have to complete the MSF (www.msf-usa.org) course. This can be done on or off base. I was saying that if you did get the sportbike you'd need to complete the MSRC (military sportbike riders course) which is only offered on base.

If you take the MSF course, most states will allow that to be sufficient to get your motorcycle endorsement on your license (as opposed to taking a course and then a "drivers test" on your bike). So if you do it that way, you'll kill two birds with one stone. Just check out the licensing rules on the DMV site for the state you'll be in.

BUDU

After you get your license you have to complete the MSF (www.msf-usa.org) course. This can be done on or off base. I was saying that if you did get the sportbike you'd need to complete the MSRC (military sportbike riders course) which is only offered on base.

If you take the MSF course, most states will allow that to be sufficient to get your motorcycle endorsement on your license (as opposed to taking a course and then a "drivers test" on your bike). So if you do it that way, you'll kill two birds with one stone. Just check out the licensing rules on the DMV site for the state you'll be in.

Huh...whaddaya know. The course I'm taking is on the list. Looks like that's it then. Not planning on a bike bigger than 500cc, so I guess that's all I have to do. Thanks muchly.

I just figured this was a case where it really was better to ask for permission than forgiveness. Didn't want to find out I didn't do _______ and get in trouble for it later.

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
For what it's worth I've bought two bikes since I swore in and while I have heard of something like having to take a required class, I have done no such thing. Just be careful, bikes are not worth a career. MSF is great, take it. Ride with people who are experienced and don't ride past your comfort. If we run into each other in Pensacola we'll go riding.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
^^^^ Unless you want to ride on base or you get in a horrendous accident, no one will ever know you didn't take the course. That said, rules are rules and you are non-compliant.

To the OP: take the MSF course, in most states you do the license test as part of the course, and you're good all around. Even get an insurance discount. Did I mention that you might actually learn something worthwhile?

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
That said, rules are rules and you are non-compliant.

Just to clarify, I did ask my recruiter about it and he wasn't sure but said he thought I might need to take an additional class (I took the MSF and advanced riding courses here at laguna seca). It seemed to me that it would be easier to clear up when I actually get to a base as right now in BDCP I have almost no knowledge or involvement of military life or standards comparatively speaking. Dont want to come across as being actively insubordinate.

BUDU

Was the additional class he said you might have to take because of a sport bike, or just to ride in general?

Yeah, I'll be taking the course in mid-July (they didn't have open slots until then). Not doing anything until then other than getting a gauge on prices and insurance rates...

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Just to clarify, I did ask my recruiter about it and he wasn't sure

Oh shoot I thought you had been commissioned already, being that it's June.

BDCP is a special case, I guess and I can't profess to know which rules apply. For active Navy (and civvies riding on base), the course (s) is/are required.