• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Motivational Statement MEGA Thread

WillH

Is there some kind of specific prompt respondents are referring to when they mention to shorten the statement? When I asked my recruiter how long it should be, he said there is no limit on length, so you can go crazy with it, or something to that effect. I was planning on about 1.5 to 2 pages and wasn't sure if that would be enough.

terry

Is there some kind of specific prompt respondents are referring to when they mention to shorten the statement? When I asked my recruiter how long it should be, he said there is no limit on length, so you can go crazy with it, or something to that effect. I was planning on about 1.5 to 2 pages and wasn't sure if that would be enough.
I've gathered from reading this thread that there are different forms, though I do not know which version is for whom. Some say "limit to visible area" and some give a word limit.

exNavyOffRec

I've gathered from reading this thread that there are different forms, though I do not know which version is for whom. Some say "limit to visible area" and some give a word limit.

There is only one form for civilians and it says "limited to visible area"

MR

Can you fine people take a minute to review my statement and give me some feedback. Much appreciated.

I joined the Air Force in 2008 with the desire to earn a degree and serve my country, but I gained so much more. After completion of Basic Military Training at Lackland Air Force Base, Texas I entered initial Air Traffic Control training at Keesler Air Force Base, Mississippi. During this time I maintained a 100% average on all course work as well as being recognized as Distinguished Graduate. I continued on-the-job training at Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas gaining full upgrade status within five months, which is 40% of the allotted time for training. After becoming an FAA certified Control Tower Operator, I continued my upgrade training and was awarded Air Traffic Control Watch Supervisor in 2013. This allowed me the privilege of overseeing an entire crew leading Air Traffic Operations for Osan Tower, Korea. I have a proven track record of exemplary performance in all facets of upgrade training in a demanding career field which has a nearly 50% washout rate and have received many accolades for my success including: Sheppard Air Force Base Top 3 Airman of the Quarter, 80th Operational Support Squadron Trainer of the Quarter, and Control Tower Non Commissioned Officer (NCO) of the Quarter.

After upgrade training I continued my education at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. It is at this point in my career where the aspiration of one day becoming a commissioned officer first entered my mind. In order to achieve this goal I knew short measures would not suffice. Deployments, short-tours, TDYs, and military training, were a constant factor in my life. Still, I relentlessly trudged forward and in 2012 I reached my first educational milestone. After completing my Associates in Air Traffic Management, I continued advancing and completed a Bachelors of Science in Aeronautics with a minor in Management, graduating with a 3.85 GPA. Additionally, I received many grants and scholarships including a Military Excellence Award, Worldwide Scholars Award, Student Success Initiative, and the Air Force Association MIG Alley Chapter Scholarship. During this time I completed Airman Leadership School being recognized as both a Distinguished Graduate and for Academic Achievement taking home two out of four awards of a 50-person class. Furthermore, I have attended several Professional Military Education Seminars to include: NCO Enhancement Seminar, Airspace Management Course, Air Force Train-the-Trainer, US AID Humanitarian Assistance Course, Air Operations Center Trainer Course, and most recently the NCO Academy. I am currently working towards a Masters of Science in Occupational Safety Management.

My father always told me it is “not all about you” and “giving back is the best gift one can receive.” I have taken this to heart in all aspect of my life. During my free time I enjoy serving not only my Airmen, but also the community. I have served through orphanages, Airman Against Drunk Driving, The Humane Society of Southern Arizona, Airman’s Attic, food banks, Christmas-in-Action, and Operation Give-a-Child-a-Christmas to name a few. From 2009 – 2012 I ran the 80th Fighter Training Wings Meals-on-Wheels program, helping to deliver thousands of meals to those in need. While in Korea I led a 32-person team, running the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. This event raised over 92 thousand dollars toward Cancer Research. There is no greater feeling than giving back, and I have gained much more than I have given.

I have had the privilege of leading at several different levels. I have led as a supervisor, crew supervisor, Unit Fitness Training Manager, Airspace Subject Matter Expert and briefer, enlisted roll calls, dorm inspections, quarterly award boards, Unit Safety Representative, Training Manager, and Information Technology Equipment Custodian. Recently, I was selected by my First Shirt to lead the Davis-Monthan Extra Duty Flight as NCOIC monitoring individuals being punished for violations under the UCMJ. I am also a council member for the Air Force Sargeants Association, First-Six Enlisted Core Counsel, and 612 Air Operations Center Booster Club. I am currently spearheading the 2015 Holiday Party for my Squadron.

In 2013, I was hand selected to take on the “special duty” of Airspace Management and Design. As an Airspace Manager I have been able to step away from the tactical level perspective, and see a bigger picture. Working at the operational level has given me a broad perspective on how the United States fights and wins wars. I have had the opportunity to work with other services at all levels of leadership, in particular the Navy. I have a great appreciation for how the Navy operates, and its ability to deliver operational power anywhere in the world. Since being an Airspace Manager I have been involved in numerous joint service and multinational exercises. I have led teams at Exercise Red Flag, Blue Flag, PANAMAX, Integrated Advance, and the Army Warfighter to name a few. In addition, I was recognized as Outstanding Performer at Exercise Red Flag – 14 and Angel Thunder – 14. Furthermore, I have been selected as NCO of the quarter four times for the Combat Plans Division.

My seven years of experience in the enlisted core has given me the chance to embrace my role as a Wingman, Warrior, but most importantly a Leader. A leader who fully understands my responsibility and role to preserve, extend, and defend the peace that I have built through my military service. I have learned that as a leader I am responsible for those in my charge. To teach, mold and pass on the rich traditions of the military, and the pride and honor that come with wearing the uniform. I learned that I have to set the example for my subordinates to follow, through how I wear the uniform, my custom and courtesies, and through my ability to take personal responsibility for everything I do. I wish to bring these ethos, responsibility, and tradition of excellence I’ve embraced in the Air Force and carry them forward to the Navy. Being a leader is more than just telling people what to do, but being able to lead them in such a way that they want to do it without being asked. It is about showing them how their part in a mission plays a role in the overall success of that mission. But it is also about building the foundations to make those around you a better leader then you were. Through my enlisted career I have seen how leadership also means embracing core values and applying those values to everything we do, and to our everyday lives. I believe that through a selection to Officer Candidate School and being commissioned in the Navy, I will have the opportunity to be that leader that not only leads, but inspires others to lead and build future leaders.

exNavyOffRec

Can you fine people take a minute to review my statement and give me some feedback. Much appreciated.

I joined the Air Force in 2008 with the desire to earn a degree and serve my country, but I gained so much more. After completion of Basic Military Training at Lackland Air Force Base, Texas I entered initial Air Traffic Control training at Keesler Air Force Base, Mississippi. During this time I maintained a 100% average on all course work as well as being recognized as Distinguished Graduate. I continued on-the-job training at Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas gaining full upgrade status within five months, which is 40% of the allotted time for training. After becoming an FAA certified Control Tower Operator, I continued my upgrade training and was awarded Air Traffic Control Watch Supervisor in 2013. This allowed me the privilege of overseeing an entire crew leading Air Traffic Operations for Osan Tower, Korea. I have a proven track record of exemplary performance in all facets of upgrade training in a demanding career field which has a nearly 50% washout rate and have received many accolades for my success including: Sheppard Air Force Base Top 3 Airman of the Quarter, 80th Operational Support Squadron Trainer of the Quarter, and Control Tower Non Commissioned Officer (NCO) of the Quarter.

After upgrade training I continued my education at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. It is at this point in my career where the aspiration of one day becoming a commissioned officer first entered my mind. In order to achieve this goal I knew short measures would not suffice. Deployments, short-tours, TDYs, and military training, were a constant factor in my life. Still, I relentlessly trudged forward and in 2012 I reached my first educational milestone. After completing my Associates in Air Traffic Management, I continued advancing and completed a Bachelors of Science in Aeronautics with a minor in Management, graduating with a 3.85 GPA. Additionally, I received many grants and scholarships including a Military Excellence Award, Worldwide Scholars Award, Student Success Initiative, and the Air Force Association MIG Alley Chapter Scholarship. During this time I completed Airman Leadership School being recognized as both a Distinguished Graduate and for Academic Achievement taking home two out of four awards of a 50-person class. Furthermore, I have attended several Professional Military Education Seminars to include: NCO Enhancement Seminar, Airspace Management Course, Air Force Train-the-Trainer, US AID Humanitarian Assistance Course, Air Operations Center Trainer Course, and most recently the NCO Academy. I am currently working towards a Masters of Science in Occupational Safety Management.

My father always told me it is “not all about you” and “giving back is the best gift one can receive.” I have taken this to heart in all aspect of my life. During my free time I enjoy serving not only my Airmen, but also the community. I have served through orphanages, Airman Against Drunk Driving, The Humane Society of Southern Arizona, Airman’s Attic, food banks, Christmas-in-Action, and Operation Give-a-Child-a-Christmas to name a few. From 2009 – 2012 I ran the 80th Fighter Training Wings Meals-on-Wheels program, helping to deliver thousands of meals to those in need. While in Korea I led a 32-person team, running the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. This event raised over 92 thousand dollars toward Cancer Research. There is no greater feeling than giving back, and I have gained much more than I have given.

I have had the privilege of leading at several different levels. I have led as a supervisor, crew supervisor, Unit Fitness Training Manager, Airspace Subject Matter Expert and briefer, enlisted roll calls, dorm inspections, quarterly award boards, Unit Safety Representative, Training Manager, and Information Technology Equipment Custodian. Recently, I was selected by my First Shirt to lead the Davis-Monthan Extra Duty Flight as NCOIC monitoring individuals being punished for violations under the UCMJ. I am also a council member for the Air Force Sargeants Association, First-Six Enlisted Core Counsel, and 612 Air Operations Center Booster Club. I am currently spearheading the 2015 Holiday Party for my Squadron.

In 2013, I was hand selected to take on the “special duty” of Airspace Management and Design. As an Airspace Manager I have been able to step away from the tactical level perspective, and see a bigger picture. Working at the operational level has given me a broad perspective on how the United States fights and wins wars. I have had the opportunity to work with other services at all levels of leadership, in particular the Navy. I have a great appreciation for how the Navy operates, and its ability to deliver operational power anywhere in the world. Since being an Airspace Manager I have been involved in numerous joint service and multinational exercises. I have led teams at Exercise Red Flag, Blue Flag, PANAMAX, Integrated Advance, and the Army Warfighter to name a few. In addition, I was recognized as Outstanding Performer at Exercise Red Flag – 14 and Angel Thunder – 14. Furthermore, I have been selected as NCO of the quarter four times for the Combat Plans Division.

My seven years of experience in the enlisted core has given me the chance to embrace my role as a Wingman, Warrior, but most importantly a Leader. A leader who fully understands my responsibility and role to preserve, extend, and defend the peace that I have built through my military service. I have learned that as a leader I am responsible for those in my charge. To teach, mold and pass on the rich traditions of the military, and the pride and honor that come with wearing the uniform. I learned that I have to set the example for my subordinates to follow, through how I wear the uniform, my custom and courtesies, and through my ability to take personal responsibility for everything I do. I wish to bring these ethos, responsibility, and tradition of excellence I’ve embraced in the Air Force and carry them forward to the Navy. Being a leader is more than just telling people what to do, but being able to lead them in such a way that they want to do it without being asked. It is about showing them how their part in a mission plays a role in the overall success of that mission. But it is also about building the foundations to make those around you a better leader then you were. Through my enlisted career I have seen how leadership also means embracing core values and applying those values to everything we do, and to our everyday lives. I believe that through a selection to Officer Candidate School and being commissioned in the Navy, I will have the opportunity to be that leader that not only leads, but inspires others to lead and build future leaders.

Quick feedback from a glancing look, try not to duplicate anything the board will see in other parts of your application.

What are you trying for?

MR

SWO and logistics. Some of the stuff is in My Letters of Recommendations. The Officers and Senior NCOs wanted a "talking points" document that had that stuff in it. What are you referencing as "other parts"?

exNavyOffRec

SWO and logistics. Some of the stuff is in My Letters of Recommendations. The Officers and Senior NCOs wanted a "talking points" document that had that stuff in it. What are you referencing as "other parts"?

you may not have gone far in the application process or you probably would understand, they will know you degree, school and GPA from you GPA calculation sheet, you will be submitting awards (board really doesn't care about awards), leadership is a very good thing to talk about.

basically the motivational statement should be the last piece, so if you look through the application and see items mentioned don't duplicate, they spend a few minutes on each application, do you really want them to miss something that is potentially going to say yes because they are reading other items twice?

Kraner

Been lurking for a few months and almost ready to submit for the Oct/Nov NFO board (and SWO if I don't get ProRec'd). I wrote up two motivation statements; the theme is the same, the substance is different. So, as is, which would you recommend working on? I know I need to tidy both up and add a bit about flight. Thanks in advance!

Statement 1
..........My journey, in becoming an Officer the U.S. Navy, began in 2010. I had applied for the academy, and was not offered an appointment. However, I am still on the road today because I have endured. Endurance is an attribute that cannot be attained without first achieving complementary abilities. These include, but are not limited to: commitment, patience, and learning from failures along the way.
..........As I continue to refine my own endurance, I have found the best part is not being selfish with it, but being selfless instead. In all aspects of my life I strive to help others enhance their own endurance. This is most evident regarding track. As a senior a freshman wanted to beat my 1600m record. I informed him of the commitment it would require. He said, “Okay, let’s do it”. Together we worked hard through the off-season, but at the first meet he went out too hard and crossed the line disappointed. We discussed what he could learn from this “failure”; it boiled down to patience. As the season was coming to a close, he had still not achieved his goal. I told him, “You have endured; time to show them”. 5min 16sec later, he did it. Because of this leadership I was offered a position as volunteer coach. By organizing endurance focused off-season workouts, the freshman record has been re-set every year. I cannot take all the credit for those individuals’ successes, but it is wonderful to aid them in breaking barriers. And that freshman, he is now a Marine, who, after graduating from Parris Island, thanked me for pushing him.
..........With these experiences, and the others noted in my package, I feel I am prepared to take on the challenges of OCS. If selected I look forward to extending endurance to my future team of Sailors.

Statement 2
..........My journey, in becoming an Officer in the United States Armed Forces, has been turbulent since it began in 2010. However, I am still on the road because I have endured. Endurance is an attribute that cannot be attained without first achieving complementary abilities. These include, but are not limited to: commitment, patience, and learning from failures along the way. I believe having these skills, and seeking to relentlessly build on them, will help me develop into the Officer the U.S. Navy is looking for.
..........Serving our country has been a definitive goal of mine since my formative years. Then I began to do research into military careers and found the officer role intriguing. Leadership is an important quality of an officer, so I took on roles such as Class Vice President and joined the Junior Fair Board. As a senior I was ready to go through the process of applying to the academies. Despite receiving nominations to all four academies, none offered an appointment. Some may consider this a “failure”, but I viewed it as an opportunity to continue building my endurance. Because my research showed there was a chance at becoming an officer through OCS.
.........Throughout my undergraduate career I remained committed to the goal and challenged myself. My day began at 06:00 working at our family business. Record keeping, clients, building maintenance all required full commitment to keep the doors open. My day continued with a heavy course load along with tutoring Physics and Organic Chemistry during the afternoon. Helping students understand difficult concepts and processes required patience. I had to embrace that each individual was different, but could progress when we worked as a team. After school I would run off-season workouts for my high school track team. Although the workouts were difficult the athletes took inspiration from me as I would be right alongside them. The results showed when they hit the track in the spring.
.........Through these experiences, and others, I feel I am prepared to take on the challenges of OCS. Once an officer I look forward to extending endurance to my team of enlisted sailors.

Kraner

A little bit more about me, since it won't let me go back and update the post.

Applying for NFO/SWO (SNA would be awesome, but 20/100 and -2.5)
21 (22 Thursday!)
3.677, B.S. Biology, Ohio State, May 2015
56 6/6/5 (should have been a 6, screwed the first listening part up ha)
Job References - Physics Tutor, Organic Chemistry TA, Family Business
Character References - CWO4 USN (ret.), fellow track coach, college professor
Physical Activity - IRONMAN and Marathon

dbluestyle

A little bit more about me, since it won't let me go back and update the post.

Applying for NFO/SWO (SNA would be awesome, but 20/100 and -2.5)
21 (22 Thursday!)
3.677, B.S. Biology, Ohio State, May 2015
56 6/6/5 (should have been a 6, screwed the first listening part up ha)
Job References - Physics Tutor, Organic Chemistry TA, Family Business
Character References - CWO4 USN (ret.), fellow track coach, college professor
Physical Activity - IRONMAN and Marathon

If you are a non-prior I would recommend you to make it longer (under visible space). Besides that, it looks pretty good. Make sure you don't repeat information mentioned in your application form.

Kraner

Thanks for your advise @dbluestyle . I believe this is the version I am going to go with (edited from the 2 statements above). That is unless anyone sees anything glaring. 445 words.

___My journey, in becoming an Officer in the U.S. Navy, began in 2010. I had applied for the academy, and was not offered an appointment. However, I am still on the road today because I have endured. Endurance is an attribute that cannot be attained without first achieving complementary abilities. These include, but are not limited to: commitment, patience, and learning from failures along the way.
___During my formative years family educated me about the Navy’s Core Values. Several friends and I endeavored to embody Honor, Courage, and Commitment as we established our endurance. Through 4-H, we learned that projects become enriched when we commit to completing them as a team. It took that community to foster my courage. They empowered a leader to emerge from the shy shell I occupied as a young child. At the conclusion of our commitment to 4-H, we had the honor of forwarding our values to future club leaders. For the Navy I will renew my embodiment of the Core Values as I study the systems of ships or flight and become an officer.
___As I continue to refine my endurance, I have found the best part is not being selfish with it, but being selfless instead. In all aspects of my life I strive to help others enhance their own endurance. This is most evident regarding track. As a senior, a freshman wanted to beat my 1600m record. I informed him of the commitment it would require and he obliged to give his all. Together we worked hard through the off-season. But, at the first meet he went out too fast and crossed the line disappointed. We discussed what he could learn from this failure; it boiled down to patience. As the season was coming to a close, he had still not achieved his goal. I told him, “You have endured; time to show them”. 5min 16sec later, he did it. Because of this leadership I obtained a position as a volunteer coach. By organizing off-season workouts focused on endurance, the freshman record has been re-set every year. I cannot take the credit for those individuals’ successes, but it is great to aid them in breaking barriers.
___We never took a formal oath, but those 4-H friends are now serving in the Navy, Army, and Air Force. And that freshman, he is now a Marine. Living by the Core Values has improved not only my life, but those around me as well. With these experiences, and the others noted in my package, I feel I am prepared to take on the challenges of OCS. If selected, I look forward to extending endurance to my future team of Sailors.

clevy.clev

Hey, all. I too would like some critiques on my OCS motivational statement. I am in the middle of putting a package together to apply for the following (in this order): PAO, Intel, IP, IW, Oceano. I'll post my motivational statement below, and while you are critiquing, keep in mind that this is quite literally my very first draft (I have yet to do any revisions, stylistic editing, or crap-cutting), and that I tend to write in a more literary fashion naturally so my motivational statement came out the same way. One other disclaimer is that many of the points that I make are geared heavily toward the PAO board, as otherwise I feel that I am not a particularly strong pick for the community and the program is extremely competitive, so I'm really trying to implicitly sell myself to that board without saying "PAOs! This is for you!!!".

A little more about my package: I have 3 LORs, one from a previous CO, one from a professor, and one from an Air Force Major that I was in A-school with (I am a CTI3). I am a 25 year old male, and I have yet to take the OAR (doing that next week, shooting for at least a 60).

Alright...without further ado!

-------

Unlike most, I can function well amidst chaos. What I fear more is stagnation, the death of one’s aspiration to achieve more. Fighting stagnation requires that one venture outside their comfort zone, so rather than shying away from merely temporary disarray, my modus operandi has often been to opt for the “game changer”, for example transplanting myself to another country at a still formative age, or enlisting in the Navy. By remaining dynamic I have discovered new facets of myself, such as my natural passion for leading and teaching, and my desire to develop myself and my abilities. I believe that my purpose lies in Naval leadership and decision-making, and that my civilian education, teaching experience, and enlisted experience will uniquely aid me in developing the technical and executive proficiencies and qualities expected of a Naval officer.

I have a degree in Linguistics, have written countless academic and creative works, and have earned a Colorado statewide award for creative writing; I have a love for the art of expression. I also have years of experience in sales and teaching with distinguished results. Where sales, teaching, and writing cross is at the essential ability to successfully sell an idea and motivate others to action via effective communication. Being a linguist, I am well attuned to the effects of connotations of words and visual imagery as well as the linguistic techniques used to influence an audience; I possess a thorough command of verbal and written communication, a fundamental skill of any great leader.

Having taught non-English speaking audiences with non-English speaking coworkers I have experienced firsthand the more improvisational aspects of leadership. Being the only native speaker often meant that only I could effectively manage a task, thus I became the de facto director of the project and my ability to delegate was critical. At other times however, it meant that only I could complete the task at all; these occasions tested my self-reliance. Such skills have lent themselves well in my military leadership roles, for example in spearheading morale events, or acting as divisional Squad Leader and Building Petty Officer. In fulfilling such important command collaterals I earned a Certificate of Commendation for military excellence. I also completed the EIDWS qualification months ahead of my peers, further demonstrating my motivation to excel.

I strive to always drive forward in life and pursue my ambitions, which have culminated in Naval leadership. I see myself as source of motivation for shipmates to accomplish personal goals and the Navy’s missions, and for this reason, I must consistently endeavor to improve myself and have chosen a commission as a Naval officer as my next step forward.

happyhourchris

I'm fly... I'm pilot.
pilot
@clevy.clev

First of all, I'm assuming you are currently on active duty or in the reserves? If so, you should be doing a fleet package, which limits you to 250 words for each of your two "personal statements." The first thing I would do is minimize the stuff pertaining to your degree, Navy quals, and extracurriculars. You should be able to highlight these elsewhere on the fleet OCS app (page 4 I believe). Perhaps mention the aforementioned items as they pertain to your leadership abilities, but be brief. That being said, I would cut out paragraph three and rework and condense the remaining paragraphs. With only 250 words available, you have to be straight and to the point. Of course I would take this advice with a grain of salt; I just submitted my first package. This is basically the advice my XO gave to me as he chopped the hell out of my first draft.

clevy.clev

@clevy.clev

First of all, I'm assuming you are currently on active duty or in the reserves? If so, you should be doing a fleet package, which limits you to 250 words for each of your two "personal statements." The first thing I would do is minimize the stuff pertaining to your degree, Navy quals, and extracurriculars. You should be able to highlight these elsewhere on the fleet OCS app (page 4 I believe). Perhaps mention the aforementioned items as they pertain to your leadership abilities, but be brief. That being said, I would cut out paragraph three and rework and condense the remaining paragraphs. With only 250 words available, you have to be straight and to the point. Of course I would take this advice with a grain of salt; I just submitted my first package. This is basically the advice my XO gave to me as he chopped the hell out of my first draft.

Thanks for the feedback! You're right...I actually started writing this before I knew about how our application requirements are slightly different from civilian ones. So now I'm in the process of trimming it down to fit the 250. Getting rid of the quals and whatnot will help, but with my warfare pin I wanted to use the speed with which I obtained it as a testament to my motivation. Would you recommend removing that?

Paragraph 3 is where I highlight how my teaching experience has taught me a lot about leadership...are you saying to get rid of that?

NathanSmart

I'm planning to go for SWO whenever the next board meets. I'm also planning on submitting my ASPR to my recruiter by the end of the week so feedback would be appreciated. For the ASPR there is no word limit so I don't have to worry about that but I'm not immune to suggesting about cutting out parts deemed unnecessary. Thanks guys this forum is great.

I was born in a small town to a single mother and lacked a stable father figure growing up. To supplement this void I turned to reading and absorbed many tales of high adventure and travel. I particularly enjoyed Treasure Island and the relationship between Long John Silver and the main character Jim Hawkings. As I grew older I discarded fiction and turned to more historic books to supplement my absence. I especially began at this time to obsessively read about great soldiers and generals whose lasting legacy was written down for future generations. Themistocles, Alexander, Pyrrhus, Caesar, and Napoleon were all figures I looked up to and admired. Later in life I gained a stepfather who proved vital and essential to my upbringing and allowed me to distance myself from my earlier heroes and judge them from a more critical distance. It was at this point I greatly fell in love with naval history and naval warfare. Reading about Admiral Nelson’s exploits at Trafalgar was vital to my formative years. I took this love of history to college where I graduated with a Bachelors of Arts in History from Missouri Western State University.

I desire to join the Navy because it has core values that I consider to be vital for a career. Those values are a strong sense of purpose and drive, as well as strong family values and a merit culture wherein natural leaders advance and rise through the ranks. Above all the Navy, more than any of the other branches of the military, seems like a place where camaraderie and honor are highly valued. I desire to get to know and learn from the other sailors, to have more experiences that will help me grow and challenge myself to constantly improve. I want to live a life like those I have read in books and at the same time have responsibility and command that only a select few will manage to achieve.

Leadership is the most important quality for any officer and I am qualified to assume this privilege. In preparation for this career I have assumed various positions of leadership throughout my life. At my job through the school library I was able to rise through the ranks and gain responsibility and authority over others. During the summers I helped direct and plan the projects that needed to be completed which were highly stressful and demanding. In karate I help younger students by setting a good example and being a role model. This includes assisting the sensei in an after school program which highlights successful strategies for teenagers. In addition to being a full time student in college, and at times working two jobs, I was nominated to become a member of our chapter history fraternity Phi Alpha Theta, where I was then elected vice-president. My duties were to help run necessary operations in the organization; direct and manage our chapter treasurer and secretary, and plan events and programs for current and future members.

I am also driven to intellectual pursuits and am diligent in my perseverance to acquire knowledge. When studying for the OAR I threw myself into the process and through hard work and perseverance I was able to improve my math skills and obtain a basic knowledge of physics and engineering I never had before and which I hope to continue study of. I read voraciously and am always looking to expand and improve my knowledge base. Currently I am studying and learning the Russian language and am making excellent progress. I am looking forward to expand my nautical knowledge and am very confident I will succeed and come out on top of whatever challenge awaits me.

My communication skills are also exemplary and would be a great asset as a Naval Officer. Working at the library and other various customer service related jobs I have excellent interpersonal skills and am able to connect with others on a personal and professional level. Volunteering at the National World War I Museum and Memorial where I repeatedly and frequently interact with the public has only strengthened these qualities. Communication is a vital part of not only the military but in every aspect of life especially in roles pertaining to leadership.

It is a common question to ask where one sees themselves five to ten years from now? My answer to this query is I see myself serving in the greatest Navy in the world, serving alongside and commanding some of the best and brightest citizens in this country. I see myself bearing responsibility and leading from the front, upholding Admiral Nelson’s final order to his men in which he states “Everyman is expected to do his duty.” I see myself accomplishing goals and missions in service of and from the help of this service. I see myself as a sailor in the United States Navy.