• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Motivational Statement MEGA Thread

Robby

Mmm... Butter Bars
I have not yet had this edited by others, so feel free to tear it apart and make corrections as needed. It's lengthy, but still does not fill the available space on the application. Sorry in advance if it is too wordy.

Serving my country is something that I have wanted to do for many years. Every July, my church hosts a Sunday morning service to honor those who have served and who are currently serving in the United States military. The 4th of July service has been a touching reminder of what the generations before me have sacrificed in order to ensure the safety and freedoms of today. When I look at the lives of the former military members, I see self-motivated men and women who take pride in their work. I believe it is no coincidence that many of the hardest working individuals in my church are former military members. This shows me that the military can instill a work ethic unmatched by civilian careers. It is this thought that inspired me to consider joining the armed forces.

Unlike many who apply for a commission, I have not known exactly what career path I wanted to take until recently. I decided to major in International Business after realizing that it would provide me with the most interesting opportunities. It was not long until I developed an appreciation for business management and recognized my desire to pursue a career in this field. As I neared graduation, I researched several companies and spoke with my career advisor, but I found it difficult to get excited about typical office jobs. My wife and I had continued to circle back to the military route until we finally realized that this is what best fits us. I have spoken to several friends and family members in the services and have carefully considered their advice. After looking closely at both the available jobs in each of the services and at the expectations of the officers, I have come to the conclusion that I am best suited as Navy Supply Corps Officer. My interest in business management and my ability to work efficiently with others will serve the Navy well.

I have been blessed with many opportunities to rise to leadership positions and have learned much from them. Leadership styles may vary greatly, but successful leaders realize the importance of effective communication. In my two years of marriage I have learned more about communicating than at any other time in my life. I could have read volumes about effective communication, but the true test was my relationship with my wife. The toughest lesson for me to learn was to clearly state my expectations without making any assumptions. This was a lesson not learned as a team captain, section leader, or group member, but as a husband. Effective communication is necessary for a Supply Corps Officer to ensure that goals are being met. I plan to use these skills as a Supply Corps Officer to not only ensure that jobs are being done well, but to also build and maintain close, professional relationships with others working with me.

I believe my leadership abilities will contribute to my effectiveness as a Naval Officer. Balancing many roles while meeting my goals with multiple groups has provided me with ample experience in working efficiently with others. I understand that Supply Corps Officers work alongside several others who have their own duties. I look forward to working in the fast-paced environment to which I am well accustomed.

My decision to join the Supply Corps is not one that is ill considered. I have looked closely at the Navy’s requirements and I understand the lifestyle that my family will be expected to live. My wife and I are prepared to face the hardships that may lie ahead. We look forward to the life as an officer and to proudly serving in the United States Navy. Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to apply for this position.

GreenLantern330

I have not yet had this edited by others, so feel free to tear it apart and make corrections as needed. It's lengthy, but still does not fill the available space on the application. Sorry in advance if it is too wordy.

Serving my country is something that I have wanted to do for many years. Every July, my church hosts a Sunday morning service to honor those who have served and who are currently serving in the United States military. The 4th of July service has been a touching reminder of what the generations before me have sacrificed in order to ensure the safety and freedoms of today. When I look at the lives of the former military members, I see self-motivated men and women who take pride in their work. I believe it is no coincidence that many of the hardest working individuals in my church are former military members. This shows me that the military can instill a work ethic unmatched by civilian careers. It is this thought that inspired me to consider joining the armed forces.

Unlike many who apply for a commission, I have not known exactly what career path I wanted to take until recently. I decided to major in International Business after realizing that it would provide me with the most interesting opportunities. It was not long until I developed an appreciation for business management and recognized my desire to pursue a career in this field. As I neared graduation, I researched several companies and spoke with my career advisor, but I found it difficult to get excited about typical office jobs. My wife and I had continued to circle back to the military route until we finally realized that this is what best fits us. I have spoken to several friends and family members in the services and have carefully considered their advice. After looking closely at both the available jobs in each of the services and at the expectations of the officers, I have come to the conclusion that I am best suited as Navy Supply Corps Officer. My interest in business management and my ability to work efficiently with others will serve the Navy well.

I have been blessed with many opportunities to rise to leadership positions and have learned much from them. Leadership styles may vary greatly, but successful leaders realize the importance of effective communication. In my two years of marriage I have learned more about communicating than at any other time in my life. I could have read volumes about effective communication, but the true test was my relationship with my wife. The toughest lesson for me to learn was to clearly state my expectations without making any assumptions. This was a lesson not learned as a team captain, section leader, or group member, but as a husband. Effective communication is necessary for a Supply Corps Officer to ensure that goals are being met. I plan to use these skills as a Supply Corps Officer to not only ensure that jobs are being done well, but to also build and maintain close, professional relationships with others working with me.

I believe my leadership abilities will contribute to my effectiveness as a Naval Officer. Balancing many roles while meeting my goals with multiple groups has provided me with ample experience in working efficiently with others. I understand that Supply Corps Officers work alongside several others who have their own duties. I look forward to working in the fast-paced environment to which I am well accustomed.

My decision to join the Supply Corps is not one that is ill considered. I have looked closely at the Navy’s requirements and I understand the lifestyle that my family will be expected to live. My wife and I are prepared to face the hardships that may lie ahead. We look forward to the life as an officer and to proudly serving in the United States Navy. Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to apply for this position.

If this is your motivational statement, is it at most 400 words? And also, I see what you're trying to explain, but I feel like you gave your entire life story. At least that's just my opinion. I hardly ever give feedback on these. Just my $0.02.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
If this is your motivational statement, is it at most 400 words? And also, I see what you're trying to explain, but I feel like you gave your entire life story. At least that's just my opinion. I hardly ever give feedback on these. Just my $0.02.

The new form (supposedly, I haven't seen it) allows for a much larger motivational statement. It allows you to use all available space, not establishing an arbitrary length.

GreenLantern330

The new form (supposedly, I haven't seen it) allows for a much larger motivational statement. It allows you to use all available space, not establishing an arbitrary length.

Oh crap. I guess I'll have to ask my OR about it. He never told me about a new application. So far I've been writing my motivational statement to keep it under/around 400 words, although I feel like even if I could go way beyond that given the new application's standards, brevity would be key.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Motivational Statement...

Whew! I made it... Seriously I don't know if I'm tired or what but I barely made it through the second paragraph. Then I realized I wasn't even half way through! Yes your are right it is extremely long and drawn out! ;)...

Alright lets get down to business. First, I think there might be 20% of that I would use towards a motivational statement. It is spread out so much I'm not going to try snagging it out. But honestly the rest is just you putting words on paper in my opinion. Second, I realize this is a decision you are making with your family for your family. But don't mention your wife in your statement as often as you have and using terms like "we." She isn't signing her name to the paperwork. If you get a divorce while in the Navy does that mean you don't want to be in anymore? I would stay away from including her in your statement but that is just me! Third, you mentioned leadership several times in your statement. Well, I can mention leadership too... Does that mean I have it? How about you back your claims up with some substance. Finally, when you begin rewriting this thing, changing it, or whatever you plan on doing make sure you remember these questions. Why I want to be a Naval Officer, What do I have to offer the Navy, and Why should the Navy choose me. Sorry if I sound negative or come across like an ass right now as that isn't my intention. Good Luck and I hope this helps.

mbstroz

Marc (IP Ensign)
For form NAVCRUIT 1131/238 (REV 10-2010(2)), part 16 says this now. No length limit.

16. APPLICANT'S MOTIVATIONAL STATEMENT (Limited to the visible area.)

Robby

Mmm... Butter Bars
Oh crap. I guess I'll have to ask my OR about it. He never told me about a new application. So far I've been writing my motivational statement to keep it under/around 400 words, although I feel like even if I could go way beyond that given the new application's standards, brevity would be key.

I knew mine was long, but I only filled about 70% of the available space. Thanks for the reply though, I'll keep brevity in mind.

Robby

Mmm... Butter Bars
twobecrazy,

Thanks for trying to get through it. I'll cut out the "we" and focus more on me. I tried to put myself on paper so the reader may know more about me. Went to far with it, eh?

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
I knew mine was long, but I only filled about 70% of the available space.

Don't worry about filling the space. It is much better if you use only 25% of the space using clear, concise, and direct statements than fill the space with a bunch of fluff that the board doesn't care about. Thus, the brevity statement. ;)

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
twobecrazy,

Thanks for trying to get through it. I'll cut out the "we" and focus more on me. I tried to put myself on paper so the reader may know more about me. Went to far with it, eh?

No problem. I was just giving you shit because you brought up that it was long winded. ;)...

Yea you went too far with it though. You need to focus on you. After all this is about you and your desire to join the Navy as an officer. Your statement sounded more like an intro to the forum than it did a formal well thought out explanation/reasoning of your desire.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Alright, I'm doing this next post because most of the statements I have read lately has too much FLUFF. Hopefully we can fix this now. Below I have an example paragraph which I made up and a revised paragraph.

When I was 17 my son was born and I married my wife shortly after that. I decided the best way for me to support my family was to drop out of high school, earn my GED, and begin working. I felt unfulfilled as a gas station attendant so I started college in the Spring of 2009 at Westfield Community College in Andover, Mississippi.

I quickly learned that to maintain a high GPA I had to work hard. But shortly after I began school my grandfather who raised me died. He used to tell me stories about his time in the Navy. After his death I felt a desire to join the Navy. I’m seeking a commission in the United States Navy to become a Planetary Activation Organizer.

Revised Paragraph:

I learned responsibility at a young age while facing adversity. I maintained a strong GPA while my son was being born and my grandfather passed away. I worked tediously to provide for my family. Time and resource management became essential. The Navy requires its Officers to be responsible for their actions. BLAH BLAH BLAH...

Alright, hopefully you get my point now. Do you guys see where I'm going with that? Do you see how that is stronger? Do you see how you are adding too much fluff? I hit on key points that are extremely strong I highlighted them in bold if you can't see them. But I'm conveying what qualities I believe a Navy Officer should have but stating that I have those qualities. So basically I'm telling the Navy why they should select me and why I would make a good officer. Get it?

craftingraptor

Dreaming about the P-8A
pilot
Early on in my childhood I had the auspices of an incredibly moral and noble man, whose pragmatic approach to life provided the foundation for an existence based on responsibility, selflessness, duty, and honor. ...more words...

At this point in time, if I were asked to describe the single most defining moment of my life, I would undoubtedly falter with what would seem an adequate response...more words...

As a twenty-five year old, college educated and a newly certified flight instructor, I currently find myself standing at a crossroads of opportunity. ...more words...

PacManAdams, I am by no means the highest authority on essay editing, but I have a couple rules that keep me faced in the right direction.

1) Make every word count, and with every paragraph, make sure every topic sentence counts. All three topic sentences above lost me. All for different reasons, the first because it's too flowery, the second didn't have a definitive meaning and the third started out alright and then just ended. I'm sure you'd come to the same conclusion if you had a buddy read it over.

2) Reserve writing space for words with a purpose. Cut out the fluff. I know this is a draft, but man, you know why they trim the rose bushes, right? If I say "I am pretty awesome," the word 'pretty' actually takes away from my awesomeness. Soon your essay will be a bold statement instead of some undoubtedly wonderful expose on who you are.

that mike guy

JSUPT primary @ VAFB, Enid, OK
@Robby

Overall it is well written and gets your point across. I agree that fluff is a bad thing, even in moderation. However there are some situations where you can only edit a paragraph down so much before it loses the meaning you are trying to get across. Brevity is not always the best way to go; they raised the word limit for a reason. I have read some outstanding sub-400 word letters and also some that would probably have been equally as terrible if they had been 1000+.

An outline of mine goes something like this (slightly less than 900 words, pro-recd SNA in Nov, and no, I don't think I'm an amazing writer, but I know that I'm not bad either). Bear with me here.

-After telling what I wanted to do (fly) I explained why I didn't have my PPL (parents, scholarships, extracurriculars) and threw some background (JROTC and other leadership roles) while talking about end of high school/early college.
-Next paragraph I talked of volunteering and wanting to help others (threw in a bit of background about my fraternity, set stage for a mental image @ closing of statement).
-Next paragraph I talked about my degree and graduating. I wanted to fly long before graduating, but parents didn't like military idea (went to grad school, got a fellowship that paid for it in full (shows initiative/intelligence/other positive adjective :p). told parents want to fly (left grad school, turn back on full ride, may or may not have been a good choice)
-Next three short paragraphs sum up why I did not apply sooner, why I would like to be a pilot and officer in the navy, and why I want to serve my country (end with touching mental image :p)

The reason I outlined my statement here is that I want to let you know it's okay to have some fluff as long as its meaningful (does that make it not fluff?) and contributes to your "story". While being brief might be appreciated by the readers, remember that this is your only chance to connect on a personal level with the people who will ultimately say yes or no to your possible new life; while your LoR's give them some insight into who you are, a well written, slightly more lengthy, more personal letter could possibly leave the board feeling that they have met with and talked to you in person, giving them more confidence in professionally recommending you.

I would note that my original was almost 1300 words and that I went back, rephrased and trimmed some fat off to cut it down to almost 900 (see twobe, I do agree with you lol :p).

Just my $.02 though.

Now for a bit of criticism.

1) Although already said, definitely get rid of we; it is you that is applying, not your wife also :p. Something along the lines of "we both look forward to my. . .
2) This last sentence feels unnecessary to me. Almost like you are apologizing for wasting their time. I know if it was a personal interview, you would thank them before leaving, but it's not; you want to leave on a note that puts a smile on their face and/or really hammers your point across so that their is a smile on their faces when they put it down. The sentence prior to this one seems like a much better note to end on.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
I would note that my original was almost 1300 words and that I went back, rephrased and trimmed some fat off to cut it down to almost 900 (see twobe, I do agree with you lol :p).

I'm glad you agree even though you are wrong! Just kidding... ;)

By all means I'm not the only one able to give criticism on how a motivational statement should be constructed. That is why I believe people posting a rough draft on here will benefit from the different views of successful applicants. My advice is merely to help them with the rough draft and polish it into something more substantial in my opinion.

Just so you know I believe my motivational statement was less than 250 words. Although it was originally constructed on the old application I didn't change it to fit more in line with the new. I was Pro-Rec'd in October so there! :p