• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Motivational Statement MEGA Thread

extraschmedium

GPA: B.S - 2.68 - Aviation Management, M.S. - 4.0 - Aviation Safety
Scores: 60, 8,8,6
Going for SNA

Feeling generally OK but I know my undergraduate GPA is pretty trash. I wasn't focused and didn't care much as long as I got my degree. Fast forward to 2020 when I started my journey of becoming an Officer in the Navy and I was told I should get another degree to show I am capable. Will my 4.0 in my Master's help as much as I was lead on to believe? Submitted for the Aug 1 board.

afies

I am about to go to officer recruiter in the next 2 weeks or so and I have been starting my motivational statement and just wanted to know a few things. A huge reason I want to join is to be a great leader that listens to those I lead while keeping the mission at focus and to be there for the sailors for anything they might need help with so I was wondering would it be weird or out of place to mention hopefully being able to try to help sailors with their mental health as something I could bring the to Navy. I want to clarify by help I don't mean from the medical or therapy perspective but to just be there and feel like they could come to me about what is bothering them and to see if I can make their day just little less stressful and better. appreciate all feedback.

Last edited:

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I am about to go to officer recruiter in the next 2 weeks or so and I have been starting my motivational statement and just wanted to know a few things. A huge reason I want to join is to be a great leader that listens to those I lead while keeping the mission at focus and to be there for the sailors for anything they might need help with so I was wondering would it be weird or out of place to mention hopefully being able to try to help sailors with their mental health as something I could bring the to Navy. I want to clarify by help I don't mean from the medical or therapy perspective but to just be there and feel like they could come to me about what is bothering them and to see if I can make their day just little less stressful and better. Thank you and appreciate all feedback.

What are you applying for?

exNavyOffRec

I will be applying for SWO.
You should talk about what you have done, if you have been in a leadership position what you did and what the result was.

There is a chain of command, if there is something bothering them they should be going to their LPO or LCPO and then the LCPO should be telling you what is going on, or the sailor if feels the need should go talk to a doc in medical.

As a JO you are going to be to busy doing your job to be doing the job your LCPO or LPO should be doing.

WorldWar33.3

My GPA is trash (2.61 in Communication). Should I even bother addressing it in my statement for SNA? Will board members look through my transcripts and point out my weak semesters?

My ASTB is 6/7/6.

My GPA is trash (2.61 in Communication). Should I even bother addressing it in my statement for SNA? Will board members look through my transcripts and point out my weak semesters?

My ASTB is 6/7/6.
It’s your only chance to put some justification so why not? Although, tread lightly because as an officer placing blame on others or situations is not how leaders handle failures. Leaders take ownership and learn from their mistakes so I would take that approach. I would make it clear that you learn from your mistakes, learned from them, and are better off. (Maybe things like time management, communication, and discipline or something)

Just my opinion!

WorldWar33.3

It’s your only chance to put some justification so why not? Although, tread lightly because as an officer placing blame on others or situations is not how leaders handle failures. Leaders take ownership and learn from their mistakes so I would take that approach. I would make it clear that you learn from your mistakes, learned from them, and are better off. (Maybe things like time management, communication, and discipline or something)

Just my opinion!
Thanks man! That's the answer I was looking for!

exNavyOffRec

Just my opinion!

Thanks man! That's the answer I was looking for!
The aviation board rarely if ever reads any motivational statements, you either have the scores that will indicate probably success in flight school or you don't.

Rtjenkins

Ricky Jenkins
I've been trying to write my motivational statement for a couple hours now, and I am finally finished with my rough draft. I've read some posts where you guys gave some great feedback to some other statements.... so anyway whadaya think?

And by the way, I am TERRIBLE at expressing myself...:icon_tong

--------------------------------------------------------------

I believe that an officer in the US Navy should be patriotic and have a spirit of adventure and devotion beyond reproach and found seldom elsewhere. My character and willingness to learn make me an ideal candidate for OCS and the aviation community.
I could write volumes on why I love The United States, but I hope to let a distinguished record of service to my country stand as proof of my patriotism many years from now. Instead, I’ll say that it is that spirit of adventure and of being on the cutting edge that draws me to the Navy. I am also drawn to life at sea and in the air. Having spent the vast majority of my life in Kentucky, I am eager and willing to experience some change and to work in an environment where the work is more necessary than trivial in the grand scheme of things. I also hope to have a career where I can believe that the purpose of my work is vital, and for the sake of people’s lives, I would not seek a commission if I felt unable to meet the demands.
I am comfortable in leadership roles, and I am comfortable following. I focus not so much on my hierarchical standing as I do on the job at hand and it’s relation to the goal at hand. Ultimately, the role that provides the best outcome, the role at which I am most useful, is the one I want to play. The Navy interests me because I would not only have the opportunity to lead the best, but I would also have the chance to learn from and work with for the best our country has to offer. I view the naval aviation community as one of trust and teamwork, a community where one person can make little difference but a few can make quite an impact. I want more than anything else to be on that team, and I am certain that I can contribute to that team.
Your desire is to be pilot right? If so, the aviation community thrives more on your ASTB scores over anything else. 2nd your stat meant isn’t bad, just be clear consume in why you’re a good candidate and what you bring to the table. I like it

68Chev

Hello. First time posting in this thread. I would appreciate some honest feedback on my motivational statement. I feel like I should get a bit more detailed but I don't wanna include insignificant stuff or fluff. I also feel like when it comes to the thin line of "sincere" and "cocky/arrogant" I might be on the arrogant side but I cant fully tell.

Attachments

• MOTIVATIONAL STATEMENT.pdf
    28.7 KB · Views: 83